Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winter/ hot summer

Walking up Ben Nevis in June many years ago I was shocked how much snow was still up there, allthough probably shouldn't have been. Looks like sleet here in the lofty heights of Warrington!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Heavy sleet, lots of flakes but definitely sleet.

i thought sleet was when it was rain and snow mixed together in one droplet so when it hits the window it splatters little bits of ice on it? i thought when snow flakes were falling amongst rain it was just called rain and snow? 

Posted

Hi,

Luke here again I am in Garston in Liverpool - just wondering what my chances of seeing snowfall this week are - I would like a few cm do you think we could get some once the colder air moves in from tomorrow onwards - when would our best chance be to see something interesting as it would be nice for us to get a snowfall that sticks around for a while - considering the outlook if we get more snow is it more likely to stick around this time? I can't see next week being completely dry/featureless with this unstable pattern I am sure something may pop up - as I want snow that sticks around and freezes at night! 

Luke

Posted

Conditions are very marginal at the moment for snow below around 200 metres, indeed we had a shower earlier of rain as temps climbed up to 2.4 degrees, it was light though. Current temp is 0.9 degrees. Tomorrow will see some colder uppers and dewpoints again increasing the likelihood of snow down to low levels - so some places could see a bit more snow from the showers later tomorrow. Thereafter Sunday and Monday look mostly dry, Tuesday could provide some fun and games especially to Pennine areas - no marginality neither.

The current cold spell isn't particularly special, we don't have a truly long draw arctic blast, the air is originating from North Scandinavia, hence the lack of real cold temperatures both day and night, 4 and 5 degree max is the average for this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Why'd you want any lying snow, or the thought of any lying snow in June is far beyond me.

Eh?

Posted

I can hear hail here just asking what do you think our chances of more snow for my area this week should it be more conductive for snow for us tomorrow.  BT, if you are around what do you think our chances for a decent amount of snow are over the next few days?

Luke

Posted

Conditions are very marginal at the moment for snow below around 200 metres, indeed we had a shower earlier of rain as temps climbed up to 2.4 degrees, it was light though. Current temp is 0.9 degrees. Tomorrow will see some colder uppers and dewpoints again increasing the likelihood of snow down to low levels - so some places could see a bit more snow from the showers later tomorrow. Thereafter Sunday and Monday look mostly dry, Tuesday could provide some fun and games especially to Pennine areas - no marginality neither.

The current cold spell isn't particularly special, we don't have a truly long draw arctic blast, the air is originating from North Scandinavia, hence the lack of real cold temperatures both day and night, 4 and 5 degree max is the average for this time of year.

Disagree with that a little bit, temps on average should probably be around 6-8C so a little bit below average for the most part.

The problem with this cold set up is that its not the most snowy set up you will ever see, mild sectors are being a right nuisence however saying that, quite a lot of locations have seen falling snow and a lot has seen decent accumulations and we still got next week to go yet. 

It be a lengthy period of cold but I think a lack of snow in general could mean it won't be the most memorable one. Cold nights could become a feature next week also as winds are forecast to become light as we head through the week, especially in your location I would of thought. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Agreed.

We do need a week or so of a decent Easterly.

Not intensely cold at all for sustainment. No imbedded low temps for prolonged snowfall retainment its all shower and thaw -  will be interested how the Gullies are holding condition on Great End (fabulous climb) East facing - no doubt there will be the usual Q.

Up in Windermere next weekend (near Ings visiting family) heres hoping.

Ian

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

no ppn falling although radar says otherwise

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I would personally love it (snow in June).

After the scorching heat, I can remember being desperate to jump into a snow drift.

After a heat wave it could be perfect or a covering on the back edge of an evening July thunderstorm.

;) ;)

No.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I don't know why anyone would ever want temps above freezing in any season TBH, anyway back to tonight, it looks like bed tonight as opposed to bed-lam last night, looking at models again now for the sign of the next belting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The West Midlands are getting a good pasting lucky beggars. all I've had so far is a bit of slush though it was nice to see the snow falling the other day.

That band tot he North is heading our way but will probably break up on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Woke up and yes SNOW on SNOW!, it's pouring down with the stuff and another 1cm is lying in areas where the snow had thawed.

I noticed this area of precipitation before going to bed over SE Scotland and it has grown as it's moved south, I suspect it started as rain/ sleet but it's proper snow now and heading your way.

Last time I had snow on snow was December 2010.

Andy

Posted

The West Midlands are getting a good pasting lucky beggars. all I've had so far is a bit of slush though it was nice to see the snow falling the other day.

That band tot he North is heading our way but will probably break up on the way.

lucky??? We hadn't been able to sustain a fall of 1cm+ Until now since 2013! About 2cm fell here and is already melting

Posted

Absolutely pishing it doon, pure rain.

Posted

lucky??? We hadn't been able to sustain a fall of 1cm+ Until now since 2013! About 2cm fell here and is already melting

I dont think anyone has apart from Scotland above 600M

Posted

The WRF NMM 2km and 0.05 have done well on this one, Met office showed no ppn for me tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

We've had mixture of hail and rain tonight

Posted

Showers moving back into the region from the NE.

There looks to be a streamer in the Irish Sea feeding across N Wales into the Midlands. Could this invigorate the PPN from the NE and vice versa and aid development in the region?

Shame temps are a little high at 3.5C DP 1.0C

Posted

Radar says I'm under the PPN but struggling to see anything falling. Definitely not snowing. Very fine drizzle perhaps?

**Edit - definitely rain 😒

Edited by Brass_Monkeys