Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Rained just after 1 and the fog seemed to lift a bit but it's now back with avengance. Weird weather day (seems to be colder now than it was this morning at half past 9 too) and now the fog lifting again

Edited by NUT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Freezing out there, sore face on my coldometer but rewarded with loads of amazing frost flowers scattered throughout the forest.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Seasons greetings to all. Hope Christmas went well.

Drove up from a balmy 3C in Edinburgh to Dundee at lunchtime to find freezing fog and a max of -0.1C so a possible ice day if no rise this evening. Something we didn't manage all last Winter. currently -1.1C and foggy with rime on the grass and trees.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Tentatively saying ... that I think this is our first ice day this year? Not got above 0 today (got close but not above here anyways). 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I see it's snowing heaviest the West Bromwich Albino match....I think that's one of the highest grounds in England and it's raining at old Trafford....as OTR says looking good as an ice day today...everything white...Thought it had snowed earlier it was that white....will checking late tonight see if any chance of showers making it this far over night

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

ThermometÉ™ just krept abuv ziro fer É™ short wyul urliÉ™ thus spoyling thÉ™ iys dei hiÉ™  (Hmm need to practise that...)

Hoping to get a snow fix if I drive south to Lancs tomorrow. Forecast makes it look potentially interesting!

Was Santa good to you all?  Lots of chocolate here plus some strange co-operative board game going on in the kitchen. I'm boycotting it cos it's not competitive.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Tentatively saying ... that I think this is our first ice day this year? Not got above 0 today (got close but not above here anyways). 

Almost certainly - we were nowhere near getting one at any other point as far as I can remember. Not an ice day here as it got up to the dizzy heights of 0.7C but still very cold. Some superb mesoscale modelling from the NMM:

nmm_uk1-0-1-0.png?26-17

1 hour after initialisation it had temperatures widely 2-3C above what they actually were here :rofl:

GFS P again keeps the precipitation further west and gives some accumulations to low levels by evening:33-780PUK.GIF?26-12

• Like 6

Posted

Nice and cold, yesterday maxed at -2 and the same today. Was at -6c when I woke through the night.

Currently -3.5c and everything beautifully frosted. A Boxing Day trip to the dentist for a troublesome wisdom tooth was super fun times..... Hope you are all well and snug

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Saw that big blob heading this way on the radar. Showing a rain/snow mix away from the coast & open water.

Pretty sure it'll be rain in Glasgow as well.

Posted

Just looking at the radar - and there's some stuff developing just east of Fort William headed south and east.  Surprise for the Central Belt?

• Like 3

Posted

Just looking at the radar - and there's some stuff developing just east of Fort William headed south and east.  Surprise for the Central Belt?

Yes please, even a dusting would be nice.

Posted

Just popped out with bins , and it's raining :( please turn to snow ;) 2 degrees and rain just seems unfair. !

West of Scotland snow shield doing it's thing again? :)

Posted

Looks like the low is stalling and turning back ever so slightly north...areas higher up in Sheffield Nottingham and Derby should be gettingba good dump....lsmpie watching in an hour in case that 10 min looking shower makes it through as sleet to here :)

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Looks like the low is stalling and turning back ever so slightly north...areas higher up in Sheffield Nottingham and Derby should be gettingba good dump....lsmpie watching in an hour in case that 10 min looking shower makes it through as sleet to here :)

Right,ahv got it now Edo!!!

lamp Post watching.

Ah thought ye had a link take a webcam in some wee village in Yorkshire.

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Why has met office got a warning out for snow for most of central scotland? Where's it meant to come from the radar looks empty up here apart from a couple of stingey looking showers way out in the atlantic?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=st&fcTime=1419638400

Warning is from 2200 but even then where would this precipitation magically appear from?

Posted

Right,ahv got it now Edo!!!

lamp Post watching.

Ah thought ye had a link take a webcam in some wee village in Yorkshire.

Faf I should have put a hiccup in my post.....estrella and baileys induced ramblings

• Like 2

Posted

Why has met office got a warning out for snow for most of central scotland? Where's it meant to come from the radar looks empty up here apart from a couple of stingey looking showers way out in the atlantic?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=st&fcTime=1419638400

Warning is from 2200 but even then where would this precipitation magically appear from?

The fax chart showed a trough feature following in and with cold uppers progged they may be anticipating decent levels of convection

Posted

The shower activity to the NW of the Scottish mainland will sink SE tonight. Whether it will keep enough intensity is another matter.

Posted

Tulloch Bridge at -1/-1ºC reporting light rain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Faf I should have put a hiccup in my post.....estrella and baileys induced ramblings

Baileys... tssk, ya decadent heathen, the one true Talisker chez HC. (Plus assorted beers & wines but the less said the better till 'er upstairs puts her head down.)

Could be an interesting journey tomorrow.  Just been into the Big Smoke (Sneckie) and it was cold but not below -2C between here and there.  Some slidy bits on untreated roads, which is everywhere except the A9. Apparently the Highland Council are going to 'slash' the gritting and ploughing budget... Fun for some but there'll be others not so happy.

• Like 2

Posted

Baileys... tssk, ya decadent heathen, the one true Talisker chez HC. (Plus assorted beers & wines but the less said the better till 'er upstairs puts her head down.)

Could be an interesting journey tomorrow.  Just been into the Big Smoke (Sneckie) and it was cold but not below -2C between here and there.  Some slidy bits on untreated roads, which is everywhere except the A9. Apparently the Highland Council are going to 'slash' the gritting and ploughing budget... Fun for some but there'll be others not so happy.

Highland Park here tonight. Looks like it will be studded tyres in future council tax been frozen for a while now. Also if these cuts appear I  confidently forecast  much colder winters for the next few years in Highland Region.

Thousands of pigeons eating neep tops this morning something they only do usually do after weeks of hard frost  maybe its not going to warm up soon.  Currently -3c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Some snaps from our winter wonderland Boxing Day walk around Comrie late this afternoon. 

Our first ice day since December 2012 (I think): maximum of -1.3ºC after an overnight low of -4.3ºC. 

Weather station is showing the snow symbol - please weathergods...'mon the snow!

post-6412-0-23304700-1419634495_thumb.jppost-6412-0-66837100-1419634689_thumb.jppost-6412-0-78268700-1419634762_thumb.jppost-6412-0-22690100-1419634799_thumb.jppost-6412-0-96137600-1419634860_thumb.jp

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 5