Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted

I'm in the top of that triangle and can so far report......nothing

Probably only on the tops of the downs. Places like Hawkinge, Stelling Minnis and Hastingleigh.

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon

light snow/sleety mixture here now ,pants really !

Posted

BBC News 24 weather didn't really say anything just very vague, graphics was showing rain showers going down the Eastern coasts at that was it

The BBC 2240 local London forecast must go down as the worst short range TV forecast I have ever seen. Having seen the presenter say the odd place might see a "sleety mix", I gave in and went to bed. Imagine my surprise when I awoke this morning to 2cm and everything white – the Forest was Narnian this morning. So they didn't forecast the snow in this part of east London whatsoever, at just a few hours range. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

rain for me,really had enough of this 'cold' now,at least last winter had interest,yes it was rain,wind etc. but it was fascinating to watch these storms thunder through,this is drab,the only people loving it are the bosses of energy companies

Posted

And coastal areas will get rain and sleet.:-)

Strange warning when read in it's entirety. Reads rather contradictory to me. But chance of surprises, at least. What little snow we have had for my precise location over the past few days was not forecast, not even now-cast, so one lives in hope.

Posted

and another update for thursday too now

Yep Wed night Thurs into Friday looking good. Prefer it when MetO dont predict it / issue warnings as never seems to happen if they say it will :)

Posted

Sunny skies here now in Cambs. and the snow is melting fast. Temp. up to 2.9C now and looking at the radar, the showers out near the wash are very light and fading fast, so no prospects of further snow here today. Still, must not be greedy. ,

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Drizzle.... Well done bbc weather, don't give up the day job

Posted

The BBC 2240 local London forecast must go down as the worst short range TV forecast I have ever seen. Having seen the presenter say the odd place might see a "sleety mix", I gave in and went to bed. Imagine my surprise when I awoke this morning to 2cm and everything white – the Forest was Narnian this morning. So they didn't forecast the snow in this part of east London whatsoever, at just a few hours range. 

Yes definitely very poor. The presenters don't seem very knowledgeable either. You end up being more confused than ever about what the weather will be. But surely they are using the same data as the main BBC weather presenters?  I've always like Radio 5 live weather during the morning just before the half hour. It's always a BBC weather presenter, but they use up to date information regarding where the showers are at the moment etc. Much more informative

Posted

Yep Wed night Thurs into Friday looking good. Prefer it when MetO dont predict it / issue warnings as never seems to happen if they say it will :)

It might be better for the South East this time as the showers are unlikely to push as far west, as the wind will be N/E. But then again that was the thinking last night lol...

Posted

Yes definitely very poor. The presenters don't seem very knowledgeable either. You end up being more confused than ever about what the weather will be. But surely they are using the same data as the main BBC weather presenters?  I've always like Radio 5 live weather during the morning just before the half hour. It's always a BBC weather presenter, but they use up to date information regarding where the showers are at the moment etc. Much more informative

The girl who did the forecast last night didn't seem to have any data to work with whatsoever. That said, I remember the epic cold spells of 2010 and 2013 and Peter Cockcroft being even worse – laughably forecasting sleet only to see it dump inches of white stuff on suburban London. I suspect they may overdo the UHI effect outside Zone 2, it's quite weak, relatively, when you get out here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Yeah agree with bbc weather

Kirkwood is the worse

Always starts with

" this is what happened 4 hours ago on the satelite image"

Ok that's usefull what about the next 4 hours then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Rain shower incoming (NW radar shows it as rain anyway).  It'll be interesting to see whether it is rain or not!

Shower has now arrived, and it's a real wintry mix - ice pellets/graupel, sleet, a small amount of rain and a small amount of wet snow.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I have to be honest and say that this little snow event turned out better than I thought it was going to when I was looking at things around 11pm last night when we missed the main band as it moved across more SW.

As for the next few days we just need to wait till it kicks off in the North Sea and take it from there imo.

Posted

Kirkwood is the worse

Always starts with

I never watch the weather when she is presenting got my eyes on other things

Posted

Kirkwood is the worse

Always starts with

Ha ha – quite true. Carol is a nice lady but she very rarely forecasts any more than a few hours ahead, and she gives the impression of hating snow – no doubt she has had her fill of it growing up in Scotland!!!  :cold:  :cold:  :cold:

Posted

I have to be honest and say that this little snow event turned out better than I thought it was going to when I was looking at things around 11pm last night when we missed the main band as it moved across more SW.

As for the next few days we just need to wait till it kicks off in the North Sea and take it from there imo.

Agree on all counts. I have thrown in the towel last night only for that Norfolk streamer to deliver the goods to this part of east London in the small hours.  

That's right re: next week – ideally we get a direct nor'easter and a decent blob later in the week :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

I never watch the weather when she is presenting got my eyes on other things

ha ha

Fair point

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Even the BBC Weather App refused to add a single flake of snow this morning despite the obvious ones fluttering past the lamp posts as I headed to work at 6am

Posted

Got 5live on now. Not a sniff of a suggestion of snow into the South East later this eve or tomorrow, contrary to the possibilities highlighted in the latest MetO warnings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Can confirm its sunny and snowing.

Same here - very pretty (-:

Raintoday radar says rain tho, maybe it's our height above sea level

Thursday looks to be interesting according to the Euro4:

post-884-0-65958500-1422963095_thumb.gif

as for today.. those showers drifting in from the sea could/might liven up? .. wishful thinking me thinks :unsure2:

Edited by Pixel

Posted

Wet snow alternating with sleet here in Dover, way too wet from earlier rain for it to settle. I have not long returned from three months in the Australian sun so this weather, although not really cold, feels especially cold to me. I just wish this was a proper snow event and not this marginal stuff. We do seem to be getting a streamer going.

Edited by Updraft