Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Moffat I will stick a few quid in tonight. What's the deal with the Lowther hill? I note you need to be a member to ski there. If someone decided to go for a day on a whim. Could you join at the site on the day. I might join but I am not that close where I will use it very often. It's probably a lot closer than the Coe or Shee. I presume there are off piste options as well?

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well had a fantastic days skiing on Sunday at the Coe. Managed every run other than Rannoch Glades. The bottom access runs were in great shape. Off to Nevis Range tomorrow hoping for more of the same. There is a breakdown being talked about at the weekend. I just hope it's not too mild as it would be a shame to lose all the snow on the lower slopes. I have another 4 day ski trip at the end of the month. It's not clear if there will be any snow after the thaw between the 15th and 18th!

Oooh, let us know how Nevis Range is please. We'll be over that way Thu night for a few nights so will be hoping to get a day or two in at Nevis Range Fri/Sat/Sun depending on the weather and snow conditions. Currently the Met Office 5 day forecast for the ski centre looks OKish. I'm assuming it's for the top Gondola station, where it has the temps generally a degree or two either side of freezing through to Sat, with maybe even a light top-up of snow in the next couple of days.

Posted

Nae bother Ravelin. I think the back corries are open but Braveheart chair has still not run! I don't mind dropping over the summit and then going back round the mountain anyway. Will report on the general conditions. Strangely one of my favourite runs is the one right under the chair. Not that challenging but great snow. :D

Posted

Moffat I will stick a few quid in tonight. What's the deal with the Lowther hill? I note you need to be a member to ski there. If someone decided to go for a day on a whim. Could you join at the site on the day. I might join but I am not that close where I will use it very often. It's probably a lot closer than the Coe or Shee. I presume there are off piste options as well?

:D

Thanks, November. :) The annual membership cost is about the price of a day ticket at Gorm, Shee, Coe, Nevis & Lecht or Braehead XScape, but for that price, you can come along ski whenever the cub is running lifts. We've got about 200 members now, and have run portable tows in various locations about 15 days so far this season, with some days when 30-40 members have been along already. You've got to sign up for membership in advance though, but some people are doing it the day before their first visit.

Regards 'off piste', as we don't have a groomer, strictly speaking, it's all 'off-piste', even next to the tow line, but we also have a great wee gully to go at too.

Here're some pix I've taken starting from Lowther Hill ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157649336482618/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157649659082211/

We do hope to get a groomer to help consolidate the snow, but don't yet have the money. As per the recent announcement, the established ski resorts are getting a 75% contribution to new infrastructure for every 25% they put in, but without getting overly 'political', the SW of Scotland doesn't have access to that scheme, although I hope we can find some other help towards funding.

Anyway, here's a link to the club web page where you can join up, and which also includes an on-link to the crowd fund site for the webcam and weather station ... http://www.skiclub.lowtherhills.com/

Purely from my weather geekdom POV, with one of our cameras & the weather station located at 700 metres ASL, the data will be fascinating. And on days like today, whatever the time of the year, the view north over the inversion towards the Central Belt should be stunning.  :D

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 4

I wouldn't say winter's over, but winter's a pile of mince this year. Nowt brewing in the charts, might as well start looking for more warm and settled weather at this rate :)

Posted

From 2 days of sunshine................to today. Cloud did creep in. Didn't feel particulairy warm at all

Posted

Looks stunning Moffat. I will maybe sign up at the end of the month. Let's hope for a big dump of snow before then! I can probably get there in about an hour and a quarter from where I am. I would guess over the back of Lanark! The wife wouldn't come as she likes toilets and all the parafanalia though. One for a half day on my own I think.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

A Max of 6.6C here today and just under 6C at kings buildings in Edinburgh. Nearly 4C colder than yesterday due to the cloud cover. Cloudy all day in Edinburgh too. It's lower now at 3.8C here than it has been on recent nights and 1.9C at KB uni weather station

Posted

Nice little snow risk for Friday very early am - 850's dropping back below 0c, though maybe just a little bit too marginal.

Posted

So despite there being no frost, no ice, none in the forecast and a temp of +3c Edinburgh City Council have just been up and down the estate throwing more grit around!

Posted

So despite there being no frost, no ice, none in the forecast and a temp of +3c Edinburgh City Council have just been up and down the estate throwing more grit around!

As I said a couple of days ago, they seem to do it any time the temperature goes below 10C. That might be an exaggeration, but certainly any time it goes below 5C. Grit just makes a mess of the streets. I would rather grit wasn't used even when it is icy or snowy. That would make things more interesting and there wouldn't be a mess left behind when things melted. After a week of no rain or snow, the paths and roads are finally dry in Grangemouth but I imagine they'll still be wet in Edinburgh as they always seem to be. A low of 3.0C overnight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Kilties! Calm and cloudy this morning, 4.4c, pressure 1016. Not missing the snow much!

Posted

Breaking the trend in here yet again with an overnight low of -5.4C, which was around 7:30am as I noticed it start rising after that. That's probably close to as low as we've had all winter. Another decent frost from that but of course it's not hanging around long as it warms up rapidly in the sun. The highs in Dyce in the last 3 days have been 9.4C, 10.4C & 9.4C, which feels more than decent in the sun, especially with no real wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

My gloom has just lifted and the sun has broken through the clouds, hoorah

• Like 1

Frosty & bright start but the cloud's back so a dank chilly afternoon ahead. Pfft.

We never even had the joy of a bright start, it's been dank and chilly all day here. I'd put off taking MrsC's mutts for a walk until later to see if the sun came out, it's not going to happen now (the sun, the dog walk is mandatory). Pffft indeed :(

Posted

Didn't get to Nevis today. Skied at Glencoe again. The top runs stayed in the mist all day. Snow was crunchy off piste not great. However reverted to the bottom access runs as they were firm but good and I could actually see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Read it and weep people....just the 200cm in 2 weeks

Wow! Crazy photos of the Boston snow storm from the past two weeks: http://t.co/A9TfCjfn5x http://t.co/p94JrjO5aC

• Like 3

Posted

A low of 2.0C at 9.15 after a high of 5.6C yesterday. After 4 sunny days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday) and 2 cloudy days(Tuesday, Wednesday), we're back in the sun. On the train it looks as if there is some cloud to the north and west.

Posted

Another decent overnight frost. Don't know what the min was as I forgot to reset my weather station yesterday but it was -4.4C when I got up this morning and on the rise. Blue skies, sunny and calm.

Oh, I've decided I'm moving to Boston!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Fk Boston, who wants so much snow your roof collapses? ;)

Another cold & sunny start here so made the most of it with an early bike ride.  Lungs hurt afterwards but it was worth it. Can't beat the views with mist swirling between the shelter belts and hedges.

Another decent overnight frost. Don't know what the min was as I forgot to reset my weather station yesterday but it was -4.4C when I got up this morning and on the rise. Blue skies, sunny and calm.

Oh, I've decided I'm moving to Boston!

Aye, we might not have had that much snow but we've certainly been well looked after with frosts. I'm not sure what my overnight low was here, but it was still -0.6ºC when I got up at 8am (lazy days on holiday :D ). Incredibly I've still got a small remnant of snow in my garden, the back grass is north facing so it's frozen solid out there despite some warm days recently. We were up at the woods walking the dogs this morning and there's still large areas of proper snow in the sheltered clearings in the woods.

ECM not fantastic in terms of a prolonged cold shot, but there's bits and bobs to look for:

post-2844-0-52485000-1423740214_thumb.gipost-2844-0-38352500-1423740215_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

There seem to be some colder options appearing in the medium term... Don't get excited yet but it doesn't look as dreary an end to the winter as it did a week ago.