Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Actually, some of the showers are diving under the Peak District and now seem to have a clear run into the East Midlands.

That for some of us (not necessarily me but we'll see) is really really good news! If they're coming in at that kind of angle then that's exactly what we want...no hills in the way!

Edit: They're even building up as they move inland. Admittedly not in great strides but it's there!

Do you think they will make it here or die out.

Posted

They wont make it much further than they are now imo. Would love to wrong though as its below 0 so every flake should settle. If anywer gets a covering it could last a few days

Posted

Gord...

Thats what my post above was trying to say. It seems to be coming much quicker than forecast.

As Dancer say the RADAR doesn't lie.

MIA

Indeed...but it's the angle they're coming in at that's making me more optimistic!

Do you think they will make it here or die out.

It's possible, we've seen it before (2nd Feb 2009 it came to us on a similar angle...much heavier showers and far more unstable flow of course!). However, I've seen them loose oomph and die between Nottingham and Tamworth before.

If anyone in Tamworth or Lichfield starts reporting snow in the next hour or two, then we can start looking out.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Guys in the East Mids

I think you will be OK tonight. If the first wave is bringing snow (and big flakes) keep us informed we are all delighted for you.

Aslo we hope it reaches us as well obviously, but its lovely to get unforecasted snow.

PS BBC/ MO are still saying it wont come until after 21:00 to the East coast. At least that is their BBC position!!

MIA

Edit

I am quite optimistic about the possibilities. There is moisture high above (clouds all day) and the air is now very cold aloft so it could bring about more than just a few flakes

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted

For us we need really a NE feed straight off the Wash - shortest route to the Sea. NNE in a slack flow and they do tend to die a death around Rutland/Stamford before they get here or light dregs before they completely fizzle. Wash streamers are rare. In the 15 years I've lived in Rushden can probably think of two genuine ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

A few light Snow flakes here in Matlock.....lets hope they get across to you in the West Midlands....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

For us we need really a NE feed straight off the Wash - shortest route to the Sea. NNE in a slack flow and they do tend to die a death around Rutland/Stamford before they get here or light dregs before they completely fizzle. Wash streamers are rare. In the 15 years I've lived in Rushden can probably think of two genuine ones.

Agreed, in my experience from living in Coventry snow bands coming from that direction in this type of situation tend not to get past Leicester bar the odd very light flurry.

Posted

Snowing and settling here now and as it is doing so the bbc weather are still banging the dry overnight in the midlands drum....lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Heavy snow shower here giving a dusting again!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Glad to see some of you guys getting some snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

This is good fun, even from afar! :) The showers aren't going to reach me on their current course, but it'd be good to see other Midlanders get some. (As we are already doing!)

Incidentally, the higher parts of the Clent Hills kept their lying snow all day today, with snow down to well under 300m asl, so I've technically seen lying snow today already!

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Just been out for alcoholic grape supplies.... 

Very lightly snowing, but what is falling is settling nicely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

:laugh: Forget all that, the RADAR is never wrong :wink:

that why ive taken on an annual subscription with Netweather tv......... the best on the market

All for the price of a a couple of pints a month

talking of which........looking good for the East....Our bit seems to be dying out :)

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Snowing and settling here now and as it is doing so the bbc weather are still banging the dry overnight in the midlands drum....lol

Always remember a set up to what it is now, and the BBC were saying there's a chance of a Snow shower but only in the East of our region.

All i do remember it was teatime on a Saturday in the early 90's, anyway it started snowing and 4hrs later, 3" deep and the BBC still were still

Piping on saying there's a chance of a light shower.

By the time they'd updated the TV forecast and that was 5 hrs later from the first flake falling here in Birmingham.......the Snowman was already built :rolleyes:  

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted

Well it was light and only lasted a few mins but left a dusting....lets hope for more and heavier thru the night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Starting to wonder if it will make it to me.......

Edited by Fozfoster

Posted

This bodes well for the East Midlands. Not so for us. Looking like the Peak District will get in our way.

Oh well. Enjoy it over there in the east!