Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Can anyone please point me to a historical ppn radar animation (say for the last 24 hours) ? I'm trying to guestimate how much rain has fallen on a mountain area that I'm considering skiing tomorrow. I was @ Glencoe ski centre today (didn't put skis on) & it was hosing down at about 6C in the car park but looking at going further east tomorrow where hopefully the snow won't now be 'bullet-proof' neve. Thanks :-)

Posted

0C with occasional snow showers, nothing remarkable though. Exceptionally frozen surfaces. Lethal. 90% possibility of doing the splits if you venture out

' The Highland Council are really fkn it up this winter and they're reducing the winter roads budget further for the next year. Idiots.

Laughable huh. All to save 160k. The B roads will take the worst hit. Over the last fortnight the roads up to here have been a 4x4 only zone. Fetch those bolt-cutters HC, thanks in advance..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Although superficially the grass in my back garden is no longer looking at all wintry, having just walked across it, it is still frozen solid. That'll be from the rain at the start of the week which then froze.

Just put the dog out and found grass is now frosting up probably aided by the fact the ground is still hard right up to the surface. Makes it easier to pick up the poo as most dog owners will agree. Temp still +2C but falling.

I believe Michael is correct. Loch Glasgarnoch is one of the automatic stations though some such as Glenogle only show temperatures and windspeed.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

0C with occasional snow showers, nothing remarkable though. Exceptionally frozen surfaces. Lethal. 90% possibility of doing the splits if you venture out

Laughable huh. All to save 160k. The B roads will take the worst hit. Over the last fortnight the roads up to here have been a 4x4 only zone. Fetch those bolt-cutters HC, thanks in advance..

That must be what they're banking on, that there are enough folk around with 4x4s to keep communities going.  Is this 'outsourcing services'?

• Like 2

Posted

That must be what they're banking on, that there are enough folk around with 4x4s to keep communities going. Is this 'outsourcing services'?

Aye, the highland contingent on the kilted won't be posting much next year, we'll have roads to clear/neighbours vehicles to commandeer

*edit showers have pepped up, covering now on top of the old crusty stuff

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 2

Posted

I've looked before Ross but not found one! Got a similar conundrum for tomorrow, will Glenshee road be shut or not?

Thanks Andy. :)  We're heading to GS area too with a target on some lesser known lines. I just really don't want to end up skiing any gullies that have ended up in perfect condition for winter climbers  :bad:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Was enjoying an evening with some family members back in the Highlands for the weekend that I didn't notice that the snow's back and temps are below freezing again!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Thanks Andy. :)  We're heading to GS area too with a target on some lesser known lines. I just really don't want to end up skiing any gullies that have ended up in perfect condition for winter climbers  :bad:

This may be too obvious, but the NW radar on 'Extra Lite' does what you want... for a fee...!

Posted

Snowing on and off here with some heavy bursts in between wee drier spells. Ground has a patchy white covering with some areas of what seems to be frozen slush inbetween. Road is lethal though

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Temperature wasat 7.5C when I got in at half 3 but was already falling. Now 1.8/-0.5 and dry with mostly clear skies although it is breezy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Finished work at 2am to come out to heavy snow falling, the drive home was pretty scary as I was the first one out on the road :) Didn't know it was going to snow tonight so it was a great surprise :)

post-13901-0-22824400-1422066082_thumb.j

post-13901-0-07370200-1422066123_thumb.j

post-13901-0-73759300-1422066157_thumb.j

post-13901-0-14623700-1422066314_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted

Nothing here as usual. Roads are lethal icy though. Would happily put up with a week or so of mild guff in the hopes of a pattern change to something that might guve us a chance here. Westerly dominated stuff pretty much never delivers here.

• Like 1

Posted

New covering here this morning. Not much but blending in well with the remaining piles from last fri.

Posted

Strange morning here, looks like we had a wee sleet shower. Now pavements are ice sheets.. Can I have some snow on Thursday ? For my bday :)

Fire in the snow

A covering of snow

Has fallen from the sky

A whisper in the know

A question in the eye

Fire in the snow

A wooden stove of making

A heartfelt glow

Fills a mind pacing

The radios in the snow

Reflected in the night

A pinch of digital throw

Staring into delight

A penny falls from the sky

An out there in the why

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Tiniest icing sugar. Road looks very glassy.

Posted

Stirling roads are horrific - black ice everywhere and not a gritter in sight..doesn't even look like they've been out through the night.

Posted

Morning all,

Bright and sunny start to the day after we just managed to record an air frost (-0.1c). Should be a lovely day in NE Fife, dry and plenty of sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Stirling roads are horrific - black ice everywhere and not a gritter in sight..doesn't even look like they've been out through the night.

has Stirling district council still got gritters I thought they traded them in for a load of little white smart cars
  • Like 4

Posted

has Stirling district council still got gritters I thought they traded them in for a load of little white smart cars

:D

True.