Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

There seem to be some colder options appearing in the medium term... Don't get excited yet but it doesn't look as dreary an end to the winter as it did a week ago.

Ramp alert :D

Posted

I reckon this winter (January and February in particular) has to be one of, if not the sunniest on record in Aberdeen.

Not sure if anyone has stats on this but it seems that about 80% of days the sun has been shining most of the day and of course, we've had our fair share of frosts because of this.

Cheers

Stop it you naughty will jinx it :angel:

(never used that one before, just don't get any ideas)

The way this winter's gone it's been one big jinx from start to finish. Here's the perfect emoticon for it, and one I very rarely use :wallbash:

I reckon this winter (January and February in particular) has to be one of, if not the sunniest on record in Aberdeen.

Not sure if anyone has stats on this but it seems that about 80% of days the sun has been shining most of the day and of course, we've had our fair share of frosts because of this.

Cheers

The stats back you up on this spectacularly on the sunshine amounts, the frost anomalies are far lower though:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

Aberdeen and surrounding areas sitting at more than 170% of normal sunshine amounts in January 2015.

Posted

Ground really starting to dry up now but soils still cold.Mucking out folds today ready for the second half of winter.I consider March still to be winter as its often the hungriest month for wildlife and farm stock with little or no grass growth till April. As I have said before sea temperatures are just about to reach their lowest and the incidence of N and E winds reaches ts highest frequency in the next few months so we can still get very wintry outbreaks from the north across cold seas until April especially up here.

Currently dry and 1.9c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I agree Northern. March is a winter month. I have a feeling we might get some good snow late Feb early March!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Clouded over at lunchtime yesterday and stayed that way for the rest of the day. A little bit of light rain for about 15 minutes as well but that is all it was. Apparently a high of 10.6C but it think that's probably due to the 20 minute spell in the morning where the sun shines directly on my weather station
Clouded over at lunchtime yesterday and stayed that way for the rest of the day. A little bit of light rain for about 15 minutes as well but that is all it was. Apparently a high of 10.6C but it think that's probably due to the 20 minute spell in the morning where the sun shines directly on my weather station.

Can anyone understand why there was a gritting lorry on the M9 last night?

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted

Might be trying to get rid of all the grit stockpiled - I think they may have read the daily express forecast for Winter when deciding how much grit to stock!

• Like 1

Posted

More snow for the mountains today and Sunday/Monday :D

Hopefully my wee 4 day ski trip to Glencoe/Nevis next week will be good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Clouded over at lunchtime yesterday and stayed that way for the rest of the day. A little bit of light rain for about 15 minutes as well but that is all it was. Apparently a high of 10.6C but it think that's probably due to the 20 minute spell in the morning where the sun shines directly on my weather station

Clouded over at lunchtime yesterday and stayed that way for the rest of the day. A little bit of light rain for about 15 minutes as well but that is all it was. Apparently a high of 10.6C but it think that's probably due to the 20 minute spell in the morning where the sun shines directly on my weather station.

Was it gritting?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Was it gritting?

Don't know. I was driving the other way and couldn't see but surely that's the only reason it would be on the road.

Posted

Don't know. I was driving the other way and couldn't see but surely that's the only reason it would be on the road.

It might have been delivering grit to an outlying depot, going to the pub :drinks: , on a training run...  Sometimes the truth is simple :blink2: and if the temp was as high as your post suggest and if the temp was as high as your post suggests, it seems unlikely that it was gritting.

Mild and cloudy here... :closedeyes:

Edit... the toilet just flushed at the end of the corridor... and I'm the only person at home :help:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

This can only mean one thing

Your not alone

• Like 1

Posted

Phantom flusher...same one that stole our snow! :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Although you wouldn't know it from the weather outside, we are/were pretty close to something interesting synoptically for next week, although sadly it won't develop any further than this:

gfs-0-48.png?12

HP generally still in charge, which makes a nice change from the storms of the last few winters (although not from what in hindsight looks like a decent January in the context of the last two winters), although hints that maybe some cold may return from the northwest before the month's end:

EDH1-240.GIF?13-12

• Like 4

Posted

I think young HC musta taken the hint re the lurkers and installed a sophisticated lurker-sensing autoflush system. Either that or the phantom turd burglar's come to pay a visit...

• Like 2

Posted

The stats back you up on this spectacularly on the sunshine amounts, the frost anomalies are far lower though:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

Aberdeen and surrounding areas sitting at more than 170% of normal sunshine amounts in January 2015.

Great, thanks for that. I knew it would be very above average and the same goes for late last year too.

Posted

Whats under the floorboards HC?

Lol you have an elephant's memory. Been building up a good reserve of Cote de Rhone in the last few years, just starting to reap the rewards of patience.

I got out for a ride this afternoon and wish I'd taken my camera. Some classic winter views over cold hollows of storm-damaged trees and mist, and some contented cows and sheep doing very little on the fields.  I guess ewes would be a good way towards lambing by now, hence some reluctance to shift when whistled at by a passing cyclist. There was also some grain spilt on a road, the start of this year's crop.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin'Kilties! My, my it's a wee bit nippy lot there this morning', depending on which weather station I consult it's either -2.2c, -2.4c or a teeth chattering -8.8c. Take your pick. Very clear and frosty, blue, blue skies, a lovely day ahead!

Posted

A grey and misty 3C when dropped son off at Air Cadets, they are off Clay Pigeon shooting today, so if in the vicinity of Cambuslang, you have been warned. lol 

• Like 1