Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Plenty of time for that snow line to change track for Thursday afternoon.Minor adjustments is all that is needed for a south eastern hit.Radar watch!

Would that include se area please ?

Edited by snowfish1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Showers showing signs of moving south from Hull now. It looks like the showers will become more extensive as the day goes on and turn increasingly wintry. So all to play for

They seem to be disappating at quite a rate though as they try and move inland, hope you're right though as we would all have a bite at the cherry if they continue on their current track.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Let's just hope that like the snow showers that affected central southern England yesterday morning but were forecast further east- these ones in the north sea also come further inland to benefit more of us- my double jointed fingers and toes are well and truly crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Everything froze overnight here - must have been very difficult first thing.  Strangely, most of the showers overnight (at least according to NW radar) divided around Norwich so went either east or west of my location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I'm not expecting anything of note today tbh, tomorrow however is a different matter, we just need it to all come together at the right time with the right ingredients.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

I wouldn't take the GFS precip charts too literally, particularly in showery flows - some will get more than others - generally showers spreading inland later for all parts of our regional looking at the 06z UKMO.

Agree with Nick here, GooFuS is absolutely appalling at predicted snow and storm areas even at T24, As stated this time yesterday morning when Nick put up the Fax Charts, that Trough is still there for Thursday 12z moving from NE-SW So a more general area of "no" then showers looks likely oover the next 36 hours, all to play for.

Posted

Would that include se area please ?

It was just to say you cannot take the track for sure,50 miles south and could track London and Kent areas,or can do the opposite to the NW of our region.

Posted

Pinch of salt and all that but my meto forecast for tomorrow has changed since yesterday, slightly for the better because yesterday it switched to just a sleet shower...

Tomorrow: Light snow at 08:00am, then shows light rain showers early afternoon before turning back to light snow at 15:00

Now to me I can't see it being rain if it starts as snow as I'm forecast 2*c or 3*c in a NE'ly..DPs will be key yes.

I know it will be a case of the models and then radar and observations but it's still nice when everything shows the same.

Posted

I wouldn't take the GFS precip charts too literally, particularly in showery flows - some will get more than others - generally showers spreading inland later for all parts of our regional looking at the 06z UKMO.

Hi Nick.

I was just wondering if the 06Z UKMO is available to view as I cannot seem to find this model output?

Posted

Someone with a better weather brain than me can you explain this...

Looking at the Euro4 it looks like Northern France Calais for example will do we'll out of this, temps from -1 upto 2*c and that's on the coast HOWEVER what I notice is they are forecast snow from Thursday 04:00am till 13:00hrs, is this from the heavier precipitation that slips past the SE early Thursday? If so I'd be slightly worried that they are not expecting anything from the showers that hit us slightly later and continue South where as the precipitation prior to this gets stronger as it moves South down to them.

Can;t believe people actually follow the automated BBC forecast, go with the text every time.

To be fair the automated bbc forecast did ok for IMBY the last event and the one the other week, wasn't that far out and at present the symbols match the test.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Looking at METO invent, tomorrow between 3am and 9am seems the most active for the region as a whole. Certainly this suggests quite a similar theme to the other night with a western bias to how the showers move through region. But remember the other night this was only really obvious a few hours before, so it is a nowcast that trend could change.

Posted

(My gut feeling is telling me that we will get some longer spells of snow developing tomorrow and poss into Friday as the wind turns more easterly , this like I say is only a gut feeling as going back a good few years I can remember this type of set up and the forecast was similar to what is being forecast now and yet here in Kent them showers got longer and longer and then merged to give us some decent snowfall that went on even if it was only for a 24/48 hour period)

No doubt I will be completely wrong though..

Yes I agree, especially as on Thursday evening in to Friday we have the lowest 850s during this spell of -9/-10c. The wind speed is ok as well, which will help to bring any precipitation further inland.  The thickness does become a bit marginal as time goes on (526-533), but with those low 850s we just might get away with it. 

Edited by Mr Maunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

pretty sure there will be nothing to see out of this cold spell from mid Kent to the east coast apart from on a few of the highest locations, Temperatures are just not cold enough, & sea is to warm, I hope I am wrong :(

Posted

^^^^ So so Close to the perfect Set-Up for Southern England as well, If that Low was 250 miles further North West - Grrrrrrrr!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

06Z GFS continues to suggest snow for tomorrow especially in the N/W of this region.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs303.gif

That I don't understand, it's colder down this way and that is closer to the high pressure core...

Posted

well meto have removed our weather warning for today  :angry:

It was due to expire at 1100 :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Met office just updated today's weather warning after taking it down earlier , from 6pm tonight through to midnight

Posted

Met office just updated today's weather warning after taking it down earlier , from 6pm tonight through to midnight

To me though Marie the text doesn't look to of changed in it :-/ ...I guess that's a positive though lol

A wintry mix of sleet and snow showers are likely to extend inland across parts of eastern, southeastern and central England on Wednesday night into Thursday. These are likely to lead to icy stretches on untreated surfaces. Snow accumulations of 1-3 cm are also possible in places, mainly above 150 m with perhaps 8 cm over the North York Moors. Due to the showery nature of the flow many places will probably miss the snow.

The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel.

This is an update to start earlier on Wednesday evening with road surface temperatures falling below freezing then as well as extending the northern boundary to fully cover the North York Moors

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1423094400&regionName=se

Edited by Kent Blizzard