Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Temp 1.9 with a dp of -0.3.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

Serious question! The charts showing an easterly/ greenie high etc in FI never seem to materialise yet the ones showing mundane boring average temps always seem spot on. Why is this please? Sorry if it seems a silly question with an obvious answer but im still learning the basics! Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Serious question! The charts showing an easterly/ greenie high etc in FI never seem to materialise yet the ones showing mundane boring average temps always seem spot on. Why is this please? Sorry if it seems a silly question with an obvious answer but im still learning the basics! Thanks

laws of average lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

If it's going to happen it will be tomorrow night I think.

Early night for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Because that is our normal weather type during winter.

Posted

Hi well simply it is our default pattern with zonal the models have a good grip, and there's raised confidence when it comes to cold potential it all goes out the window as the models really do struggle when the pattern bucks the trend anything considered out of place, ie. snow is a real toughie. It does have to go pretty perfect to get cold in a British Isles there's many variables and these have to slot in place, unfortunately this year we've had 2/3 fleeting chances but it seems the polar vortex a large pocket of very cold air, has hindered any attempt at a block ensuing. Which is why we're having a largely positive NAO, meaning low pressure to the north & higher pressure to the south, this is not what you're looking for - Negative NAO vice versa, due to the big fat slug residing over Greenland. To have got the 'cold' spell was a miracle in itself. In terms of it sustaining. Block ensures frigid air sinks S, meanwhile this winter it all seems to have been bottled up in polar regions.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

Temp 1c, DP 0.9c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Radar looks pretty dead ATM but a more organised band of precipitation has just left the Norwegian Coast !!

Posted

Lightest of rain/sleet shower briefly whilst having a quick smoke and it appeared to freeze as soon as it hit the path. v slippy but as i say v light shower, without the security light would have barely seen it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Lightest of rain/sleet shower briefly whilst having a quick smoke and it appeared to freeze as soon as it hit the path. v slippy but as i say v light shower, without the security light would have barely seen it.

More ice rain, been a bit of that about recently.

Temp now 1.3 dp 0.7 dropping off nicely.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Temp 1.6 DP -2

Really clear skies here. The moon is shining bright and the Orion Belt is in view....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I don't get how uppers of -5/6 from the east , can only produce snow turning to rain as the morning progresses according the bbc news 24 iv just watched . Starts off as a good band of snow then a few hours later it's all rain ? Baffles me . No doubt yet another warm sector . But this year continues to be very very frustrating

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Getting up at 4.30am to drive to London for a meeting, should arrive about 10am and I expect to see some snow!

Going to Westminster and want to see Big Ben snow covered.

Don't disappoint me now lads.

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

I don't get how uppers of -5/6 from the east , can only produce snow turning to rain as the morning progresses according the bbc news 24 iv just watched . Starts off as a good band of snow then a few hours later it's all rain ? Baffles me . No doubt yet another warm sector . But this year continues to be very very frustrating

There have been more warm sectors this winter in the UK than in the Brazilian rain Forrest,

Drives me nuts.

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder, storms, frosts, summer heatwaves.

brack0.gif

Snow, sleet or rain that's the question?

THAT is interesting.  :D

Posted

It's like someone has thrown a stick to a dog and it's landed over your neck of the woods :rofl:

Posted

not strictly thread related

http://youtu.be/0fWhYJNZt08

Not for the faint hearted. Astonishing how there were survivors, aviation may be the safest way to travel but even till this day, I always get twitchy...the driver of the vehicle is reported to have had had a very lucky escape.

Meanwhile the weather report Cold & Dry.

Someone help me why does the trough? have 'shoots'. Streamer?

Posted

There have been more warm sectors this winter in the UK than in the Brazilian rain Forrest,

Drives me BRAZILIAN nuts.

Andy

You can tell the weather is quiet lol

Posted

not strictly thread related

http://youtu.be/0fWhYJNZt08

Not for the faint hearted. Astonishing how there were survivors, aviation may be the safest way to travel but even till this day, I always get twitchy...the driver of the vehicle is reported to have had had a very lucky escape.

Meanwhile the weather report Cold & Dry.

Someone help me why does the trough? have 'shoots'. Streamer?

convergence line , now that can create hours of fun for some :rofl: ..

Convergence line

A slow-moving trough, which is parallel to the isobars and tends to be persistent over many hours or days. They are quite common in cold northerly outbreaks down the Irish Sea, affecting west Wales, Devon and Cornwall in particular, but can be found in other areas also. This convergence line can give hours of persistent precipitation over very localised areas, whilst a few miles down the road it is relatively dry, leading to some heavy snowfall/rainfall. In summer the convergence lines are not as easy to forecast, but then can still occur due to sea-breeze convergence, and are over the land, whilst in winter they are over the sea

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/symbols

Edited by Kent Blizzard