Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I may have been a bit pessimistic earlier, once I got outside I realised we probably had a couple of cm of snow overnight, although it's pretty wet stuff. No real problems getting into work, just a little congested around Dyce. In Kemnay/Kintore the side streets were packed snow and the roads slushy but down to the tarmac in the tyre tracks. Had another fairly short but heavy burst of wet snow as I left the house just before 9am.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Only managed a cm or 2 here but nice all the same. Been trying to see if there is any hope for us before this winter ends (not that it really began) Had a look at Joe B's Saturday summary again and took it through to the last couple of minutes. He and his colleagues seem pretty confident that in view of future expected set ups over there which appear to be falling into place, that a ridge will be pumped up over Greenland after the second half of the month. Didn't go any further after that but a Greenland high for us is usually good news? They have been pretty successful with their winter forecasting this year so perhaps our winter isn't over just yet? Not very good at understanding all that he talks about but will include the link to his summary again so you can have a look. Most of it is concerning their own weather outlook until the end when he touches on the expected NH set up.

. Ignore the beginning because he is wittering on about a disagreement he had on TV with someone

.http://www.weatherbell.com/

Another cold night across Scotland here's the lowest recorded temperatures,

Cairngorm Mountains -8c
Cobinhton Biggar -8c
Symington -8c
Motherwell -7c
Lanark -7c
Aonach -7c
Tulloch Bridge -7c
Fort William -7c
Bathgate -7c
Peebles -7c
Strathaven -6c
Drumalbin -6c
Cannich -6c
Ardno -6c
Dalmally Glenview -6c
Oban -6c
Dalmellington -6c
Gilmilnscroft, Sorn -6c
  • Like 2

Posted

Looking like a pretty sterile few days weather with not much excitement. In fact I can't find anything of interest in the near future. Only hope is a messy breakdown and something transitional. Latest Met forecast even has a short period of light rain for here overnight which appears to be backed up by Euro4. Looks brief though. Hopefully we can get some kind of a reload of cold. Given how dire this recent northerly has been and how dire northerlies in general are here, if we can't get someting from the East then I'll take my chances with the cold westerlies again. There's always March which usually throws up something decent at some point. Plenty of winter left but even so far it beats my benchmark of poor - last year - hands down!

Might as well enjoy a few days of settled, dry weather coming up. Not that bad really :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yes when we have some snow on the ground for a week and temps of -8c it hasn't been that bad. However what we still haven't had is a proper disruptive 7 inch snowstorm. Proper snow is when you can fall onto it and still can't see the grass. I think there were still blades of grass poking through when we had our biggest fall. :pardon:

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

We've had 5 separate events of snow lying here. One in December, 3 in January and last night. That is much more than the usual winter. We usually get 1 maybe 2 or 3 if we're lucky so I have to say that this winter has been better than most for here. And it's only the start of February so there's plenty of time for more, although its starting to approach the stage where the sun is able to melt the snow quicker.

On the train to Edinburgh this morning there was a little bit of snow lying near Edinburgh Park but around the central area and kings buildings it looks as if it missed that snow shower last night.

Posted

Only managed a cm or 2 here but nice all the same. Been trying to see if there is any hope for us before this winter ends (not that it really began) Had a look at Joe B's Saturday summary again and took it through to the last couple of minutes. He and his colleagues seem pretty confident that in view of future expected set ups over there which appear to be falling into place, that a ridge will be pumped up over Greenland after the second half of the month. Didn't go any further after that but a Greenland high for us is usually good news? They have been pretty successful with their winter forecasting this year so perhaps our winter isn't over just yet? Not very good at understanding all that he talks about but will include the link to his summary again so you can have a look. Most of it is concerning their own weather outlook until the end when he touches on the expected NH set up.

. Ignore the beginning because he is wittering on about a disagreement he had on TV with someone

.http://www.weatherbell.com/

Netweather's own February forecast is also going for Greenland HP towards the end of the month.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=monthly;sess=

• Like 2

Posted

Cheggers shame you weren't nearer, we could've loaned u oor spare electric heaters.

We're getting oor boiler changed over at the end of the week though! We'll be without heating fur 2 days eek!!

Thanks for the thought, new boiler delivered earlier, and engineer here to fit first thing. Was doon to -5C last night... typical, but warmed a little today to about 2C, and somewhat grey.

• Like 2

Hardly any posts since lunchtime, that's as good an indicator of the weather as any other. I thought I might take a week off from chart watching but when I thought about it I realised I'd only get bored!

Hopefully the charts start churning out decent stuff in F.I. to give me something to talk to myself about on here :rofl:

Grey, cold and 'orrible here. It looks like it could snow but I know it's not going to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Cheggers At least you have your new boiler too. We've just had ours delivered :)

Blitzen, interesting that Joe B thinks things may be happening again after these lows off the American East Coast spin out! Hmmm maybe just maybe we might get lucky ?!

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 3

Posted

Dull wet (rain) and dreich November day here.Currently 2.5c. The mud is returning after a frosty start.

Posted

Only 0.3 here tonight.

Still most snow cover but I assume it will be away by the weekend.

Will allow me to wash the cars at least.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Hopefully the charts start churning out decent stuff in F.I. to give me something to talk to myself about on here :rofl:

Given the charts are pretty much all showing high pressure of one sort or another over the UK for the next 10 days or more, by this time next week we might all be clamouring for "a return to zonality" just to relieve the monotony.

Posted

Not the most thrilling spells of weather coming up so it seems but it is feburary after all (rain would be nice to wash the ground out though as it's so dirty)

Edited by NUT

Posted

Just been outside and it's snowing lightly. Wasn't expecting that. Thanks to this wee blob of pink LOL

post-19099-0-94913300-1423086018_thumb.p

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted

Excellent its heading my way. I thought it was more phantom snow!

• Like 2

Posted

About an inch of snow on the ground here this morning. Mostly still lying there now. For this part of Scotland, this winter has been better than last for snow (not difficult) but in the scheme of things nothing at all special.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Just been outside and it's snowing lightly. Wasn't expecting that. Thanks to this wee blob of pink LOL

Aye! Some light snaw falling here also 101 N

Big Innes

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Something falling here too. Kind of graupel like I think. 

An even tinier blob on the rain radar.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted

Evidence of rain spots on the car? Weird at 400ft up and inland.

Posted

Evidence of rain spots on the car? Weird at 400ft up and inland.

You didn't miss much to be honest. I was just surprised as the forecast was potential light rain showers and temp is up on yesterday.

Posted

Out towards Oban - first time I've seen freezing rain show up on the radar. I'm sure I've just missed it before but interesting to see so clearly.

post-19099-0-63528400-1423089577_thumb.p

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I think EDO has been out testing his Snaw Shield destruction method. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-31141354

:rofl:

:) a genuine laugh out loud at that.....pesky polis clearly got there just in time...

Snaw shield fully operational...A drive beckons this weekend

• Like 1