Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Merry Christmas to everyone on our thread and on NW. Thanks for all the input, info and laughs hope Santa is good to you all. x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Fully expect to be on here tomorrow, abd weather model addiction, albeit whilst hiding in the kitchen away from the madness !

Thanks for the links earlier Cheggers. All presents sorted out and looking forward to seeing the kids go daft in the morning.

Wishing all on oor wee Regional thread a very very Merry Xmas and again thanks for joining in the fun on Netweather.

Have a magical day !

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

If not on tomorrow(oh what am I saying of course I will be here tomorrow haha!) Anyway have great Christmas folks enjoy and health all round to all (remember to fill that stomach before hitting the buckfast ha!).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Merry (almost) Xmas to everyone.

Low of -2.6C last night keeps up a good count of air frosts for Dec so far here, even if snow has been in short supply. Was raining earlier but clear and 1.8C currently so not sure if we'll get another frost tonight. Could well do as forecast for tomorrow is cold but sunny.

Time to get to sleep as never sure how early I'll be woken tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

FAX chart is a bit further south than the GFS Para, which still looks to give some frontal snowfall up our way:

gfs-0-54.png?18 PPVJ89.png

However, a few interesting things strike me from the FAX charts - firstly, the trough round the top of the low, which suggests some more organised convection in play. Given the slack look of the flow (a good thing for keeping it cold enough at the surface but not amazing for getting showers inland) some sort of organised feature would help us hugely, especially if we got another shallow shortwave to develop. Through Saturday itself the slack low heights allow for an occlusion to run down the country, bringing the potential for more snow:

PPVK89.png

A bit of a westward correction on the second low coming down and we could be looking at something like this:

bracka20050301.gif

or this:

bracka20091223.gif

Certainly setups like this are filled with snow potential, whether from the easterly component or the frontal (or 'pseudo frontal'/ shallow shortwave type stuff like the charts above). 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Merry Christmas folks / nollaig cridheil a h-uile duine. Hope it's a grand one for you all!

-1.4'C below freezing here but no precipitation nearby, if we're lucky we'll get one as there a few big showers moving into Sutherland.

Have a great one folks!

• Like 2

Merry Xmas everyone, I hope Santa's good to you all :D

I've got the hump with him, what looked like a promising wee chance of a snowstorm now looks like missing a long, long way south. Latest charts from the Euro4 show the precip almost failing to make it to the Humber, let alone Northumberland, and a good few hundred miles away from Scotland. Epic fail by all the models :( lol :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well not a white Xmas, as expected, but it is a frosty Xmas. Temp was -2.0C when we were dragged downstairs at 7am this morning and still -0.9C right now.

Wont be on much after this as I'll be 2000m up a mountain in France from Saturday. Expecting to see some snow fall when we get there and possibly on Sunday. I'll try to post a photo or two if I can.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Sunny and chilly which is perfect for Christmas really (although snow would be preferable for me personally although not for grandparents etc)

A nice few days to come although no snow for most of us really.

I still feel the models are being overly progressive but it does look like our block will (temporarily) be crushed by the Atlantic.

We can but hope.

Merry Christmas all and be thankful for what we have all got, especially pertinent considering recent sobering events...

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted

Merry Christmas to you all Kilted. It snowed early on Christmas Eve but not since so no white Christmas here either

Not gone above -2C today though so it looks very seasonal indeed. The squirrels had to borrow my blowtorch and an ice pick to open their feed box, they're now round at the pine martins getting pished on egg nog in dodgy jumpers

Have a great day with your dearest and aye, give them an extra squeeze in light of the sadness others will be feeling this Christmas

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 3

Posted

Well not a white Xmas, as expected, but it is a frosty Xmas. Temp was -2.0C when we were dragged downstairs at 7am this morning and still -0.9C right now.

Wont be on much after this as I'll be 2000m up a mountain in France from Saturday. Expecting to see some snow fall when we get there and possibly on Sunday. I'll try to post a photo or two if I can.

Great forecast for the alps 60cm to 80cm ATM have a good time

russell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Happy Xmas all! it's currently -2c with gin clear skies. FAB! I doubt we'll see anything in the way of white stuff, but those of you who have any....ENJOY!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Merry Christmas all. Hope everyone's having a nice one and Santa was good to you.

Just had a nice walk with the dugs. 2.6 C, clear and still.

I see the southerners are going to get all the snaw - pants. Still looks chilly and frosty at least. Have a wee couple of snaw symbols for Saturday from the met, so might get lucky yet.

Now, back to good food and beer...

• Like 3

Posted

Fantastic sunny winters day here too.    -2c at dawn and never got above  0c all day.   Great no mud on the farm so much easier to walk on!!!!

A  few snow showers over the Firth to the NE all day .Photos not that  clear as showers to far away.post-2744-0-68048500-1419522167_thumb.jppost-2744-0-75986200-1419522135_thumb.jppost-2744-0-12510000-1419522182_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

A Merry Christmas to all of my scottish friends on here ;) I hope you all got what you wanted (I got spoilt with money, clothes, DVD'S and various other things)

Beautiful day here. The cold though during the day can only mean 1 thing.........cold night to come me thinks

• Like 1

Posted

Was just going to say SS, a wee reminder for everyone, winter officially starts tomorrow. This occurs when "a daft wee bit of snow falls in an area where the London media can send reports from" so please forget any snow you've already seen, it wasn't real :)

To keep this post more weather related, it's -3C here

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Got my first proper weather station today, very happy! But not got the right batteries so I'll need to wait a couple of days before I can start using it. A lovely dry, sunny, cold day here which after snow is the next best weather you can get on Christmas Day.

Merry Christmas everybody

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Snow warnings out in force for England, hopefully we get some tomorrow, Steve Murr reckons we or at least the highlands will in good position for the second low/shortwave in arouns 48hours time. Enjoy rest of day as I head back to listen to some of the Beatles.