Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

80mph gusts closes the Forth road bridge completely

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be going anywhere near that bridge tonight/early tomorrow!

Posted

Breezy bright wintry morning here with wintry showers to the west and north. Currently 2.9c after 9c yesterday lunchtime with fresh snow lying down to a 1000 feet on the surrounding hills.

A bit of a bad luck with the cattle. A fully grown heifer broke her back leg in the fold the other day and had to be put to sleep. No insurance for this I am afraid so grumpy old farmer syndrome has returned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Blue skies here this morning at the moment and stayed a few degrees above freezing overnight. Calm before the storm sort of stuff. Glad we're out of the main firing line although it's still going to be pretty windy here from late tonight until Saturday night by the looks of it.

Wonder what impacts there'll be at the airport Friday am, some offshore delays

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be going anywhere near that bridge tonight/early tomorrow!

wonder what the train bridge criteria are?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wonder what impacts there'll be at the airport Friday am, some offshore delays

Yeah, even if they can get on and off the ground here I'm not sure I'd want to in one trying to land on a platform on the next couple of days. I live with the constant background noise of helicopters in my office so it might be a rare quiet day tomorrow (noise of the wind excepted).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Met Office warnings issued at 1013 - amber extended 

Forth-Clyde Valley looking rough 

A vigorous depression is expected to run rapidly east passing northern Scotland on Thursday night and Friday morning. Winds will begin to increase late on Thursday to give a period of very strong westerly winds through the Forth-Clyde valley, with gusts 60-70 mph quite widely, and isolated gusts to 80 mph. Winds should quickly ease from the west during the morning.

The public should be prepared for the potential for disruption to transport, and are advised to check latest forecasts before travelling. Power supplies may also be affected and there is the possibility of structural damage.

Bawbag Jr?

Central Belt is just like a wind tunnel when these systems fire through, perfectly illustrated on warn map.

post-7292-0-16182100-1420716213_thumb.jp

Edit - Snow and Ice warnings also rolling out just now.

post-7292-0-92429500-1420716358_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Very strong hints of Jan 1993 in the charts...

'93 first, then ECM +168hrs. Not as bad as '93 but not that far off it. The 1993 chart brought several inches of drifting snow to Glasgow, let alone the rest of the west of the country.

attachicon.gifJan 1993.gifattachicon.gif8th Jan ECM 00z +168hrs.gif

stop it CMD you are getting my hopes up....that was my first year in work and we got the day off..... snow in Dundee was literally above my knees and Dundee was cut off with the motorways closed....i recall there being no newspapers or milk at the local shop as no deliveries could get through..... i also remember walking my girlfriend over to my house early afternoon thinking wow looks a little snowy in that sky and the first flakes started late afternoon and continued for about 24 hours pretty much......that was in the dates before internet or me taking an interest in weather forecasts so was one of those brilliant surprise storms.....on the day off work we actually sledged into town and had lunch in front of a coal fire in Tally Ho's pub and i remember the thaw starting that late afternoon and being depressed at it. The thaw was so rapid i caused the great floods in Perth and indeed my work in Dundee was actually flooded resulting in me having to do a months worth of work again re inputting data as the back up tapes were destroyed and a months worth of work lost......was not quite so happy with the snow at that point :)

• Like 2

Posted

Central Belt is just like a wind tunnel when these systems fire through, perfectly illustrated on warn map.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Edit - Snow and Ice warnings also rolling out just now.

attachicon.gifSnow Ice warnings.JPG

It always snows when I'm not in the house, 2nd time this winter so I might as well just live at sea level! Haha.

Interesting week coming up anyway with plenty of interesting weather and some snow chances.

I think all trains are cancelled tomorrow. No announcement yet but the automatic timings are saying cancelled for mine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Already feeling very cold with the current windchill! Goodness knows what it'll be like later.

• Like 1

Posted

Just had a very heavy wet snow shower which ended up settling. Currently 0.5c . Cows raced in from their morning turnip feed in the field back to the warmth and fresh straw bed in the folds.

• Like 5

Posted

stop it CMD you are getting my hopes up....that was my first year in work and we got the day off..... snow in Dundee was literally above my knees and Dundee was cut off with the motorways closed....i recall there being no newspapers or milk at the local shop as no deliveries could get through..... i also remember walking my girlfriend over to my house early afternoon thinking wow looks a little snowy in that sky and the first flakes started late afternoon and continued for about 24 hours pretty much......that was in the dates before internet or me taking an interest in weather forecasts so was one of those brilliant surprise storms.....on the day off work we actually sledged into town and had lunch in front of a coal fire in Tally Ho's pub and i remember the thaw starting that late afternoon and being depressed at it. The thaw was so rapid i caused the great floods in Perth and indeed my work in Dundee was actually flooded resulting in me having to do a months worth of work again re inputting data as the back up tapes were destroyed and a months worth of work lost......was not quite so happy with the snow at that point :)

Yes, I can remember this well. The Tay bridge was closed due to wind and the main road to Perth was shut with snow, similarly the main road to Forfar, the coast road to Arbroath was just about clear.

I remember walking from my house to my Nan's, a distance of no more than 1/2 mile, a journey i knew by the back of my hand, and actually getting lost, as I couldn't see my hand in front of my face with the snow.

• Like 1

Posted

Another strong shower coming through. The head of the cloud before the shower erupted was a beauty

• Like 3

Posted

Interesting weather ahead thats for sure. Nice picture i just took there

Ah yes that what came through us. Looked a beauty of a cloud

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

The sleet and snow never materialised today! That was disappointing again. Even the Rannoch Moor is clear. So we have at least some interest of a sort with the wind tonight. Then Saturday looks like some snow potential. However given recent marginal failures. I am not expecting anything on Saturday snow wise. If it does snow it's a bonus and I will be delighted. :closedeyes:

• Like 2

Posted

The sleet and snow never materialised today! That was disappointing again. Even the Rannoch Moor is clear. So we have at least some interest of a sort with the wind tonight. Then Saturday looks like some snow potential. However given recent marginal failures. I am not expecting anything on Saturday snow wise. If it does snow it's a bonus and I will be delighted. :closedeyes:

Even if Saturday let's us down again I'm working away next week so it's bound to snow heavily at some point :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

We've had a few beefy sleety showers this morning, interspersed with some good sunny spells. Feeling raw at 3.3C/2C and the hills to the north of the village have a dusting of the white stuff again. Still pretty calm...for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Slightly blustery day here and feeling chilly - 2.9'C here with occasional showers of rain / sleet. Looking forward to the storm tonight, save the fact that it will possibly be a dangerous one for some. 

• Like 1

Posted

Just had a brief but quite intense shower with some huge flakes. Now the sun is out. It's fairly breezy already and feeling quite bitter in the face of the wind, weather station is reading 4c but feels much colder. Stay safe through this, everyone. 

• Like 1

Posted

Posted

Latest look from MODIS quick look satellite.

post-7292-0-33476900-1420730319_thumb.jp

• The image is credited to us "NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland" with a link to our home page http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

Also this subset may be worth a look later.

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?area=eu

• Like 2

Posted

Ha hahahahaha

Just remembered this 

• Like 9