Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted

Roy I am sure you keep saying that and then post more than anyone. LOL

Early hours tomorrow 3am-6am is when I see the main PPN. Whether it is snow, can't be totally confident yet.

I think everyone has wasted a of their precious time. And this is due to the ridiculous weather warnings by Met Office. Monday night after all will appear to be where the snow peaked.  Today was meant to be a day of heavy snow showers for the South East. That got put back to tonight. And now that's been put back to never never land.  I think I'll take another night off. Just not worth it

Posted

Re. Nicks and Pauls comments above and the likelihood of a streamer setting up over eastern parts of Kent

in the following 24/36 hours.

Imo, initially as the flow gradually veers more towards the NNE, during this evening, we may start to see

showers clipping the E.Kent coast but only likely to be of a wintry mix, with dps and uppers not that cold yet.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1212.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn122.gif

As an area of -10 uppers start to move westward into the S.North Sea, late Thursday am, we are likely to

see an increase in shower activity, in that area, with these cells moving SW towards the Kent coast, in

streamer form, allied to a more definite flow from the NE, by that time.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn242.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2412.gif

As suggested above, with the arrival of those colder uppers in E.Kent, during the afternoon, conditions

should be less marginal, with showers falling as snow, even to lower levels, exception may still be the

windward coast of NE Kent.

During Thursday afternoon we may well see an E.Kent/eastern part of E.Sussex streamer initiate, taking a

similar track to yesterdays showery train but as stated above, those areas could be in for a more

interesting late afternoon/evening period, with settling snow in places, rather than just a wintry mix.

Tom.

It would be interesting Tom if there was any precipitation left. But judging by the latest BBC weather, tomorrow PM will turn out to be "fine and dry"

Roy I am sure you keep saying that and then post more than anyone. LOL

Early hours tomorrow 3am-6am is when I see the main PPN. Whether it is snow, can't be totally confident yet.

Yeah, you may be right there lol....

OK, I'll stay impartial, and just see what happens, thanks.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings®ionName=se&fcTime=1423094400

^^

“@metoffice: @Rebecca46338538 Hi, we are forecasting 1 - 3cm of snowfall across the southeast, more info here: http://bit.ly/1CZbKXb ^Alexâ€

Issued at:

1252 on Wed 4 Feb 2015

Valid from:

1800 on Wed 4 Feb 2015

Valid to:

2355 on Thu 5 Feb 2015

A wintry mix of sleet and snow showers are likely to extend inland across parts of eastern, southeastern and central England on Wednesday night into Thursday. These are likely to lead to icy stretches on untreated surfaces. Snow accumulations of 1-3 cm are also possible in places, mainly above 150 m with perhaps 8 cm over the North York Moors. Due to the showery nature of the flow many places will probably miss the snow.

The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel.

This is an update to start earlier on Wednesday evening with road surface temperatures falling below freezing then as well as extending the northern boundary to fully cover the North York Moors.

An increasingly cold northeasterly flow will affect eastern and central England. Troughs arriving from the east will bring a wintry mix of showers to many parts early on Thursday with rain and sleet around coasts, readily turning to snow inland. These may fall onto locally sub-zero surfaces, giving a risk of icy stretches. The showers should become largely confined to the southeast later on Thursday where they may continue into the early hours of Friday.

post-19153-0-94871400-1423069941_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I think everyone has wasted a of their precious time. And this is due to the ridiculous weather warnings by Met Office. Monday night after all will appear to be where the snow peaked.  Today was meant to be a day of heavy snow showers for the South East. That got put back to tonight. And now that's been put back to never never land.  I think I'll take another night off. Just not worth it

But the hunt and the hope is part of the fun surely, if we knew what was going to happen 100% it would be pretty boring and I reckon this place would be fairly empty lol

Posted

Very poor weather forecast just now on BBC News 24. Not many showers tonight, not expecting any problems with snow cover, only ice. Drying up in the South East tomorrow afternoon, then dry from there on in....temperatures now predicted as 5c for Friday in South East. 2c predicted on the weather this morning! So even and Easterly can't get the temperature down lol. 

Roy, you're like a prophet of doom sometimes! I jest. Who's to say the beeb is correct. At times the beeb have been bang on and others, like last Saturday morning, hopelessly wide of the mark. To be fair, I would say that generally they've called it mostly correct in a nowcast situation but this set up is one that is extremely sensitive to the most subtle of changes - what we can probably be sure of is no widespread snow across the region, but I'll hang my hat on a few favoured spots doing very well (and those favoured spots not being called in advance).  

Posted

Might I ask a question of Nick F, Paul and our other more experienced regional members, please?  At present, there is quite a bit of rain water/melted ice pellets on the ground.  Our local lunchtime forecast was as vague and useless as ever, but I'm wondering whether it's likely to freeze overnight leaving icy roads tomorrow morning.  Any thoughts?

Just off out to Colchester with the Little Un at Football Training freezng my Teits off for the next few hours so will have a look when I get back, think there might be too much cloud detritus from showers in the area for it too freeze that hard and also wind is picking up, but in any lengthy clear spells then obviously a chance!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Tom great to c u back its been a while. U were in the snow cup a few years ago

Hi and thank you Jimmy.

Ssh, that's been rightly consigned to Room 101.

Just a footnote to my streamer post above, one concern I have is pressure building from the NW and

suppressing any shower activity, so fingers crossed. What's really frustrating is that a couple of days

ago,that high to our west was forecast to be a couple of hundred miles further north, which would've meant

more of the SE likely to see some snow showers, as well as a longer window of opportunity. And if my Aunt

was my Uncle, blah, blah, blah....Anyway,its the dish we've been served, lets hope that some areas still

get to see some white stuff, over the next day or so.

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Just off out to Colchester with the Little Un at Football Training freezng my Teits off for the next few hours so will have a look when I get back, think there might be too much cloud detritus from showers in the area for it too freeze that hard and also wind is picking up, but in any lengthy clear spells then obviously a chance!

Cheers Paul.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Strange day here, no real sign of anything showery, just a lot of low level cloud. Apparently we just had a wintry shower. Didn't notice anything here myself.

Posted

We seen plenty of night frosts this winter but a lack of snow, had 3 mornings of a dusting of snow no more than that! Not expecting more than a dusting if we're lucky over the next day or 2! Ice days I don't see that happening for the remaining month of winter! Any substantial snow if we get any from now until early March won't last long! So hope next winter has more to offer snow wise! 2 poor winters in a row!

Posted

I remember the snow cup and the huge laughs it used to get shame room 101. I think the're was at one point over 60-80 people in it north south east and west but as we say time moves on...... Heating would be nice 5 days no boiler

Posted

Well im pleased to see my dewpoints have dropped to 0C. Im not expecting much until after midnight when a slight shift in the wind direction will bring the showers direct from the wash.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs1213.gif

Once the showers clear tomorrow im not expecting any more for the rest of the region though. Maybe just a short period for NE Kent until midnight tomorrow night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Blob going to hit me in about 10 mins what will it be ?

If it`s white it could well be bird poo....

Happened to me last time I was near London :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

well dont know if i can stay up late again, looking up at the sky and seeing nothing, but im going to try, normally after i go to bed it starts  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Not hopeful for anything tonight but it's looking better tomorrow, it's not showing up in the forecast though, not even as rain/sleet!

Temp 3.1

Dp 0.1

Posted

Latest Euro 4 suggests mainly rain tonight!

Looking at the predicted dewpoints/temps from that model they appear too high compared to what is currently being recorded. A case of just waiting to see what happens.