Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I can go out in the rain, but I certainly don't like to, nor do I want to. If I wake up on a dreary Monday morning and open my curtains to see it pouring with rain, I would rather stay in bed, but unfortunately that isn't an option as I have to work, and I certainly don't envy you if you have to work outside while it's raining.

Like the majority of people, I don't appreciate getting wet, unless it's a) in the shower, b) while swimming or c) in a jacuzzi. Rain is simply an unpopular weather phenomenon that most people would happily forgo if it wasn't necessary to sustain crops and replenish reservoirs. I like variety in weather, but drawn-out rain is not something I like. I love thunderstorms, and torrential downpours, but all-day rain events are a big no-no.

I'd seek some help if that's how i would feel about it. It sounds like you have a serious affliction?! :laugh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

In the general public you will find a general dislike for rain. Take my workplace for example. On the approach to lunchtime you always get the usual comments 'will it stay dry?', 'has it stopped raining yet?' when folk are about to venture outside. It does determine what i do with my days off too. If its pouring down i will stay indoors, but if its dry and sunny id be more likely to go for a leisurely drive out or go on a walk. Id imagine the vast majority of people are like me. Thats why i crave warm and sunny summers so much.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I just read latest met office 6-15 day outlook and they mention temperatures near or rather below average but only mention the chance of snow on mountains which makes no sense to me, how can you have snow just for the mountains with below average temperatures in late February, it's a nonsense in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I just read latest met office 6-15 day outlook and they mention temperatures near or rather below average but only mention the chance of snow on mountains which makes no sense to me, how can you have snow just for the mountains with below average temperatures in late February, it's a nonsense in my opinion.

An odd comment karl... Its perfectly feasible and common to have below average temps (c 7-8c) and have wintriness restricted to elevated areas. 3-6c is below average and wont produce snow.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

More cold north-westerlies - they really have been a dominant feature of this winter.

As dominate as they have been they have still delivered jack to the southern half of the British isles. If i didnt know it already i certainly know now after this winter that PM air is pretty much a waste of time for my location and for many others even in deep winter. PM cold=Poor Mans cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

who needs weather charts and forecasting.  we only need to look what the weather is doing on the eastern US seaboard and our weather will be the total opposite.  Extreme cold and snow in Boston and New York usually means snowless and average to mild temperatures in UK.  Just an observation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

who needs weather charts and forecasting.  we only need to look what the weather is doing on the eastern US seaboard and our weather will be the total opposite.  Extreme cold and snow in Boston and New York usually means snowless and average to mild temperatures in UK.  Just an observation.

archivesnh-2009-12-17-0-0.png

• Like 2

Posted

Quite often the case, but not exclusively!

With HLB (High centred over Iceland area) and cold pool in Western Europe it can work in UK's favour.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Such depressing output away from the west. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Such depressing output away from the west. 

depressing outlook unless you live over 300m, give me back last week's anticyclonic gloom

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

I checked the US news last night and couldn't believe that Boston is having more snow, they've had 6ft...!! since the start of the month, it's thier snowiest February on record...and we're only half way through the month...!! in the good old days when the Jet-stream behaved itself we used to get similar weather to the US a couple of weeks later...not any more...

Posted

Unfortunately for snow lovers there's no chance of any widespread cold establishing in this mobile pattern so from that pov Winter does look like petering out on a disappointing note.

Where is his crystal ball..mmm what will the weather be on the 15th june..im in Portugal then

Posted

The outlook is totally uninspiring, with the azores high unfavorably positioned (by the end of the week and beyond) for any early spring warmth or any last chance cold. whilst its currently looking like there will be more pm incursions then tm, westerly winds with wind and rain / colder showery doesnt really inspire much conversation. some might see snowshowers, particually 'up norf' with elevation, the rest of us are in abit of a 'no mans land' waiting for spring to start properly.

Yep mushy - that outlooks sums it up to a tee...

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..

Posted

Lots of opportunities for snow on the Gfs 00z, especially for northern Britain, quite wintry at times in what looks like an extremely unsettled outlook.

Nothing exciting unless you live on a scottish mountain or like cold rain and sleet down your back...  :good:

Bring on spring!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I checked the US news last night and couldn't believe that Boston is having more snow, they've had 6ft...!! since the start of the month, it's thier snowiest February on record...and we're only half way through the month...!! in the good old days when the Jet-stream behaved itself we used to get similar weather to the US a couple of weeks later...not any more...

personally I think the eastern seaboard of the US has been particularly selfish again this year :)     although I'm sure they are as sick with having too much snow as we are having so little or non.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

personally I think the eastern seaboard of the US has been particularly selfish again this year :)     although I'm sure they are as sick with having too much snow as we are having so little or non.

yep the novelty soon wears off..having said that I do prefer North American winters in fact all seasons to ours now I have been back a year and had time to reflect on it.

Posted

superb afternoon here.... blue skies, fresh air, crocus and snowdrops out, birds singing, warm sunshine (but chilly out of it...for the pedants).

• Like 2

Posted

I know it's a crying shame.

The U.S. is having its sixth-warmest winter on record, according to data from the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC), which has records back to 1895.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

This winter has definitely petered away to nothing despite all the optimistic signs at the beginning. OPI, SAI the strat seemingly being on the ropes more times than rocky balboa have all amounted to nothing. The met deserve a lot of kudos this winter and the next time someone has a go at them they should remember this. The pro's never bought the hype and I for one will be paying a lot more attention to them next year. Anyway here's hoping for a quieter sun next year and a more negative AO and NAO because these three indicators are all I will be looking at. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Boring boring boring, spring baby that's what I want. Been a glorious sunny day and beautifully calm. Winter never arrived Down here and I never got into the ridiculous ramping of cold north westerlys. Looking for high pressure now so come on Azores get your act together.

• Like 2

Posted

well theres no sign of anything pleasant really after today.... unsettled, mobile, and chilly at times especially next week when theres more northwesterly then westerlies.

• Like 1