Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted

Philip Avery on the Radio 4 weather at 12.57pm seemed quite bullish about there being a chance of accumulations tomorrow as the snow showers move much more inland and become quite extensive. Sounded a really positive forecast. Didn't sound quite as positive about tonight though. We shall see.  These snow showers should last Thursday night into Friday one would think?

Posted

Yep Meto still expecting the showers to be wrong side of marginal for the many populated during the first part of the next 36 hours of snow risk, thereafter and during Thursday no such problems even to lower levels which it even says in the text.

So am expecting numerous rattles and dummies to be thrown out of prams later this evening as people start reporting Sneet and Slops, but fear not as we go through Thursday morning into the afternoon and evening things become much better with -10c uppers coming into East Anglia and SE England when it should be all snow, some places will luck out and others maybe just a dusting but at least we will have ended this cool spell with something before Mr Boring asserts himself from the W/K.

Posted

To me though Marie the text doesn't look to of changed in it :-/ ...I guess that's a positive though lol

A wintry mix of sleet and snow showers are likely to extend inland across parts of eastern, southeastern and central England on Wednesday night into Thursday. These are likely to lead to icy stretches on untreated surfaces. Snow accumulations of 1-3 cm are also possible in places, mainly above 150 m with perhaps 8 cm over the North York Moors. Due to the showery nature of the flow many places will probably miss the snow.

The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel.

This is an update to start earlier on Wednesday evening with road surface temperatures falling below freezing then as well as extending the northern boundary to fully cover the North York Moors

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1423094400&regionName=se

That to me sounds like they're expecting streamers to set up, for most of us that means we'll probably not see much overnight. Although the P Avery forecast for tomorrow sounds interesting for those who miss out tonight?

Posted

John Hammond's weather forecast on BBC didn't seem as good. Most of the showers tomorrow in Central England and not a lot covering the South East. Looks like it might be a repeat of Monday night?

BBC Local Weather - most place dry overnight, but one or two showers tomorrow, which might be wintry. Laugh out bloody loud!

I think this will all end in tears tbh. Definitely a big downgrade all round compared to yesterday's forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

That to me sounds like they're expecting streamers to set up, for most of us that means we'll probably not see much overnight. Although the P Avery forecast for tomorrow sounds interesting for those who miss out tonight?

If we see anything tonight (snow) I would take that as a massive bonus, I'm not expecting much till tomorrow but like you say with streamers who knows what tonight may bring.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

I agree with some of the others, this seems to be an almost carbon copy of Monday night, only the PPN slightly heavier probably lasting a while longer too.

It seems like there's 2 main ''bands'' of showers, one clipping the extreme SE and probably effecting anywhere in a line south and east of Canterbury Ashford, and Hastings. 

and another band effecting areas in a band effecting anywhere  North West of Bongnor, Crawley and Croydon, extending perhaps up to 100 miles north and west of these areas

with a band in between that is dry 

Edited by EML Network

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

"with a band in between that is dry "

That'll be me then......

Posted

Only time for a quick post -

If you take a look at the dew point forecasts, especially Euro4, then there is likely to be very little in the way of snow away from higher ground (perhaps as little as 100m may do the trick) or the very heaviest of any showers.

Generally during the next 24 hours they look to be in the region of 0-2c, higher of course towards the coast.

I'd expect this to be rather messy with some very localised sweet spots

SK

Edited by snowking

Posted

A good point, interestingly GFS has dew points more favourable. But agree EURO4 not so at all.

Only time for a quick post -

If you take a look at the dew point forecasts, especially Euro4, then there is likely to be very little in the way of snow away from higher ground (perhaps as little as 100m may do the trick) or the very heaviest of any showers.

Generally during the next 24 hours they look to be in the region of 0-2c, higher of course towards the coast.

I'd expect this to be rather messy with some very localised sweet spots

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot

We had managed to keep frozen hailstones on our driveway and garden all day, I had been keeping a close eye hopeful that if it does snow, it would be guaranteed to settle on nice frozen, still white ground.

Turned my attention to work for an hour and looked back out the window to see the wife sweeping it all away because (I quote) "it might get slippy".

Some profanity followed.  It's now wet but drying out.

This was possibly worse than a stranger disturbing virgin snow outside your house - how very dare they?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I see even the Daily Mirror have the South down for Heavy Snow today and tomorrow LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Why on earth is the weather lady on ITV being enthusiastic about warm, springlike conditions in February. Granted, I know most of the population don't like snow as much as we do, but I think most people would be excited for some proper snow at this time of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Temps starting to drop in Surrey

Temp 4.7

Dp 0.8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Dew point here has dropped like a stone

from + 1.3 to 0.0 in the space of one hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Yep Meto still expecting the showers to be wrong side of marginal for the many populated during the first part of the next 36 hours of snow risk, thereafter and during Thursday no such problems even to lower levels which it even says in the text.

So am expecting numerous rattles and dummies to be thrown out of prams later this evening as people start reporting Sneet and Slops, but fear not as we go through Thursday morning into the afternoon and evening things become much better with -10c uppers coming into East Anglia and SE England when it should be all snow, some places will luck out and others maybe just a dusting but at least we will have ended this cool spell with something before Mr Boring asserts himself from the W/K.

I'd like to think you were right, Paul.

Posted

Just had quite a heavy Rain shower. Temp was a balmy 5.3C when it arrived only dropping to 4.4C during the shower.

So the temps here have got to drop like a stone, and quickly later. Not very hopeful of snow here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Another day in which the Met's and the BBC's forecasts of 'showers becoming more wintry with time' have come to nothing.

Needles to say, I hold out no hope for tomorrow!

Edit: currently a balmy 5.5C...

Edited by Mrs Trellis

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

A sultry 5.1c here. DP 1.8  :nonono:

Edit: Temp 4.7c now, DP 1.7...

At least heading in the right direction.

Edited by SE Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Isnthatbsleet that has just entered nE London area?

I'll try that again-

Is that sleet that has just entered the NE London area?