Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales, the Midlands & South West England Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Had 6.2mm since midnight according to the manual rain gauges, bringing the monthly total to over 100mm.

Hasn't felt especially wet this month though with quite a lot of dry/mostly dry days. Certainly not as wet as summer months in 2012 and some previous years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

21.6 mm here yesterday,  the wettest day since May 22nd which recorded 22.6 mm. I haven't recorded a single day this year with more than 25.4 mm which is remarkable considering how wet the year has been so far.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The rain has eased now and soon drying up in this N/E breeze, Gusting 19.7mph just, With an average speed of 15.6mph. Temp 11.9c

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

I had no more rain after the main front cleared yesterday, so 30.4mm it stayed at.3.8mm this morning. Currently there's a few sunny spells and it's 17.5°C

We have had light to moderate rain on and off all morning.

In the past 15 minutes it has turned positively monsoon-like with torrential rain and no wind. True 'stair rods' stuff with gutters overflowing all round.feeling both for the poor Dorset campers on the bank holiday week, for exhibitors setting up for the Great Dorset Steam Fair (mudbath?) and for any farmers who still have crops awaiting harvest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

We have had light to moderate rain on and off all morning.In the past 15 minutes it has turned positively monsoon-like with torrential rain and no wind. True 'stair rods' stuff with gutters overflowing all round.feeling both for the poor Dorset campers on the bank holiday week, for exhibitors setting up for the Great Dorset Steam Fair (mudbath?) and for any farmers who still have crops awaiting harvest.

In the midst of a moderate shower now (up to 5mm)I can see you're getting hit hard from the radar, hard!y any movement either. :)post-15177-0-93199900-1409055906_thumb.pThe rain that fell yesterday and today almost matches what I had from the 1st to the 24th- it was heading for another below average month.

Posted

Its strange, the sky is relatively bright (even the odd speck of blue) but it continues to tip down. It has eased a bit now to normal heavy rain. Hopefully this band will clear and I can get the dogs out for their exercise!

I wish my weather station was still working but that gave up the ghost a couple of years back - I wont get another unless it is made of robust material - the plastic failed on the old one (not UV protected). I suspect we have had near;y 50mm over the two days but I might be under estimating a bit at that.

Edited by egret

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Its strange, the sky is relatively bright (even the odd speck of blue) but it continues to tip down. It has eased a bit now to normal heavy rain. Hopefully this band will clear and I can get the dogs out for their exercise!

I wish my weather station was still working but that gave up the ghost a couple of years back - I wont get another unless it is made of robust material - the plastic failed on the old one (not UV protected). I suspect we have had near;y 50mm over the two days but I might be under estimating a bit at that.

You're lucky, I seem to be in a zone of no showers at all when they're forecast to be right over the top of me, though they should move in later from the E.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Was woken up at almost 2am last night by the Power Station making what can only be recognised as a combination of an F5 hurtling towards my house or a screaming jumbo jet landing on my front lawn. Apparently letting off pressure after it built up too much in the boiler. It was panic station for a moment! Some really quite heavy rain on and off around midnight.

Posted

Dark bases appearing to my northeast. Already had some cracking homegrown showers today, the radar suggests the heaviest are yet to come.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

It does look as though they've got your name on Mapantz! Not looking so bad here, she says with fingers crossed!

Posted

Dark bases appearing to my northeast. Already had some cracking homegrown showers today, the radar suggests the heaviest are yet to come.

Kind of wrong there like me. Heavy showers approaching turning into light crud.

• Like 1

Posted

Kind of wrong there like me. Heavy showers approaching turning into light crud.

Kind of wrong? I've just driven back from Corfe Castle, just a mile away from town and the rain was incredible! Visibility went down to about 20 metres- even saw some lowerings in the cloud base after I got out of the rain core, couldn't tell if there was any signs of rotation, as I was moving.

Posted

Kind of wrong? I've just driven back from Corfe Castle, just a mile away from town and the rain was incredible! Visibility went down to about 20 metres- even saw some lowerings in the cloud base after I got out of the rain core, couldn't tell if there was any signs of rotation, as I was moving.

Ok! Jesus! Radar showed not many intense showers over Wareham!

• Like 1

Posted

Ok! Jesus! Radar showed not many intense showers over Wareham!

All the heavy showers have been deceiving on the radar today. 10mm has fallen though- more than I thought. 40mm in less than two days. :)

Posted

You could well be right. I have just got back from walking in the forest with a view over the Ridgeway between Wool and Weymouth. Dense black cloud along and above the Ridgeway with a clear bright band below the cloud looking out seawards. In silouette below the cloud was what looked very much like a funnel cloud - quite impressive, it was there for probably half a minute before lifting upwards very quickly. It will be interesting to hear if anything was seen in the Broadmayne / Osmington / Preston area. I wish I had taken my camera with me!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

24.8mm measured on the outskirts of Rugby 24 hours to 0900 this morning.

Posted

Nothing left to say regarding this month, worst summer month in my 23 years is enough said.

All eyes now on the glorious September, the new summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Nothing left to say regarding this month, worst summer month in my 23 years is enough said.

All eyes now on the glorious September, the new summer.

sept is summerier than Aug

Posted

It's been a poor month yes but lots of variation from place to place. I have known far wetter Summer months in Conors lifetime, far duller and even cooler ones so not diabolical here by any means.

• Like 1

Posted

And as for the pre Conor era- well mid 80s ... you should ve been there Nuff said!

Posted

Classic heavy burst in Wallisdown around 16:25 which moved through our area around 16:40, stair rods comes to mind (for those who remember them!)

No signs of any rotation in the outburst that went through our area, to your east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Clouds

Another chilly night with a low of 4.7C, current temperature is 11.1C, pressure 1017mb wind light from SE.

It's a overcast at the moment but the cloud should soon clear to give a dry day with some sunny intervals.

Posted

A min temp of 6.8c here last night, Currently Dry and cloudy with a light F3 8.4mph N/E. Temp 10.8c

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Bright morning clouding over, quite windy.