Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Looking quite promising maybe for some late season storms. This time of year can deliver those waterspouts too particularly on Southern Coasts and this setup does look quite promising for those to form. 

I do hope we see something like this though, as posted in my local Regional thread, a pretty potent storm looming over Alcudia Bay yesterday. filmed by myself. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looking quite promising maybe for some late season storms. This time of year can deliver those waterspouts too particularly on Southern Coasts and this setup does look quite promising for those to form. 

I do hope we see something like this though, as posted in my local Regional thread, a pretty potent storm looming over Alcudia Bay yesterday. filmed by myself. 

Great footage mate, thanks for sharing. I am glad you got to see some exciting weather on your trip. End September into October is a great time for storms around the Mediterranean.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

MetO talking of thunderstorms tonight/tomorrow - which is always appreciated :D

Posted

Great footage mate, thanks for sharing. I am glad you got to see some exciting weather on your trip. End September into October is a great time for storms around the Mediterranean.

Cheers fella! 

Ah it was brilliant, It was in the middle of my breakfast when I decided to look on Sat24 and then nearly dropped half of it when I saw the amount of lightning and 11-12KM cloud tops fast approaching! A really nice holiday it was, and remarkably, I actually made good friends with a German couple from Monchengladbach and they told me their story on the 'armageddon storm' that hit their area on 9th of June earlier this year! Quite amazing lol. I was saying how the whole of this forum was in meltdown on that day too! 

As you say, a very good time of year to visit the Mediterranean if you love storms. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyJnh50m

Great video and nice booming thunder! Looks very similar to one that came over Bristol on 25th August 2012, while I was stupidly cycling the Bristol-Bath. Lots of lowering scud and flashes with threatening thunder. Was this an afternoon one?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Looking at the charts for tonight, it seems that where I am could be decent area for possible heavy downpours/ thunderstorms, fingers crossed, be a good night for it before i go to the IOW for 10 days tomorrow!

Rmgfs183.gif

Rmgfs213.gif

Rmgfs186.gif

Rmgfs216.gif

There also a good chance over South West coast and South coast of England too, could be an interesting night indeed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm in a pretty good spot for a chance of something over the coming days. I could do with the rain, only managed 31mm today. :laugh:

Posted

Great video and nice booming thunder! Looks very similar to one that came over Bristol on 25th August 2012, while I was stupidly cycling the Bristol-Bath. Lots of lowering scud and flashes with threatening thunder. Was this an afternoon one?

It was a pretty amazing day to round off the holiday lol, and nope, it was around 11.15AM, part of a trough generated from the UK cold front I believe moving SE. I wish I had carried on filming a bit later too, as a lightning bolt struck <50 metres away and you could almost feel the shockwave of it go right through you! It had everyone yelling and shrieking put it that way!

As for August 25th 2012, a fantastic UK wide convective day that was with widespread cracking storms all around. The one over the Ely/Cambridge area had a 250mm/hr rainfall rate and I observed +CG's shooting out the back end of it from 30 miles away too! The likes of Yorks and Lincs also had a beast and the Bristol one I remember looked good on radar too. Best day behind June 28th for 2012 storm days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Wow, this is probably one of the wierdest, but also most menacing clouds I've seen in a long time. Astoundingly, it didn't produce even one rumble of thunder.

post-21671-0-91316300-1412606902_thumb.j

Edited by ScottRichards10

Posted

As far as convective chances over the next couple of days go we need to be looking towards the south and western coasts of England for the best chances tonight, with a feature running NE. This will lose any thundery element it may have as it moves north and I would say any thundery activity is restricted tonight across areas along the western coasts of England, Wales and Scotland or more generally south of a line from Somerset/North Devon to Essex/Kent. I am also noticing the chance just to our east and I suppose there is the risk that this could clip the far east coast although unlikely. Indeed the chances of anything thundery tonight is low, but is there, in my view.

Wednesday is looking an interesting day weatherwise for a more widespread risk with plenty of heavy showers developing, these developing in an area of favorable shear and helicity which could promote the risk of more organised showers and storms with the risk of a funnel or tornado. CAPE is not especially high but if the other parameters fall into place as currently being forecast then it could still be enough for some decent showers and thunderstorms.

EDIT: Sferics already detected to the SW of the UK.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

EDIT: Sferics already detected to the SW of the UK.

Yeah, looks like it's heading up towards the Bristol Channel and Wales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Many people suggesting I could see a thunderstorm tonight, is this true?

Posted

Just had a random flash and bang of thunder - a long way out to sea judging by the time between the two but a nice surprise nonetheless. Must be on its way up the B. channel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Some potent rain and storms now heading towards the southwest of England and Wales. Looks as though the warm sea surface temperatures combining with some polar maritime air will aid some deep convection to the southwest of the uk. NMM4 shows this feature moving across north east towards the midlands whilst fizzling out during first thing tomorrow morning.......

post-6830-0-75905000-1412621316.gif

post-6830-0-41907600-1412621382_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-41897900-1412621680_thumb.gi

Posted

Many people suggesting I could see a thunderstorm tonight, is this true?

You are in the region at risk of thunderstorms, so yes you could see one.

Posted

You are in the region at risk of thunderstorms, so yes you could see one.

Yeah, quite a few out SW, maybe see some flashes soon who knows...

Posted

Blitzotung plotting strikes over the South west ....

Yes, can confirm have seen several over Newquay way in the past few minutes.

Posted

Have seen a handful of lightning strikes mainly to the SW, WSW and W over the past 20 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Distant lightning over Irish sea to South west anyone Liverpool way should have a good view !!!!

What! :O I can't see any! The 76th storm I've missed this year...! :p