Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

AWT, that post sums up my thoughts nicely. Interesting to know how long we've went without similar cold to what we have now, something I would regard as proper winter cold.

Beautiful winters day in Glasgow today. Would be nice if it was to continue this way. All that was missing was staying below 0 and getting an ice day.

Was also good to hear others saying how much they preferred this to dark grey mild weather. Couldn't agree more.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 3

Posted

Must've been a good few places with an ice day today.  Got a small amount of snow on the boots today with a walk in the Pentlands - very crisp, clear air - could see many distant high hills in Perthshire and the Crianlarich area looking nice and white.  Car thermometer stayed below zero in mid-afternoon through inland Lanarkshire and West Lothian.  The thermometer at Duntilland Quarry on the other side of the mate...er, motorway...from Kirk o' Shotts was showing -60C though  :rofl:  - certainly an ice day and a half!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Another ice day at fort SS.

Haven't used the car for a couple of days and when I went out earlier to go to the shops...

Sheesh. Bloody layer of concrete on it. Talk about ostwald ripening; my various layers of frost with a bit of snaw thrown in had finely matured into boilerplate. Almost become one with the windsreen. Took me ages to get the stuff off, even with some help from Mrs SS's anti-freeze spray.

-2.3 C and gairden a delight of white sparkles.

• Like 5

Posted

I go by glasgow (as it's closest to me) was supposed to be -3 but already I think it's -5. Cold cold night

• Like 2

Posted

Up to 2c this afternoon with light rain showers off the Firth. Now clear starry skies with a weak aurora to the north and another layer of ice on everything. Currently 0c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Clear at -2.4C here. Another cold day with frost persisting all day in our street which is in a bit of a hollow. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Crisp clear cold calm conditions and small splattering of snow remains sparkling in the moonlight...2 ice days in a row I think.... Might take the 2 older ones for a crisp walk at the hermitage tomorrow

• Like 1

Clear at -2.4C here. Another cold day with frost persisting all day in our street which is in a bit of a hollow. 

Snap on all fronts. I've worked out recently that we live on the old riverbed of the Tweed. Not sure how long ago it changed course, but the 30-40ft bank at the back of house runs right round the back of Kelso and it explains why we're in a frost hollow and why the garden floods so quickly when it rains.

Posted

Another interesting evening, the temp just won't drop here and remains at +2c. At Leuchars it's been up and down but also currently at +2c.

Today's max temps somewhat higher than I would have expected: http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/pmextremes.html

• Like 1

Posted

An ice day here, never got above -1C. Went up to Palacerigg again as the sunset was something else tonight.

post-2849-0-23134600-1419806816_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-56776000-1419807040_thumb.jp

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

-5 at 8.30 tonight and probably falling (too cozy to check again). Skiing most days now but hoping for more of the white stuff to improve the cover, that said the views afforded but this lovely high pressure are something to write home about. I'm definitely not complaining.

Edited by snawbaw
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

-5C and falling with freezing fog getting thicker and thicker! :cold:

• Like 1

The storm for shortly after New Year appears on some models and doesn't appear to appear on others. Maybe I'm missing it? Here's a frame from the latest GFSP 00z:

post-2844-0-99259700-1419835138_thumb.pn

Net-Weather's own medium range model picks up some very strong winds for around the same timeframe, although I don't have the full version from Extra to see where these winds come from. I must have been bad since Santa didn't get NW-Extra for me :(:D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning folks! Currently - 2.1c here, and the chooks refused to come out of their wee hut! Can't blame them really, I'm back in ma scratcher wi' the laptop! Highest temp here since before Christmas has been -0.2c, lowest has been -3.9. All will soon be a thing of the past. New Years Day looks interesting! ( Not )

• Like 1

Posted

Still a bit of a pea-souper out there. Apparently though the milder air will make progress in tonight so it would seem this is a very short, but sharp cold spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

No fog around here.  Just back from walking the dog down at Riverside in bright sunshine but still cold with car showing -2C. My weather station is reading -0.6C so I suspect it will nudge up a notch and we may miss an ice day. A couple of milder days coming up then cooler again by the weekend by the look of it. We are up in Crieff at the weekend so I hope that it is at least dry [unless of course it snows].

Posted

Frost and ice melting fast here. Those mild southwest winds must be making their way in already, but I guess that is no surprise since it warming up to the west of my location already - Stornoway, for example

Edited by Frozen Britain