Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Thanks Lorzeno - we can do quite well in West Lothian from a cold wnw wind so looking forward to it (Thursday is my birthday too :D )

Will I jinx it if I buy a snow blower...? My snow shovel broke so thought Instead of buying a cheap shovel I could just buy a snowblower I'll probably never get to use :D 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Quite early for the Mt O to put out warnings. Unfortunately for those of us in Fife , Angus and Aberdeen they don't cover the whole country. 

6C here this morning and up at my mum's house in Highlands Perthshire 7.5C. Her garden still more than 50% snow covered but you could almost see  the bare bit under tree growing as I watched.

Confident that it will return on Wednesday though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Thanks Lorzeno - we can do quite well in West Lothian from a cold wnw wind so looking forward to it (Thursday is my birthday too :D )

Will I jinx it if I buy a snow blower...? My snow shovel broke so thought Instead of buying a cheap shovel I could just buy a snowblower I'll probably never get to use :D

Ha Ha Ha!   Well I did!   Bought it the 2010 Christmas for hubby and have only used it once since!   They are good though.   So much quicker than using a shovel to clear the drive which, in that winter was sometimes twice a day!   You will obviously be guaranteed to use a lawnmower each season, but really handy to have when needed. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Ha Ha Ha!   Well I did!   Bought it the 2010 Christmas for hubby and have only used it once since!   They are good though.   So much quicker than using a shovel to clear the drive which, in that winter was sometimes twice a day!   You will obviously be guaranteed to use a lawnmower each season, but really handy to have when needed. :D

As per butterfly flapping wings.. etc etc.

What happens when Blitzen buys a snow blower in 2010....

That machine clearly some sort of winter horcrux.

• Like 4

Posted

Great update Lorenzo, thanks!   Think things are going to gather momentum as we move through February.   I can feel it in my soon to be crystallized water! :D

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

That machine clearly some sort of winter horcrux.

That machine (and me) have been the subject of some serious slagging off since 2010 I can assure you!   Ask Catch and HC!! :laugh:

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

post-13901-0-84438900-1422188872_thumb.jpost-13901-0-69443900-1422188880_thumb.j

Too soon? :oops:  :nonono:

• Like 5

Posted

So... snow potential this week and yet again I'm working away lol

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Snow cover has done well to hang on here blah blah blah blah who cares about that old stuff though eh, all eyes on Wednesday onwards :)

Though many February highlights over the years, early feb 01 maybe my fave (out with 09/10) utterly buried in snow

Nice to see how this wee mild respite will be welcome in the animal world. The wee pockets of grass that have popped up today are inhabited by birds feeding frantically after sustained snow and frost cover for the last fortnight. Saw a pine marten near the house a couple of times over the cold spell too which, although always a joy, was more an indication of desperation on his part as he ventured in to areas he usually wouldn't for food. Anyhoo, Bill Oddie hour over, mon the snow!

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

12C here this morning. Shocking.

Snow cover has done well to hang on here blah blah blah blah who cares about that old stuff though eh, all eyes on Wednesday onwards :)

Though many February highlights over the years, early feb 01 maybe my fave (out with 09/10) utterly buried in snow

Nice to see how this wee mild respite will be welcome in the animal world. The wee pockets of grass that have popped up today are inhabited by birds feeding frantically after sustained snow and frost cover for the last fortnight. Saw a pine marten near the house a couple of times over the cold spell too which, although always a joy, was more an indication of desperation on his part as he ventured in to areas he usually wouldn't for food. Anyhoo, Bill Oddie hour over, mon the snow!

I was looking at animal tracks in the snow this week - all good fun for work. Managed to see more than I'd expected: pine marten, otter, fox, roe, water vole, some other small rodents, wolverine, etc. Spot the odd one out there...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Just looking round the threads while things are quiet. Everytime I have checked West Lothians weather cam there seems to be snow on the ground this winter, is this the norm for guys or is it just a good snowy winter with all the north westerlies we've had? Is it a sweet spot so to speak?

Posted

I go away for a couple of days, and look what happens.

Almost scared to switch on the Ramp Early Warnings...

Edit - Stirling's snow risk is negligible for Wed/Thurs.

Edited by GraemeB

Posted

Off-topic post of the day...

A headline: 'Farage hits back at defecating MEP'  That's a bit low, I thought, he could have waited till he pulled his trousers up.... oh, woops, misread that one.

• Like 3

Posted

Having had Lorenzo expertly kicked us off, I'm keenly awaiting the break downs from our assorted weather minds on here as to what to expect further in the week, though with 'strong to gale force north westerly winds' forecast to accompany the snow it will be a predictably unpredictable beast

Managed to see more than I'd expected: pine marten, otter, fox, roe, water vole, some other small rodents, wolverine, etc. Spot the odd one out there...

Had a think about this while I was out feeding the local Wolverine and Mountain Lion...... um Water Vole?? A special Burns Day nod to that other wonderful Scottish animal the Haggis too Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 2

Posted

Having had Lorenzo expertly kicked us off, I'm keenly awaiting the break downs from our assorted weather minds on here as to what to expect further in the week, though with 'strong to gale force north westerly winds' forecast to accompany the snow it will be a predictably unpredictable beast

Had a think about this while I was out feeding the local Wolverine and Mountain Lion...... um Water Vole?? A special Burns Day nod to that other wonderful Scottish animal the Haggis too

Fraid our haggis was getting a bit frisky so we put the fkr down yesterday. Went well with neeps and sprouts but there was a certain aroma round the house later...

Certainly expect you'll get repeated top-ups this week. Not so sure about the littoral-dwelling types again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Off-topic post of the day...

A headline: 'Farage hits back at defecating MEP'  That's a bit low, I thought, he could have waited till he pulled his trousers up.... oh, woops, misread that one.

Plenty of us would like to defecate on Farage.

• Like 8

Posted

Certainly expect you'll get repeated top-ups this week. Not so sure about the littoral-dwelling types again.

Aye maybe as early as tonight HC, definitely by tomorrow with the more frequent showers that are forecast above around 200m

Haha aye seconded Glaswegianblizzard

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well I think we can say that this is to be perhaps the snowiest spell to hit Scotland for a number of years later this week.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I see the express are at it again...

Britain on RED alert as 'displaced Polar vortex' to unleash weather hell next week http://shr.gs/uT4BuCW

lol :)

• Like 2

Posted

Aye maybe as early as tonight HC, definitely by tomorrow with the more frequent showers that are forecast above around 200m

Haha aye seconded Glaswegianblizzard

Turded, NS.

• Like 1

Posted

Britain on RED alert as 'displaced Polar vortex' to unleash weather hell next week http://shr.gs/uT4BuCW

Did laugh at the "Viking winds" during the forecast on countryfile outlook. No where near as panic inducing headlines of the express but a fantastic image. Edited by cscrim
  • Like 5

Posted

Just looking round the threads while things are quiet. Everytime I have checked West Lothians weather cam there seems to be snow on the ground this winter, is this the norm for guys or is it just a good snowy winter with all the north westerlies we've had? Is it a sweet spot so to speak?

We've not had as much as a lot of places this winter but what we have had is pretty normal here so far. No great snow depths but we're inland and exposed to both North westerlies and easterlies .

Because we're inland we don't always get the heavy frequent snow showers. But when it's marginal the altitude and distance from the sea helps.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Well I think we can say that this is to be perhaps the snowiest spell to hit Scotland for a number of years later this week.

Rab that's a ramp .....not sure I'm comfortable with that yet.....for imby I would normally prefer different setups but to be fair we did OK couple of weeks ago with enough to sledge and this does look even better.....fingers crossed

Edited by edodfc
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

It's Piers and Madden again so we're fek'd now. 

Seriously snow maps people have posted here and elsewhere show big gaps over Eastern Scotland. Can't see that being correct if it is going round to a straight Northerly by the weekend, at least not for the NE. May need an Easterly component for here though. If the initial blast is from North of West E central Scotland will miss the worst I fear. Plenty chances of troughs or disturbances though with Low Pressure not too far away so plenty to keep the interest up.