Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Still misty here, can just about see the disc of the sun temp 0.6 after a high of 1.1 though it looks like it is going to get less cold over the coming days.

sandstorm2

Posted

How long is this mild "blip" expected to last?

Sadly the situation is unlikely to change for the foreseeable future, I'd say a fortnight minimum. All eyes on the stratosphere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Still -2.2c under heavy, thick freezing fog. Very, very cold and probably (without looking at my records) the coldest max since December 2010 if it doesn't warm up (time is running out for that).

Makes up for a lack of snowfall, shame it isn't to last :(

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

-1C with the freezing fog staying put.

post-21143-0-08527800-1419865751_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Frost/fog mostly lifted (the fog has) a few patches of frost remaining but won't be as cold tonight as it was night before

Edited by NUT

Posted

I still have a small chance of squeezing my first ice day of this winter with a max of -0.2c so far today. Given that temperatures are expected to rise later tonight though its probably touch and go. A great winters day today in any case.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Sadly the situation is unlikely to change for the foreseeable future, I'd say a fortnight minimum. All eyes on the stratosphere.

Lol has this become the MT...must check the charts again because this morning there was a PM blast at the weekend admittedly not widespread snow to low levels but far from mild....strat looking promising reading tweets from lorenzo and chino and Matt Hugo earlier hopefully this evenings ECM has kept up the theme...will have a look later after the mad bedtime run about to start....nothing like hyper kids oot their nuts on chocolate....they had a lot of fun on sledges today though out on the thin frozen snow cover...amazing how little needed for them to have so much fun

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Clear at -2C at present. Looks like I will scrape an ice day before milder air arrives. The max this afternoon was -0.3C.

Posted

Frost melted quite a bit today but did not completely melt. Frost increasing quickly now since dusk but I do not expect it to be anywhere near as cold as last night. This morning it looked like it had snowed during the night. Fingers crossed those stratospheric warmings impact on us further down the line! The models are really teasing us at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

We have now hit the heady heights of 5c or 8.9c depending on which weather station I look at! That is positively tropical! I see that the Ne'er day storm has downgraded substantially. This morning XC stated gusts of up to 70mph, now it's down to 46mph. That I can live with, it means I'll probably get the steak pie cooked before power goes off! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Woke up to a fog-free (and above freezing) Fife but a little way down the A9 west of Perth it was thick in it.....and it didn't let up all the way into the Trossachs today. 

Managed to get above it on Ben Venue though.

post-10976-0-85368100-1419883009_thumb.j

The hills were nice and white but it's purely cosmetic, and most of it will disappear with some rain to summit levels.

post-10976-0-13719400-1419882997_thumb.j

Just have to enjoy it while it's here eh?  Just like this chap was doing today :)

post-10976-0-39241700-1419883120_thumb.j

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Frosty didn't budge today, it's still white out there. Another nice day on the slopes and hoping for one more tomorrow before the wind takes over. Doing a wee cold dance to make the mild a mini blip and hoping we get more snow off the next wee cold blast. Mon the snaw!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Was dry and bright here until I headed into Edinburgh ocean terminal and then I met the fog. Fog did dissipate by about 3.30. Very frosty on way home at 9pm. All in all cold but a lovely winters day.

• Like 1

Posted

Glasgow airport just missed out its first ice day since Dec 2012 with 1c recorded at 11.50pm. Nevertheless, today had the coldest maximum since March 2013. For the 32hrs the temperature failed to get above 0C.

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 2

Posted

All the frost has been swept away now (I know that as the motors out the street had a sheet on front windscreen and what not about a hour ago and now.....................they don't)

• Like 2

Lol has this become the MT...must check the charts again because this morning there was a PM blast at the weekend admittedly not widespread snow to low levels but far from mild....strat looking promising reading tweets from lorenzo and chino and Matt Hugo earlier hopefully this evenings ECM has kept up the theme...will have a look later after the mad bedtime run about to start....nothing like hyper kids oot their nuts on chocolate....they had a lot of fun on sledges today though out on the thin frozen snow cover...amazing how little needed for them to have so much fun

While the charts aren't filling me with awe, they aren't rammed full of mild either. We're stuck in weather limbo, neither here nor there. Fingers crossed it breaks to proper cold fairly soon as this halfway house is leaving me very frustrated.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

:)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

WTF,ah dinnae recall any BBC forecasts yesterday showing that ah would wake up take default wet Pi55 this morning!!!

Big Innes

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Need a change in this pattern soon. We are entering the bowels of winter, so to speak! Need some cold northerlies or we aint going to see any of the white stuff. Please not another snowless winter...bored with these recently. :closedeyes:

• Like 4

Posted

Well, if you believe all the talk from not only the mongers of gloom in the MT,but some of the respected posters,it looks like we can write off most of January for any proper winter weather for the UK!

So! this now makes it look like the OPI theory and research which we all were pinning our hopes on, needs much more work by the looks of the current talk and confidence with regards to the actual weather now and forecast for the most of January?

Big pi55ed aff Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 1

Posted

I think it is too early to dismiss the OPI. We have been unfortunate that a subdued PV has shown stubborn resilience. I'll need to have another look back at historic data but I seem to recall that a particularly negative OPI never really correlated a particularly below average Decenber, but either one or both of January and February were below average. If we end up with a below average February then I think the OPI theory is still valid. I thin because the OPI index was so low this year, expectations were too high for a winter along the lines of 09/10.

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 1

Posted

Only bonus Innes, is that the models have been pretty crapp recently. I wouldn't hold any store by what they tell us. We were supposed to get snowmagedon on Boxing day through to new year. Guess what he haw not a drop. :oops: So if they are predicting mild then who knows whit we will actually end up with!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Complete nonsense to write off the whole of January.   Just the usual doom and gloomers on the MOD making these comments.   Fact is, it doesn't take long for something unexpected to appear.   The models certainly do appear to have struggled more this season than I can ever remember.

Some areas down south (midlands) experienced an 8" snowfall on Boxing day and that certainly wasn't expected very much in advance.   We will just have to hang on and bite the bullet meantime.

Anyhoo, after a beautiful sparkling frost last night, it is now a bit dampish and dreich here sitting at 5.6c/4.9c.   Next frost shot I think is around Friday?

• Like 2

Posted

Only bonus Innes, is that the models have been pretty crapp recently. I wouldn't hold any store by what they tell us. We were supposed to get snowmagedon on Boxing day through to new year. Guess what he haw not a drop. :oops: So if they are predicting mild then who knows whit we will actually end up with!

No sure about the Boxing day snow ever really being on for our area Nov13???

There was always talk about that system taking a more southerly track and it did just that!

Ah do recall a couple of weeks back, talk that there could be a colder spell around Christmas day / Boxing day followed by a couple of slightly milder days, then turning much colder again as we go into the New Year.

The Christmas day / Boxing day appears to have panned out,but the New Year (January) cold appears just more wishful thinking by some of those in the MT???

Winter for me was much easier back in the day and snow was a given every year.

It seems that these days it takes something of a miracle!

Big Innes

• Like 1

Posted

Complete nonsense to write off the whole of January. Just the usual doom and gloomers on the MOD making these comments. Fact is, it doesn't take long for something unexpected to appear. The models certainly do appear to have struggled more this season than I can ever remember.

Some areas down south (midlands) experienced an 8" snowfall on Boxing day and that certainly wasn't expected very much in advance. We will just have to hang on and bite the bullet meantime.

Anyhoo, after a beautiful sparkling frost last night, it is now a bit dampish and dreich here sitting at 5.6c/4.9c. Next frost shot I think is around Friday?

Aye Blitzy, we all know which posters to follow and those that are not worth the reading time!

It's when the likes of IF,JH,NS to name but a few, start to talk about poor prospects for the next few weeks, that you then think that things are looking bad!

But we all know that things can and do change. (As changeable as the weather eh!)

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 1