Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Thoughts go out to all those affected by the harrowing scenes in George Square, so sad.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Cheers Rab I did think looking at the faxes there is a small occluded feature early hours of xmas morning...as others said above though with events in Glasgow it really makes me appreciate the family and Christmas... Amazing bad luck considering the chopper tragedy last year

Edited by edodfc

Posted

Well the GFS parallel continues to want to give some of us a decent winter snowstorm with very cold uppers following in from behind....could do with some support from ECM but ukmo not a million miles away from this scenario is think....lorenzo? CMD? AwT? BLITZY? ss? hc? Rab? Anyone who has some knowledge able to comment....list of posters not exhaustive :)

Does look like we could pull a ne flow and with those uppers potential for some meaty convection maybe

post-15765-0-20127900-1419288839_thumb.j

post-15765-0-06918100-1419288848_thumb.j

Edited by edodfc
  • Like 3

Posted

Yup OTR been up to give the kids an extra kiss and cuddle and will be extra patient in the morning with the usual early day shenanigans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Truly terrible scenes in Glasgow today, goes to show how tragedy can strike at any moment. Thoughts go out to my home away from home this evening.

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes, the weather seems very trivial given events in my hometown. Awful.

It's mostly cloudy here in Crail this morning, 5c.

Things look progressively cooler with wintry showers as we head towards Christmas Day and the odd surprise covering of snow at lower levels can't be ruled out. At least it should feel seasonal. All eyes then on the track of the weekend storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Been nothing much to say weather wise the last few days so I haven't bothered. Overnight low last night was 0.1C so nearly another air frost. It was still only 0.5C at 7:30am with a slight frost on the grass and cars. Lovely bright looking day outside at the moment, can't see a cloud in the sky.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Constant rain over the last 36 hours... On top of already saturated ground. My weather station is playing up so I'm unable to say how much rain has fallen but I'd hazard a guess at 25-30 mm. With 75-100mm having fallen in the last 7-10 days here in Dumfries.

Absolute Quagmire out there. The only positive is that it's only 3 months until the grass starts to properly come though.

I love winter, even the storms that bring rain as opposed to snow but the constant mud and rain is depressing and lead to so much work with the animals.

The River Nith flooded yesterday, closing one of the main roads through the town, 3 days before Christmas!

I'd certainly need more than one hand to count the number of times it has flooded in 2014, an absolute joke. A problem which will never be rectified... Much hot air is spoken but never any action.

Aswell, as the horrendous events yesterday in Glasgow, a young boy (my age) fell in the river on Sunday night and hasn't been found.

I know from my brief spell of rowing and practicing for falling in, that it doesn't look good. That river is immensely strong and it shows what can happen. Puts everything in perspective and makes one realise how none of us know what's round the corner

- although you just need to nip in the MOD thread for that ;)

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Great sunny day here very little wind and currently 4c.      Ground frost came in with the dawn and is still there in the shade.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Not a bad day here. Sun was out for a good part of the day then cloudier with some very light drizzle, then dry again. Not too chilly.

Braved the local shops and it was remarkably easy to get everything I needed. Shop local !

No idea with the models all seems very unclear.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 1

Posted

Nice day here today, no rain, little wind and starting to feel chilly again, car down to 4C at 3pm today.

Had a wonder out to Palacerigg early and saw Santa's Reindeer's getting ready. :smiliz19:  (They are there honest)

post-2849-0-94343800-1419352344_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

Positively balmy compared to some of the temperatures you lot have been posting. Reached a max of 9.7c and currently a pretty mild 7.8.

Rain is still off and on :(

Posted

A better day with some brightness and clear sky to speak of. Looking at the models, a cold Xmas is almost upon us and shortly after that low pressure in the North Sea could deliver cold and brisk northerly wind. Into the New Year and it seems high pressure will try to battle its way NE as the polar vortex returns to Greenland/Canada. It will be very difficult to achieve an easterly in this set up so we'll probably end up with high pressure close by to the South.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Howdy Peeps! Clear and cold here, temp currently 1.1 or 4.1 depending on which weather station I choose to believe! I hit the Co-op in Portree today....lawdy, lawdy, the busiest I've seen it in weeks! Managed to get everything I needed, so wont be venturing anywhere tomorrow. Went to see The Hobbit last night too. V good film!

• Like 1

Posted

Right, got to get this off my chest.....

Oh dear, dear, the Model Output thread has been getting so petty the last few days! Not the usual 'toy out of the pram' stuff but low level bickering about what model/solution is right/wrong, how cold or mild it's going to be etc. It's getting to the silly stage!!! When the models can't agree what will happen on Saturday/Sunday it's just pointless arguing over whether it will be 'Atlantic onslaught' or 'Scandi Block' at the start of 2015. I've never know it to be quite this bad, I think too many people just have too much time on their hands at the moment.

OK, that's it, thank you for your patience.

• Like 5

Posted

Right, got to get this off my chest.....

Oh dear, dear, the Model Output thread has been getting so petty the last few days! Not the usual 'toy out of the pram' stuff but low level bickering about what model/solution is right/wrong, how cold or mild it's going to be etc. It's getting to the silly stage!!! When the models can't agree what will happen on Saturday/Sunday it's just pointless arguing over whether it will be 'Atlantic onslaught' or 'Scandi Block' at the start of 2015. I've never know it to be quite this bad, I think too many people just have too much time on their hands at the moment.

OK, that's it, thank you for your patience.

Fair point. Although, developments tonight have been positive IMO.

I agree it's childish and a farce but I think there is a part in all of us that secretly loves it.

Also, I'm not sure it's the worst I've seen it. The days of Ian Brown and a few 'Mildies' versus everyone else often led to very eated debates with threads being closed and members being suspended. It hasn't come to that yet but we are only on the 23rd of December haha so still very early

• Like 3

Massive agreement between the ECM & UKMO taking the low south down the North Sea, GFS having none of it and taking the low east over the North Sea. Interesting stuff.

Posted

Down to -1.8C here already (well below the 1C forecast). In fact it dropped below freezing fairly early, before 6PM if I remember correctly.

Posted

And the GFS (as suspected) backs down :)

I thought it would come kicking and screaming but it's moved pretty far towards the euros on the 18z.

So fingers crossed we get some actual cold and I'm sure a lucky few on here will see the white stuff! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Much excitement at gfs climb down!!

Could it be??

Off to bed, catch up

In the morning