Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Only thing not had last 24 hours is thunder although had more than enough during december I think I can let that one slide ;)

Posted

In Glasgow this afternoon. Pretty heavy wet snow on mate driving through. Not settling though.

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Yes, some big flakes for 30 seconds an hour ago. Temperature down from 5c at 9am to 3.6c currently.

Mainly just heavy rain/sleet with a gusty very cold wind.

Absolutely Baltic out there...

Although, the fact that I went out last night as well as NYE probably doesn't help ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Snowing here too, missed the earlier one, a real mix sleet, rain, interspersed with heavy fat snow flakes. Well done Euro 4 pretty bang on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Seemingly missed a mini blizzard here! Just woke up still poorly. Can't believe I missed it!

Posted

Ice warning out mentioning the more organised sleet and snow for high ground later. It's for North of the central belt but it mentions the band moving south with varying snow levels so we'll see later I guess :)

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted

Even had fluffy white snow falling here at sea level in Leith.

Good stuff! Still waiting on my first sighting of snow this winter. Having not seen any falling snow last winter either, it's been a while!

Dry here now after earlier showers. 3c on the nose.

Posted

A couple of photos from this morning of the stormy skies over the Firth.post-2744-0-36993800-1420207730_thumb.jppost-2744-0-13650500-1420207666_thumb.jp

Crocuses looking a bit battered.post-2744-0-76723000-1420207747_thumb.jp

Currently 2c and dryer snow in the passing showers.

• Like 4

Posted

A couple of snow/hail showers battered through earlier but heehaw now. Maybe catch somethin later although precip radar foe now looks all quiet on the Western front, at least for central West Scotland!

Edited by grifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Intense doesn't describe these showers - just got shot-blasted crossing the yard. Looks like they're lining up to deliver an afternoon barrage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Saw heavy snow falling and giving a covering in Meigle at lunchtime. Now over in Crieff. Some wintry showers but nothing lying at low levels here.

Posted

Snaw on and off all day, very cold in the wind. Got caught in a near white-out when oot with dog earlier. Nothing settling below 150m here.

Approaching snaw.

post-2849-0-66000700-1420221669_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Once you move here you're one of us and that's that :D

Temp down to 4.6ºC here by 5.30am after last night's brief flirtation with summer, it was a freakishly warm 13.7ºC when I got home at 8.30pm last night.

Edit: There's good snow potential today from the Euro4 00z. Radar on standby, lampposts may not be much use during the day.

attachicon.gif2nd Jan Euro4 00z +12hrs.gif

Not so good looking from the GFSP 00z:

attachicon.gif2nd Jan GFSP 00z +12hrs.png

Radar is speckled with showers so that's a good start.

Dewpoints and lower-upper air temps look ok for falling snow even to lower levels by lunchtime which is good, with the exception of anywhere south-west of a line from Glasgow to Gretna.

[

That is very reassuring to hear. Thank you.

Congratulations on the snow... Just see it falling is pretty exciting.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted

Wild night with driving rain

Ditto, wind really ramped up, temp up by a degree and what was sleety stuff is now just rain. I imagine another 100m up is getting a good pasting.

Posted

Ditto, wind really ramped up, temp up by a degree and what was sleety stuff is now just rain. I imagine another 100m up is getting a good pasting.

Maybe 200m up. Just torrential rain here too, it could have been an awesome snow storm as well!

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Another snowless day! Groundhog day. I suspect now that this winter is going to keep disappointing. Feel sorry for the kids who never get to sledge or have snowball fights.I don't think these marginal events will ever deliver.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' all! Well, wasn't yesterday a bit of a mini hoolie! Winds not so bad as expected but very raw when we went for a walk. Lovely morning here now, calm with clear skies, temp just below freezing. Friday the 9th is showing rather extreme windy weather up here with gusts of over 80mph. Not good, quite scary in fact. I would appreciate any views from those more expert on chart reading and the like. What's the chance of it downgrading, or, hopefully not, upgrading?

• Like 1

Mornin' all! Well, wasn't yesterday a bit of a mini hoolie! Winds not so bad as expected but very raw when we went for a walk. Lovely morning here now, calm with clear skies, temp just below freezing. Friday the 9th is showing rather extreme windy weather up here with gusts of over 80mph. Not good, quite scary in fact. I would appreciate any views from those more expert on chart reading and the like. What's the chance of it downgrading, or, hopefully not, upgrading?

Some models crumple you with high winds on the 9th, the latest UKMO 00z takes a different line:

post-2844-0-86760600-1420277051_thumb.gi

Anywhere could be hit by something spectacular in the next couple of weeks. Latest GFS shows the pattern changing deep in FI, hopefully this idea persists and we can get something far more wintry by mid-Jan onwards.