Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

Why on earth is the weather lady on ITV being enthusiastic about warm, springlike conditions in February. Granted, I know most of the population don't like snow as much as we do, but I think most people would be excited for some proper snow at this time of the year.

TBH, I've seen nothing but cold rain and sleet this winter... I would rather see a warm up if I can't get a decent snowfall,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

What ever happened to the days when it used to be -1/-2 for 4-5 days with none of this marginal rubbish.

Is this all global warming and are those days finished.

I think it's actually a matter of high-latitude blocking.  Those notable winters in this part of the country (2010, 2012-13) were marked by blocking High pressure areas around Greenland, which we haven't really had this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Feeling freezing here today, colder than this morning. although the temp is warmer. Must be the wind. Temp 2.6 dp 1.1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

I don't own a weather station but having been stuck under a poorly, sleeping baby on the sofa for the last 1.5hrs and with no heating on, I can tell you that the temperature has definitely dropped here in Epsom, lol! I'm freezing!!! Loving the cuddles but desperately want a hot cuppa and to turn that heating up!!!

Gutted that we're finally gonna be getting an easterly but with not much ppn!!! Even the Express are calling it 'Beast from the East' - they sooo read NW Forums!!xx

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yep Meto still expecting the showers to be wrong side of marginal for the many populated during the first part of the next 36 hours of snow risk, thereafter and during Thursday no such problems even to lower levels which it even says in the text.

Yes, does look that way now unless you have height, pool of more marginal dew points/less surface dry air sinking down the N Sea and across E Anglia and the SE today - that's the problem when you have a high pressure system to the west rather than north - pools of less cold/more marginal air topple in from the Atlantic. Thursday it shouldn't be such a problem when the high builds east to the north and we drag in drier air from the continental cold pool.

Plenty of instability over the North Sea with the cold air, helped by moisture pouring down from the north around the high to the west, we may hang on to DPs at 0C to the south and west of London looking at recent surface obs, but N and E London 0-3C Dps this evening and overnight making a wintry mix falling form the sky. Through Thursday we should see drier air moving in at the surface from the E/NE, with DPs dropping 0c or below, but at the same time, precipitation signal perhaps weakening too. So, it's going to be luck over the 36hrs!

Edited by Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

No the Express rely on the amazing Mr Maddan, he is very clever as every October he predicts the worst winter ever is upon us!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers & Mild Winters

Met Office updated text is more encouraging ( Well for me personally anyway )

Snow mainly on hills with rain or sleet everywhere else

Hopefully get away without anything disruptive and looking at the charts fingers crossed that'll be it for this Winter 

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers & Mild Winters

Does anyone read the forecast on the Gritting Kent Facebook page.  I've found that to be pretty accurate during this cold spell.  I assume they get their info from the Met Office but on a more localised scale??

Posted

There's quite a hefty shower over Bury St Edmunds right now moving due south looking to be direct hit for north Kent. Whether it dies out or continues and peps up over the short distance of the estuary is another question

Posted

Does anyone read the forecast on the Gritting Kent Facebook page.  I've found that to be pretty accurate during this cold spell.  I assume they get their info from the Met Office but on a more localised scale??

Certainly do, and they basically post the forecast as they get it from the Meto, so a good source of info. Especially like it when the post there 10 day forecasts which are regional from the meto.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

3.2*c & DP 2*c

Feels

yeah..

Forecast for next 36hrs

Mainly dry this afternoon. The odd wintry shower may drift across on the north-easterly breeze later this afternoon or evening but nothing significant is expected. Another fairly cold night. Tomorrow morning, a risk of the odd wintry shower again. Showers may continue across Kent into the evening but it should turn dry further west.Snow summary:This afternoon/tonight: No significant accumulations are expected.Tomorrow: Up to 1-2cm possible in any heavier showers. However, most will struggle to settle.

Forecast for next 2 - 10 days

Tomorrow, Wintry showers are likely to continue into the evening. A chilly night with temperatures falling below zero in places. Friday will be mainly dry but there may still be the odd isolated wintry shower. Saturday and Sunday will be largely dry. Occasional showers on Sunday. High pressure will continue to dominate through next week, leading to a lot of dry and settled weather.

From @GrittingKent

Posted

I don't really see any meaningful activity until the eary hours of tomorrow morning say between 3am and 6am for the region. Albeit earlier further North. That said maybe a good sign that some of the activity already seen is quite lively. As others have alluded to, we will certainly need to get lucky with the temps and DP's lowering.

Edited by Hammer

Posted

Yes, does look that way now unless you have height, pool of more marginal dew points/less surface dry air sinking down the N Sea and across E Anglia and the SE today - that's the problem when you have a high pressure system to the west rather than north - pools of less cold/more marginal air topple in from the Atlantic. Thursday it shouldn't be such a problem when the high builds east to the north and we drag in drier air from the continental cold pool.

Plenty of instability over the North Sea with the cold air, helped by moisture pouring down from the north around the high to the west, we may hang on to DPs at 0C to the south and west of London looking at recent surface obs, but N and E London 0-3C Dps this evening and overnight making a wintry mix falling form the sky. Through Thursday we should see drier air moving in at the surface from the E/NE, with DPs dropping 0c or below, but at the same time, precipitation signal perhaps weakening too. So, it's going to be luck over the 36hrs!

Ah well not much more of this Ninter to go and then Spring will be here and we will both be out across those vast open plains with hot sultry breezes searching for Wedge Tornadoes and Baseball sized Hail again!

Please Time Machine me forward 2 months, Winter is so damn long in this country!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Didn't know it existed, have you got a link?

Posted

Ah well not much more of this Ninter to go and then Spring will be here and we will both be out across those vast open plains with hot sultry breezes searching for Wedge Tornadoes and Baseball sized Hail again!

Please Time Machine me forward 2 months, Winter is so damn long in this country!

you think winter's long? lol try living in the mountains in Canada...can turn any snow lover into a crazy person

Posted

Some Temps and Dews around our area to highlight what Nick was saying about a wedge of higher Dp's spreading southwards this evening.

Humberside is 3c / 1c

G Yarmouth is 5c / 3c

Webourne is 4c / 2c

Cambridge is 3c / 1c

Southend is 5c / 0c

Lon Cty is 5c / 0c

Manston is 3c / 1c

All minus Dewpoints are South and West of London at present

you think winter's long? lol try living in the mountains in Canada...can turn any snow lover into a crazy person

Oh I know, have numerous friends and Stormchaser Friends in those areas, they break out the BBQ's when it hits -10c in the Daytime - Pmsl