Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Did you lot have rain before the snow? That probably washed some of it away, and as we know, applying grit after the snow has fallen never does the same job.

Rain to snow events have always been troublesome for local authorities. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Did you lot have rain before the snow? That probably washed some of it away, and as we know, applying grit after the snow has fallen never does the same job.

Rain to snow events have always been troublesome for local authorities. 

Well I set off from Leeds at half 6, got off the M1 at about half 7, was then stuck on an A-road for an hour without moving before getting back on the M1 and taking over 2 hours to get home. In that whole 4 or 5 hour period I only saw 1 gritter, and it wasn't even gritting! I agree with what you say about the rain washing it away, but in that case, make sure you have them out ready for when it turns to snow, I've never seen a motorway as bad as the M1 was tonight, and its not even high elevation like the M62 for example!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Well what a fantastic evening!  We ended up with about 5-6cm in Barnsley, so far more than I had anticipated at the start of the evening.  Looks like there has been a thaw overnight though.  Not sure if that was whether it turned to rain as it cleared or just a lift in temperature, but there is definitely less covering everywhere now than at 23.30 yesterday.  Our 2 outdoor Christmas trees which grow in the front and back gardens were weighed down with snow last night, and this morning its all on the floor. 

Looks like there are a few showers around this morning but according to the weather type radar it only rain or sleet.  Looks like a cold few days up to new year then a slightly less cold for a few days, then uncertain thereafter.  Here is hoping we have a few more surprises like last night!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well better than expected. Not about depth would guess at 6cm maybe 8cm.

Got to take measurements in a bit and dig the car out.

Posted

morning all, well i guess my fears of another snowless winter were unfounded, lol, had a good couple of inches of snowcover, now we are down to ice and slush now the rain has started, but it was great seeing my 3 year old sons reaction when he woke up this morning and saw snow, the next few day looks dry and chilly so i guess thats it for a while.

Posted

Measured in three points in the garden. 14cm to 17cm deep. shows looking out of the window isn't much good.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

just under 1cm here. Very dissapointed

Posted

Snow still thawing from rain gauge. Now 32.4mm If that had been dry snow we have got some depth from that.

Posted

The met office reporting weather site at Western Park Sheffield has just tweeted am 'official' 15cm depth of snow in the city and said that it is the first decent fall since March 2013.

Did the city have the biggest official fall out of this event?

Edited by farmans

Posted

A dusting at best around the Keighley area. Maybe an inch or so on higher ground. Pretty disappointing even though it snowed for at least 4 hours! I heard Bradford did better....

Posted

34mm of rain here so 15cm will be correct. So possibly having the largest amount. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

So decided to snow chase yesterday after spending the afternoon walking in the Peak District.Set off from the Peaks around 7pm heading home via Sheffield. Took nearly 5 hours, absolute chaos, didn't have any problems myself due to being prepared with winter tyres, however I found myself trapped on numerous occasions due to roads being blocked, failed heading north on the A61 so ended up joining the M1 at meadow hall. The M1 was very tricky and I've never driven in such motorway conditions! Thankfully northbound it was clear from traffic, although nearly every slip road was blocked. Had a heart in my mouth moment as the Audi R8 in front of me starting going sideways at 40mph. One of the craziest and most fun snow chases I've ever had! Will post some pics later

• Like 1

Posted

Good reading the reports of what turned out to be a very good snowfall for some - a day earlier and a proper snowy white Christmas it would have been. Looks like South Yorkshire, Peak District, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire areas faired best.

The best snowfalls are the surprise ones!

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting the weather radar for the period doesn't reflect the intensity of the snow fall.

Posted

Weather warming has been issued for snow over north eastern parts of our county this evening and overnight. 2-4cm mainly but apparently could be 10cm very locally. North york moors looks a good bet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Still no snow here on east coast, just cold and wet...needs to be 5degC colder than elsewhere for it to turn on coastal strip, hoping the High will build next week and get progressively colder then might have a chance of some of the white stuff falling...probably miss us again though and hit the NW+SE...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Weather warning also includes South and West Yorkshire with MetO expecting showers to run inland on an Easterly wind. Hope we see a bit more to add to the 10cm we got in Barnsley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Stole the show from us midlanders yesterday, still got a couple cm here though but looking at your reports you had the real fun

yeah, most of the snow was definitely oop norf! GFS modelled this the best, having the low further north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Weather warming has been issued for snow over north eastern parts of our county this evening and overnight. 2-4cm mainly but apparently could be 10cm very locally. North york moors looks a good bet!

Ha - just noticed. The snow has mostly gone except from sheltered gardens here, so a top up would be nice.

Posted

It's nice to hear that some places are as snow-averse as where i live...

Dont worry, the next beast from the east is long over due and east yorks will get smashed. Feb is your month :p