Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

A small blob on the radar just went over our house :drinks:

post-884-0-95960100-1423004383_thumb.jpg

and landed on the car

Edited by Pixel

Posted

omg, wish I packed my shovel for the drive home from work at midnight.

attachicon.gifPRECIP2240.png

lol - I was impressed with the inch that fell around hounslow this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Blimey! hadn't even bothered looking out the window tonight. just peeked out now and there's a good dusting!!

Posted

I was in the last year of Primary School. Unfortunately the Primary School was a minutes walk away in a small town. So only a handful of kids, one teacher and the Janitor desperately trying to stop the pipes freezing. The other 80 percent of pupils and teachers never made it in for a full week. The bored single teacher told us to go round in groups on the playing field armed with sticks and tape measures to determine the depths of the snow drifts. Some were immeasurable to our small statutes, as high as 4 metres, but we made a good job of kicking them all in, so as not to be beaten.

We had the whole week off too. I'm not sure if this was the year the snowline on the radio was formed or 91 but loved waking up listening to the list of school closures.

What stuck in my mind was long after the event walking past mounds of piled snow on the pavement taller than me weeks after 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just to throw my ha'penny worth into the ring regarding an E.Kent/E.Sussex streamer

setting up.

Although the situation doesn't looks as hopeful as a couple of days ago, when the High

west of the UK was forecast to be 100/200 miles further north and perhaps a 3 day window

for snow showers into eastern and some southern parts of our region, I still feel the

window is still ajar, albeit for a shorter period. With Thursday pm perhaps the optimum

time-scale that warrants closer inspection.

Looking at some of the parameters, 850 uppers and wind flow at that time.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn422.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn4212.gif

By this time uppers of -10 are forecast to be just off the Kent coast and after losing the NE flow for around 36 hours, this is forecast to kick in again as we move into Thursday afternoon.

If these parameters are met, it is entirely feasible that a streamer could initiate on a

track similar to todays wintry showers, i.e North East Kent and south-westwards on towards the Hastings area perhaps?

But crucially, uppers of around -10 should make anything that falls less marginal than

today, i.e more of snow,with those areas with a bit of elevation, such as the eastern part of the N.Downs, east of a line from Canterbury to Ashford, possibly receiving a reasonable covering.

I've noted today reports of a heavy snow shower laying down a covering on The Ridge, north of Hastings.

Although I knew that snow showers on a NE flow managed to break through to the Hastings

area, I always believed that due to their land track over E.Kent and Hastings seemingly

sheltered location, they would be pretty feeble affairs once they arrived there, I now know differently.

I have many newspaper clippings of daily synoptic charts, from The Times and Daily

Telegraph, giving stats of temps and rainfall recorded, from some of our more notable snowevents and I was surprised to note how well Hastings fares in NE flows.One notable example of this was January 1987, when Hastings equivalent rainfall returns compared

very favourably with some more exposed locations such as Clacton, Southend, Sheerness, Manston,etc. Also worth noting that Hastings' rainfall recorder is situated on the seafront.

The enhanced snowfall returns are no doubt due to the topography of the area, with

elevations of around 450/500+ feet, to the N/NE of the town. Any snow showers that do

break through to the area on a NE flow, will be given lift and an extra punch when they

hit these elevations, 3/5 miles N/NE of the town. It would be no surprise to me that those returns,recorded on Hastings seafront in those snowy North-Easterlys, respectable as they are, would probably be conservative to what would've been recorded on The Ridge, Fairlight,etc.

Should a NE streamer set up, it will be interesting to see how that area N/NE of Hastings fares again.

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

How on earth is London being forecasted a high of 6C -

Even GFS is going for a 5C maxima am I missing something?

Seems to be all going Pete Tong Daniel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Wait I just looked outside and its snowing!! what, thats crazy.

Posted

Awesome! Thanks 

I found this

That forecast is a thing of utter beauty. And so marvellously understated too. -3 with a windchill of -14 really IS bitterly cold, unlike those BBC numpties who describe it thus at 7 Celsius and a nagging breeze.

Posted

87 was my first detailed memory of snow as I was 7 at the time. I still remember how cold it was with the windows freezing on the inside and the enormous icicles.

We all slept in the lounge as it was too cold upstairs as our heating packed up.

I'm not sure how much snow fell in Coulsdon but it felt like a huge amount. Might be wrong but think this was a time when I'd got to bed knowing the next morning I'd have more fresh snow to play in.

Was a great time. (Did it start snowing heavily on a Sunday morning or is that my memory playing tricks?)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Really coming down here massive flakes but its really wet snow.

Posted

Nothing showing on radar, its flippin' cold out though!

Actually just gone from nothing over North Sea to several little showers cropping up

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Just to throw my ha'penny worth into the ring regarding an E.Kent/E.Sussex streamersetting up.Although the situation doesn't looks as hopeful as a couple of days ago, when the Highwest of the UK was forecast to be 100/200 miles further north and perhaps a 3 day windowfor snow showers into eastern and some southern parts of our region, I still feel thewindow is still ajar, albeit for a shorter period. With Thursday pm perhaps the optimumtime-scale that warrants closer inspection.Looking at some of the parameters, 850 uppers and wind flow at that time.http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn422.gifhttp://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn4212.gifBy this time uppers of -10 are forecast to be just off the Kent coast and after losing theNE flow for around36 hours, this is forecast to kick in again as we move into Thursdayafternoon.If these parameters are met, it is entirely feasible that a streamer could initiate on atrack similar to todays wintry showers, i.e North East Kent and south-westwards on towardsthe Hastings area perhaps?But crucially, uppers of around -10 should make anything that falls less marginal thantoday, i.e more of snow,with those areas with a bit of elevation, such as the eastern partof the N.Downs, east of a line from Canterbury to Ashford, possibly receiving a reasonablecovering.I've noted today reports of a heavy snow shower laying down a covering on The Ridge, north of Hastings.Although I knew that snow showers on a NE flow managed to break through to the Hastingsarea, I always believed that due to their land track over E.Kent and Hastings seeminglysheltered location, they would be pretty feeble affairs once they arrived there, I now know differently.I have many newspaper clippings of daily synoptic charts, from The Times and DailyTelegraph, giving stats of temps and rainfall recorded, from some of our more notable snowevents and I was surprised to note how well Hastings fares in NE flows.One notable example of this was January 1987, when Hastings equivalent rainfall returns comparedvery favourably with some more exposed locations such as Clacton, Southend, Sheerness, Manston,etc. Also worth noting that Hastings' rainfall recorder is situated on the seafront.The enhanced snowfall returns are no doubt due to the topography of the area, withelevations of around 450/500+ feet, to the N/NE of the town. Any snow showers that dobreak through to the area on a NE flow, will be given lift and an extra punch when theyhit these elevations, 3/5 miles N/NE of the town. It would be no surprise to me that those returns,recorded on Hastings seafront in those snowy North-Easterlys, respectable as they are, would probably be conservative to what would've been recorded on The Ridge, Fairlight,etc.Should a NE streamer set up, it will be interesting to see how that area N/NE of Hastings fares again.Tom.

Having grown up in the Hastings area i confirm your investigations with some happy Northeaster snow event memorys. It would often be the case a few miles west in Bexhill would have nothing more than a dusting where as we would get several inches.

One correction,the hastings rainfall recorder is not on the seafront,it is in White rock Gardens,a little inland of the coast.

I spent several years collecting observations there for the Met office and they would appear in the broadsheets.

Edited by sunnijim

Posted

Wednesday and Thursday with Friday as the Big Deep Snow in 1987!

That was in response to Rubble79 post ^^^^^^^ above

Edited by Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Having grown up in the Hastings area i confirm your investigations with some happy Northeaster snow event memorys. It would often be the case a few miles west in Bexhill would have nothing more than a dusting where as we would get several inches.

One correction,the hastings rainfall recorder is not on the seafront,it is in White rock Gardens,a little inland of the coast.

I spent several years collecting observations there for the Met office and they would appear in the broadsheets.

Hi sj,

Yes, sorry I think it was on the seafront at one point but was moved. A few months ago I had the chance to attend a weather talk,given by Hastings Borough Meteorologist David Powell and a fascinating evening it was too.

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7

Posted

Well it seems a repeat of last night and today is going to occur.

From around 3am to 6am the snow showers should become more organised (see below). However a thaw is going to occur and any other showers during the day will be rain/sleet.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2015/02/03/basis18/ukuk/prec/15020406_0318.gif

Posted

Bit of a surprise to me. Thought it would quieten right down. Must be a wee bit of instability out there. Probably just light flurries due in

High above the wind has veered to a more favourable direction for Kent in particular.

post-19153-0-79737300-1423006104_thumb.j

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

Going to be hard pushed for a Frost tonight down this end of the Estuary - Tonnes of Cloud streaming in off the North Sea.

Temp : 1.3c

Dewp : -1c

Moon has his halo back just shining through the low clouds streaming from NE-SW

Posted

Well it seems a repeat of last night and today is going to occur.

From around 3am to 6am the snow showers should become more organised (see below). However a thaw is going to occur and any other showers during the day will be rain/sleet.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2015/02/03/basis18/ukuk/prec/15020406_0318.gif

Though this time parts of Kent may join in the fun, according to radar, some flurries incoming soon.

Posted

Going to be hard pushed for a Frost tonight down this end of the Estuary - Tonnes of Cloud streaming in off the North Sea.

Temp : 1.3c

Dewp : -1c

Moon has his halo back just shining through the low clouds streaming from NE-SW

Cloud can yield snow. :spiteful: