Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Midweek is looking really good for me. Will it beat the 17cm I had last week?? :)

Ohh you're just at the right height for proper snow 125m,!

Posted

Hoping for a v rare snowfest for lowland Ayrshire...looks ripe just hope warm sectors n close proximity to the coast don't mess it up. Already pulled appts ahead to Tuesday rather than Wednesday / Thursday.

• Like 2

Posted

The uk media handles the weather much like immigration, like it's a malevolent alien entity hell bent on destroying us all. Sadly the obsession with fear stories and a constant desire to make a profit out of everything (quick! make the weather sound life or death so that they panic buy stuff they don't need!) leaves us with a totally useless service. Just tell us the weather based on accurate information, relevance and expertise, not drama&fairytales you slimy buggers!

The only good thing about the media always handling this all so bad is it drives you to seek other, more superior avenues for your weather information and alas you discover the kilted :)

Anyhoo, better make these ramblings a bit more weather relevant! The Facebook weather highland page was saying the uk lowest min 0.2c and max 3c today was in this locality, totty wee Moy. Didn't feel all that 'mild', roll on Wednesday anyway

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Midweek is looking really good for me. Will it beat the 17cm I had last week?? :)

Only if you send some of it our way this time, lucky so and so :rofl: I'm sure you'll do fine there though, ECM has the warm front further west but shouldn't really affect most of mainland Scotland on that:

ECM0-96.GIF?26-0 S

Saturday maybe a little more dicey but I think we can probably get away with it:

ECM0-120.GIF?26-0

ECM0-120.GIF?26-0

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Yes today's mild wasn't as mild as forecast (shocked sharp intake of breath).  I await with said bated breath to see what happens with the weather, I will mostly be using the lookinootthewindae model, it's a proven model, no risk of 'downgrades' or 'upgrades', guaranteed 100% IMBY post generator.  I love weather, I hate the MT. Lang mae yir lums be foo ae snaw!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
What's the latest thoughts on how far east these snow showers will get Wed/Thu? ie Fife?[/quote

I think some showers will get across but whether they have much potency is more debatable. It also depends on the exact wind direction as to whether the mountains get in the way. Don't want anything North of due West for these parts.

Posted

What's the latest thoughts on how far east these snow showers will get Wed/Thu? ie Fife?

euro4 model suggests snow could fall across much of the country midday Wednesday. The Met Office warning looks pretty good - all of Scotland in the warning area and mentions the possibility of 5-10cm of snow to lower levels.

I think much if the country should see snow with some places set for a pretty significant event (parts of the Grampian highlands, some inland parts of Ayrshire ). My concerns for this part of the country is it seems as ever, a strip of the country just to the north of Glasgow between Loch Lomond and Stirling may see less or lighter precipitation. Later in the week/weekend it seems it may become marginal for a time before becoming colder again. Looking to around the middle of next week it seems it may settle down but with milder uppers moving in I'm not too sure on the sort of temperatures we could see. Hopefully Wednesday into Thursday we get widespread, heavy, persistent snow showers and a feature/trough or two crossing the country delivering a proper snow event (hopefully in excess of 10cm in many areas) and perhaps followed by a few more snow events from the north. There is real potential for a very memorable snowy spell but as always there are fine lines in how that potential plays out in reality. A good dumping of snow Wed/Thurs should stay on the ground for up to a week and perhaps beyond but there are great uncertainties regarding weather patterns further into February. The models today seem to have slightly upgraded the longevity of the block but it is still not enough for a prolonged cold spell but a good pasting followed by perhaps some very cold temperature early next week should do just fine.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback on the weather station map I posted a few days ago. Scotland has 300 stations and I've just finished Ireland there with 175 stations added to the map.

If anyone missed the post from a few days ago the map has a large collection of weather stations from official Met Office to personal weather stations you can view the latest progress here https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zm18Nhm68BHc.kYeDz-ei4HOY

Edited by weathermaster
  • Like 4

Posted

Thanks for the feedback on the weather station map I posted a few days ago. Scotland has 300 stations and I've just finished Ireland there with 175 stations added to the map.

If anyone missed the post from a few days ago the map has a large collection of weather stations from official Met Office to personal weather stations you can view the latest progress here https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zm18Nhm68BHc.kYeDz-ei4HOY

Followed up the discussion on station locations the other day. Turns out perth data comes from 12.5 miles away at Strathallan. I have known people around there snowed in when Perth has seen nothing at all.

• Like 2

Followed up the discussion on station locations the other day. Turns out perth data comes from 12.5 miles away at Strathallan. I have known people around there snowed in when Perth has seen nothing at all.

Yep there's a automatic metar station in Strathallan http://skylinkweather.com/metar/metar-show-data.php?stationid=EGD6 There is another station according to Wunderground that is in Perth it only reports limited data though  http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IPERTH15#history

Edited by weathermaster
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

well, i sure picked a good time to return to scotland, i'm a snow fan, excited like Rob McElwee

Camera is charged & ready

old video from a past era

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

BBC weather has changed its out too for Cumbernauld area about 6 times today. Ranging from dry , rain sleet and heavy snow. Covering all bases as usual!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

quiet in here considering the output....people to scared to jinx it??

boston lookin at snow from 5pm today until 9pm tomorrow night ...... reminds me of a november day in 2010 when we got around 26hrs continuous snow......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

post-15765-0-61836000-1422317694_thumb.ppost-15765-0-62697800-1422317702_thumb.g

wednesday looking very interesting for many.....expect to see it busy in here tomorrow night as anticipation grows.... midday and 6pm precip charts

Edited by edodfc
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Think its quiet as televised reports aren't really reporting much of interest, or they are changing so often

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

quiet in here considering the output....people to scared to jinx it??

boston lookin at snow from 5pm today until 9pm tomorrow night ...... reminds me of a november day in 2010 when we got around 26hrs continuous snow......

Not scared to jinx it but I would like to be able to get from here to northern England and back at the end of the week...  At the mo, Weds could be mayhem for some, after that, fknose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

attachicon.gifprecip.pngattachicon.gifprecip2.gif

wednesday looking very interesting for many.....expect to see it busy in here tomorrow night as anticipation grows.... midday and 6pm precip charts

Have to say, this is worth a medium-sized rampette at least surely!!

Posted

This looks interesting :)

Potential for some ambers in the warning updates this morning.PPVG89.png

Edited by GraemeB
  • Like 1

Posted

This looks interesting :)

Potential for some ambers in the warning updates this morning.PPVG89.png

What are the black lines with the triangles and the half circles if you don't mind me asking? I think I vaguely remember we done something like this in geography but you can tell I wasn't paying attention! Would I be right in saying I also see (+) or similar symbols between the upward pointing semi-circles at bottom left dark line?

Edited by grifter

Posted

What are the black lines with the triangles and the half circles if you don't mind me asking? I think I vaguely remember we done something like this in geography but you can tell I wasn't paying attention! Would I be right in saying I also see (+) or similar symbols between the upward pointing semi-circles at bottom left dark line?

That would be an occluded front..where a cold front overtakes a warm front.

• Like 2

Posted

thanks for adding Ireland into this weathermaster, much appreciated. Good luck with your snow chances my fellow Gaels :)
  • Like 2