Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

I'll save everyone a lot of time today with this: don't bother with the charts, high pressure.

That's that then for the chart watching today. We're off up to ParentCatchs' house at Kilmacolm today and we're going the scenic route via Peebles (hi Poots!) and Biggar and over onto the M74. Can't wait to see all the snowy hills :D :D :D :D :D :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Thanks CMD...considering my weekend driving options aswell...I'm bored of this high pressure already...I know I will be very much in a minority but I would rather have low pressures barrelling in....weird I know

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

-1.0C this morning. Colder than I thought it would be and thats because it was clearer than forecast. Today and tomorrow are also now looking sunnier than originally forecast a couple of days ago for central and southern Scotland

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

-4C here - beautiful blue sky and sunshine. Glorious morning even if we havent got snaw  :sorry:

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

This settled weather is good for skiing at least. I am off to Glencoe on Sunday. Even the access runs are open which is unusual. Should be a great day. I think they are saying -3c with snow flurries. We are looking to after Valentines day for any interesting weather now! :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well on the upside- boiler & tank changeover tomorrow, so if it's sunny/ dry and not too cold it will be fab for us. Wasn't looking forward to a freezing weekend with no heating for 2 days lol.

Better get out for the bacon & rolls for the guys tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted

Same here leak in heating pipe under floor! We need to take up floor at the weekend to find it. It will turn out to be a pinhole! :sorry:  

• Like 1

Posted

Well on the upside- boiler & tank changeover tomorrow, so if it's sunny/ dry and not too cold it will be fab for us. Wasn't looking forward to a freezing weekend with no heating for 2 days lol.

Better get out for the bacon & rolls for the guys tomorrow.

Good luck with the boiler change, ours is now up and running, so hoose toastie warm again, but they are back next week for 2 days to do a powerflush, so oil heaters still on standby.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

This settled weather is good for skiing at least. I am off to Glencoe on Sunday. Even the access runs are open which is unusual. Should be a great day. I think they are saying -3c with snow flurries. We are looking to after Valentines day for any interesting weather now! :cold:

We were considering Glenshee this weekend but probably not now. This morning I booked a lodge outside Ft.William for 4nts next weekend since wife & youngest have extra time off school. We'll save our skiing money for next weekend, it's been years since I skied Nevis or Glencoe as it's too much of a trek from here for a day. So I for one will be praying for it to stay cool and settled through next weekend (unless of course it wants to dump some more snow on Aonoch Mor in the meantime, but that's looking unlikely).

3.6C at home at around 8am this morning. Pretty much grey, cloudy, dry and uninteresting in Dyce right now.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Thanks CMD...considering my weekend driving options aswell...I'm bored of this high pressure already...I know I will be very much in a minority but I would rather have low pressures barrelling in....weird I know

Jeez Edo!

Nae need fur that language.

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A bit cooler this morning than I thought it would be here too. -2C. Nice and sunny with frost lingering in the shade though thermo says 4.6C. The low dew points I guess. Reached -5C at the family home in Aberfeldy this morning with snow still in the garden despite a max of nearly 8C yesterday.

Posted

We were considering Glenshee this weekend but probably not now. This morning I booked a lodge outside Ft.William for 4nts next weekend since wife & youngest have extra time off school. We'll save our skiing money for next weekend, it's been years since I skied Nevis or Glencoe as it's too much of a trek from here for a day. So I for one will be praying for it to stay cool and settled through next weekend (unless of course it wants to dump some more snow on Aonoch Mor in the meantime, but that's looking unlikely).

3.6C at home at around 8am this morning. Pretty much grey, cloudy, dry and uninteresting in Dyce right now.

Yes I love Glenshee! But only when the whole thing is open. I hear Nevis have opened the back corries, but Braveheart hasn't turned this year. I am off to Nevis on the 23rd for a few days. I am praying there is no wind. Also hoping for some more snow. Warrens hasn't been able to open due to ice! Nevis is without doubt the quietest centre due to it's location. Cairngorm does my head in!

Posted

Another lovely day (like yesterday) Not too chilly either. About perfect (still got a little snow on the grass in places here from last week's epic showers)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Good luck with the boiler change, ours is now up and running, so hoose toastie warm again, but they are back next week for 2 days to do a powerflush, so oil heaters still on standby.

WTF is everyone?

Powerflush? Could do with one of those in this house sometimes...  Or install CCTV in the bathroom so I can see from outside whether it's safe to go in :blink2:

Anyway... Back home and it's surprisngly chilly this evening.  The only snow left in the north is above about 500m now apart from some accumulations in gullies etc.  Even some big hills are looking rather piebald. Ice piling up in the Blackwater is but a distant memory..

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

I'll save everyone a lot of time today with this: don't bother with the charts, high pressure.

That's that then for the chart watching today. We're off up to ParentCatchs' house at Kilmacolm today and we're going the scenic route via Peebles (hi Poots!) and Biggar and over onto the M74. Can't wait to see all the snowy hills :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wee wave!

Shame you were passing through after a lot of our snaw has gone :( It's looking awfy sad shrinking away now. But, we've had a couple of nice, sunny days max temps of 6c. I'm bored of the high pressure already, too with another day of much the same ahead tomorrow.... :wallbash:  

Posted

Still a bit off colour with terrible dry cough after this virus. Went to sleep after feeding the cattle this afternoon as cough seems to be on the wane and woke up an hour ago. No sleep because of coughing at nights this week, all the neighbours seem to have the same. See flu jab not so effective this year

Currently clear and 2.5c with ground frost developing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Still a bit off colour with terrible dry cough after this virus. Went to sleep after feeding the cattle this afternoon as cough seems to be on the wane and woke up an hour ago. No sleep because of coughing at nights this week, all the neighbours seem to have the same. See flu jab not so effective this year

Currently clear and 2.5c with ground frost developing.

You could blame it on the high pressure perhaps? Seems to be getting the blame for everything else!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

So what's the mention of possible changes next weekend time - easterly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

We're up that way next weekend too. We've booked a cottage in Dura for four nights, looking forward to getting the kids out in proper snow.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Glencoe is looking great for Snowsports this weekend.

10350447_1017220491639065_29381276728460

• Like 8

We had a great drive over to Kilmacolm yesterday. It's only 12 miles further going the scenic route than the normal way via the M-8, and in terms of scenery and MrsC not getting stressed out on the A720 and M-8 it was a whole load better. I can see us using that route quite a bit if there's snow to be seen. There was snow in view almost all the way across the south of Scotland yesterday, much of it a wee bit patchy but the whole of the south looked magnificent yesterday. Except Glasgow. Glasgow was a bit 'orrible, the air was hanging with dirt and grime.

As for the charts, nowt much to get excited about, although the last few frames of the GFS deep in the darkest depths of F.I. do look promising. Defo too soon for the "winter's over" posts and status updates appearing in some places.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We're up that way next weekend too. We've booked a cottage in Dura for four nights, looking forward to getting the kids out in proper snow.

i am from the midlands and will be coming up the spittal of gleenshee friday night.

being from the midlands in England me and my kids have never seen proper snow looks like the week i decided to come it will becoming milder. Cant believe all the snow weeks we have had and pick the mild week lol. :wallbash:

• Like 3

Posted

The only snow left in the north is above about 500m now apart from some accumulations in gullies etc.  Even some big hills are looking rather piebald. Ice piling up in the Blackwater is but a distant memory..

500m? Must be the black Isle snow curse HC? :D south of the sneck and the snow still has an impressive cover from 200m upwards. Would happily have it bugger off as the thaw/freeze action has caused vehicle dodgems on the driveway

Seeing as the Groundhog went for another six weeks of winter I'm assuming the met office will follow suit? Or maybe its just Fox News who would base their meteorology on an animals shadow..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

We had a great drive over to Kilmacolm yesterday. It's only 12 miles further going the scenic route than the normal way via the M-8, and in terms of scenery and MrsC not getting stressed out on the A720 and M-8 it was a whole load better. I can see us using that route quite a bit if there's snow to be seen. There was snow in view almost all the way across the south of Scotland yesterday, much of it a wee bit patchy but the whole of the south looked magnificent yesterday. Except Glasgow. Glasgow was a bit 'orrible, the air was hanging with dirt and grime.

As for the charts, nowt much to get excited about, although the last few frames of the GFS deep in the darkest depths of F.I. do look promising. Defo too soon for the "winter's over" posts and status updates appearing in some places.

Agreed, can definitely see an end of February cold spell potentially developing - as we all know plenty of time left for more meaningful snow, and in the meantime at least it's actually quite nice out there (this post is just to let you all know that I haven't quite died of boredom during this anticyclonic period and will return to posting more regularly if and when something actually appears on the charts that's worth commenting on :laugh: ). Anyway, January managed to sneak below average (just) so that's something at least http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2015/january 

• Like 1