Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

-2 here.

Window washers not even frozen this morning. Bit of a bonus being able to see to drive to work today.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

+4c here on the Fife Riviera. Models showing high pressure dominating for the next week or so though the North and west may see some rain at times. GFS has virtually no precipitation for here in the next 16 days!

ECM looks interesting at +192 with a cold northerly airmass.

Edited by Hawesy

This morning's ECM does hold some cheer, as our HP swirls around for a week before attempting to head off on holiday to see a bit of Greenland:

Parked over the UK having a snooze:

post-2844-0-12035400-1423122828_thumb.gi

Oh right ok, I'm supposed to move around? Let's back up to Austria and then see what's happening?

post-2844-0-24403100-1423122858_thumb.gi

I've got a good run at it and I'm pointing in the right direction, let's have a wee shot at Greenland. Look at all that cold to the north too:

post-2844-0-68883800-1423122859_thumb.gipost-2844-0-15451500-1423122863_thumb.gi

Push! Push! Push! I can make it to Greenland and let some cold come south:

post-2844-0-21090100-1423122861_thumb.gi

Awww, almost made it up cleanly but have some cold anyway:

post-2844-0-23267900-1423122862_thumb.gipost-2844-0-26125300-1423122864_thumb.gi

To me that's pretty positive output, the high seems to want to rise rather than sink which must be good :)

Edit: Remember the old days when we always said to get the cold in first and the snow will follow? This looks to be a classic case of this rule, fingers crossed the ECM is onto something.

Edit2: The bad news is that the GFS is having none of it, the high tries to build towards Greenland but gets flattened back to its UK holiday spot.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Lol great analysis CMD... Just relieved to see something interesting...not an implausible solution and if this was mid November we would be quite delighted with this holding pattern I suspect....just as it's the last 3rd of winter we would prefer to see something a bit more progressive

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

3.6c/1.5c/W after an overnight low of 2c.   Nice to see a slight improvement this morning.   Perhaps we are going to see some Greenland ridging eventually?   If this winter can go out on a cold shot then we shouldn't feel as cheated.   Something to watch for anyway!

I picked up on SKs post in that we will be entering into solar minimum for the next 5-8 years.   Now one would think that perhaps that could lead to a few exciting episodes in the future!  Hope so, as I will soon be running out of years! :unsure2:

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Was -0.8C when I got up at 8.15 so the overnight low was probably about-1. It was +0.8 when I left for university at 9.15. Oh and I got searched by the police in polmont thinking I was a burglar!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

No idea what the overnight low was as I didn't do a rest on my weather station last night, but at 8am it was already +3.9C and a thaw of the lying snow is well underway.

Posted

Was -0.8C when I got up at 8.15 so the overnight low was probably about-1. It was +0.8 when I left for university at 9.15. Oh and I got searched by the police in polmont thinking I was a burglar!

Hope you said there were plenty of upstanding citizens on the NW Scottish thread who would vouch for your character!  :D

Bright here in St Andrews and temp up to 6c so highest in quite a while. If we're going to have lots of HP I hope we at least see some decent spells of sunshine. Anticyclonic gloom not welcome.

What does a solar minimum mean for our weather ?

In a nutshell, solar minimum equals colder weather in NW Europe.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Hope you said there were plenty of upstanding citizens on the NW Scottish thread who would vouch for your character!  :D

Bright here in St Andrews and temp up to 6c so highest in quite a while. If we're going to have lots of HP I hope we at least see some decent spells of sunshine. Anticyclonic gloom not welcome.

You will stand outside the young offenders with a shell suit and a Burbary cap! What were you expecting. LOL :closedeyes:

Posted

Now 8c in St Andrews/Leuchars. Feels very springlike in the sun!

I'm actually off to Amsterdam tomorrow. My mate who lives over there emailed to say they had a bit of snow this morning. No doubt that will disappear before I get there. :unsure2:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Because I had a school bag on, they thought I looked suspicious. Just about made me late for my train.

I've seen more grit on the roads in the last few days than ever before. For example, I've been living at my house now for 11 years and Friday night is the first time I can remember my street ever being gritted. Also last night on my way to Dunblane I seen 2 gritting lorries, one going in each direction and the motorway was just full of it. At one point I was behind a lorry and it actually whipped up a grit storm just like water spray when the roads are wet. I think the roads and some pavements are looking a bit of a mess at the moment with all the grit about. I suppose it does make it easier to drive in when it snows.

Posted

Because I had a school bag on, they thought I looked suspicious. Just about made me late for my train.

I've seen more grit on the roads in the last few days than ever before. For example, I've been living at my house now for 11 years and Friday night is the first time I can remember my street ever being gritted. Also last night on my way to Dunblane I seen 2 gritting lorries, one going in each direction and the motorway was just full of it. At one point I was behind a lorry and it actually whipped up a grit storm just like water spray when the roads are wet. I think the roads and some pavements are looking a bit of a mess at the moment with all the grit about. I suppose it does make it easier to drive in when it snows.

Reminds me - going to give car a good wash this weekend and get all the grit off of it, under the arches and body as well, as it causes rust.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cheggers....that doesn't bear commenting on!

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Are we needing to just move our whole island to get some snow??!! Lol! Even northern Spain gets tons more snow than us. Heck!

Edited by snowy owl

are we needing to just move out whole island to get some snow!! Lol! Even northern Spain gets tons more snow than us. Heck!

The whole island? There's plenty of us who would just take Scotland on the trip 1,000 miles north. We could come back for summer though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Fancy the Dubai area for summer lol

• Like 1

Posted

Fancy the Dubai area for summer lol

Scottish blood would boil in such extreme temperatures. :wink:

Even hot for a Londoner! Reaches 45C in the Summer. Not for the faint hearted I'd suggest Autumn time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

We've got two sunny days forecast which hopefully will mean we can get the kids out somewhere pretty on Saterday. Conic Hill or Ben An perhaps.

Posted

Colder than I expected this morning, currently -3.1c and dewpoint -4.5c. I've done quite well for snow cover this winter with this now my 10th consecutive day with pretty much full snow in my garden, albeit its getting a bit patchy at the front. A low dewpoint really seems to be the key to reducing snow melt as the temperature has been up at 3-4c on occasion over the last 10 days while the dewpoint has remained consistently below freezing.