Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Hi folks, just had a clap of thunder, gusty wind and a temp of 6.5.

Merry Christmas to everyone, high hopes of some of the white stuff next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Cripes he'll have to feed his reindeer summat special if he's going to be here in time!

Meanwhile.... heavy blustery showers this morning. Ms HC out running (officially, I think there may be some 'refreshments' later) and younger HCs haven't emerged from respective scratchers yet so Santa's able to get stuff done. At last :smiliz19: ...!

GFS seems still to be having trouble even in the short to medium term.  Could do with knowing whether the sledge needs fettling for the weekend.

Posted

Very wet and windy here with squally showers and currently 3.5c.  Hills very white over 900 feet.

A very seasonal feel to Christmas this year .May I wish you all here on the Scottish thread a Very Merry Christmas.

• Like 4

Posted

Just got some pretty big hailstones here! attachicon.gifIMAG0425.jpg

There's just some of the hail from that nasty little shower that went through. Thunder was loud!

Edited by NUT
  • Like 5

Posted

Of course coastal Fife isn't within the Met Office warning area - even if things align perfectly for the Central Lowlands we'd likely pull in some modified air off the North Sea which would prevent any snowfall near the immediate coast. There's a good reason snowfall is a rare and special event hereabouts!

Anyway a seasonal and interesting few days of festive weather coming up! A very merry Christmas to all on this thread!

• Like 3

Posted

Hail stiorm now

Not long drove through this in Polmont, was almost a white out out was that heavy, 

this was it passing through...

post-2849-0-26038900-1419431149_thumb.jp

Saw a Sea King fly overhead heading towards Ochils about 25min ago.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

A sporty drive home through a strong convective shower, heavy rain and lots of hail. Cracking cell overhead just now and just caught a rumble of Thunder.

post-7292-0-77642700-1419433459_thumb.jp

Satellite beautifully backlighting the stream at sunset time.

post-7292-0-95416500-1419433599_thumb.jp

Nice lively day !

Posted
From the Chief Forecaster's assessment on the MetO website:A deepening depression is expected to affect the UK on Friday Saturday. There remains greater than average uncertainty regarding the track of this depression, but the most likely scenario is for this depression to track eastwards across the UK rather than just north of Britain. The exact track of this depression is critical to snow risk, especially for the Central Belt of Scotland with snow here more likely should the centre of this depression track across the southern Uplandsor northern England.

From an IMBY point of view, would be nice if the last bit happened, but not holding my breath!  At the very least, some hills somewhere should get a pasting though - an interesting period ahead.

Merry Christmas to all on the thread!

Edited by spindrift1980
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Just wanted to quickly post my Best Wishes for a Happy Christmas to everyone on the thread....been a pretty challenging week with the wee man on a ventilator but given good festive news as he fought back from his infections and is now out of ITU

So Christmas in hospital but not as bad as I feared....I'm pretty sure Santa still visits there.

Best wishes to all

DR(S) NO

Glad he's on the mend Dr, all the best to you, him and everyone on here for Christmas  :smiliz19:

• Like 2

Posted

Happy christmas to you all , we have had hail and thunder today :) just need some snow. Wee poem ,,,

Snowflake

Created from dust

Water formed crystals

Each one unique

A billion ways

To say precision

Falling down slowly

Blown in the wind

Some find each other

Clinging as they touch

Descending taken

In gravity to

The earth where

They began

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Good post LS, took the words and charts right out of my mouth ;) (not really haha)

I've been avidly following the met office's 5 day forecast.

At first the usual predicted 6c rain, it always plays it very conservatively (whether this is pure raw UKMO predictions or what I'm unsure).

Anyway, it's since consistently brought the temperatures down and we now sit at 3c and rain and snow predicted and it's just all over the place.

So, with a bit of luck and a slight westward correction 50 miles would do to be safe (IMBY) - which won't be known until t-12 or closer - quite a few of us, including me could see at least falling snow, if not a light dusting.

I feel with warm ground temperatures, very wet ground and with the heaviest precipitation having started to depart before the really cold air digs in, that a dusting is fairly realistic on low ground

High ground could see much more than that, even 100m could make a difference.

Fingers crossed.

More importantly, the longer-term looks promising with it finally turning drier and frosty. Considering winter 2013-14 brought very few frosts, I for one will be pleased for some nice frosty, crisp, sunny weather, perhaps even some hoar frost could occur with low minima - especially given any snow cover.

Let's hope the Scandi high and undercut occurs but that means hoping on board the model rollercoaster all over again...

• Like 3

Posted

Delighted to hear that news Dr (s)no.

A very merry Christmas to each and everyone of you. Enjoy your day and what ever weather is thrown at you in the coming few days.

Posted

Posted Christmas videos for a week last year in the run up to Christmas This was the most popular.

'The Futureheads' 'Christmas Was Better In The 1980's'.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

ACH well as long as pulls in the cold air in behind and we maybe get some convection...to be honest I wouldn't take notice of the track until about T48...

Great news Dr Sno sounds like the wee man is a fighter....merry Xmas to all of you and thanks LS for that thorough summary

ACH well as long as pulls in the cold air in behind and we maybe get some convection...to be honest I wouldn't take notice of the track until about T48...

I think the southerly track might be a better option as it allows colder uppers in and possibly some showers along the east. The frontal rain/snow looked dodgy below about 200m. We'll see, it  may well end up as the blizzard of all time for lowland Scotland :D (c'mon Santa....please!!!)

Posted

Just realised is t48 I have Xmas fever ......traumatised by realising we have 8 binliners worth of presents.,..where the fleck are we gonna put it all

Edited by edodfc
  • Like 1

Posted
:) be ironic after all your comments on Kelso if you got buried....you never know
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I think the southerly track might be a better option as it allows colder uppers in and possibly some showers along the east. The frontal rain/snow looked dodgy below about 200m. We'll see, it may well end up as the blizzard of all time for lowland Scotland :D (c'mon Santa....please!!!)

I know.... My hopes weren't raised too much as the heaviest precipitation was over your side (sorry haha).

The caveat i'd apply is March 2013. I remember worrying about the mild air to the South West of the low reaching here as the snow was central belt t-96 ish

Then by t-72 it looked like Lanarkshire with me ok ish.

By t-48 it was barely making the border, with people in the MOD stating that Cumbria and even Yorkshire would miss out and somewhere near Birmingham would be about right. A fair call at that time as the low was stalling earlier and earlier against the block with each passing run.

However, in the end Arran got buried and Cumbria upto basically me did very well too. I had 8- 10 inches roughly (it drifted so very hard to accurately tell), 15 miles NW (where I went to school) 4 inches - despite being higher up - and 15 miles further on that road at Sanquhar they had no snow at all just a couple flakes in the wind apparently.

Fine margins and you never know but it does look like the Pennines will take the brunt of the snow :(

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1