Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Usually by now we would have Daniel*, Steve Murr and a few others getting excited, the lack of excitement here and elsewhere worries me slightly it has to be said.

Posted

Lengthy beefy hard shower just finishing here was nearly all rain, with a soupcon of sleet leaving everything wet. Sorry I've come over all Nigella for some reason! 

Posted

But the temp is 5c so it will be rain

temps decreasing as night comes and convective cooling, along with some altitude, you never know. Maybe at top of maidstone road past Bredhurst way and along to waldersalde woods and up to bluebell hill. I think north of the A2 might be too low

Edited by Nemesis

Posted

Ah well not much more of this Ninter to go and then Spring will be here and we will both be out across those vast open plains with hot sultry breezes searching for Wedge Tornadoes and Baseball sized Hail again!

Please Time Machine me forward 2 months, Winter is so damn long in this country!

You would say that! goes to quick for my liking once Christmas passes it just steams through. I wish we could extend the season, impossible until North Atlantic Drift comes to a standstill in the year 2100. :(

Posted

Lengthy beefy hard shower just finishing here was nearly all rain, with a soupcon of sleet leaving everything wet. Sorry I've come over all Nigella for some reason!

Hi welcome Dan, could you please give your location via settings > profile settings > location. :)

Posted

Kent, main activity (and no guarantee all snow) progged some 9-12 hours away as far as I can see. Not sure what is to get excited about at 4.30pm. Later this evening everyone will have a better idea how things might pan out because we will start to see how things are developing.

Usually by now we would have Daniel*, Steve Murr and a few others getting excited, the lack of excitement here and elsewhere worries me slightly it has to be said.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Well the MO have upgraded my sleet symbol to snow for tomorrow afternoon so that's something.

Really not expecting too much through tomorrow and Friday to be honest. Best case scenario will be to get a few decent showers overnight tomorrow/Friday with a slight covering that at least lasts a few hours before the inevitable melt.

Apparently March is looking cold on the long range forecasts though so still some hope left after this "bitterly cold spell" is over. We were that close in 2013 to getting a serious dumping until the Channel Islands nicked it all at the last minute! :wallbash:

Posted

It certainly is no classic but pretty decent injection of cold European air.

post-19153-0-55858700-1423068137_thumb.j

-10C 850s hitting Kent tip. Pressure does rise through the day but it does looks unstable.

Some sort of streamer may set up in preferred locations.

I think many will see snow showers before they start to dwindle as HP closes over this region.

Again I can not forecast where but further S and E you are the better IMO.

post-19153-0-12017500-1423068289_thumb.jpost-19153-0-75289100-1423068572_thumb.j

Posted

Dewpoints are the key for tonight. Not looking favourable at the moment. Next week looks to continue the cold. Warm regards it certainly ain't!

Posted

Here we go, the latest GFS model run is now showing snow for our region from early morning rush hour lasting a good few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

Just started raining here.  Temp is 3.1c and dew point is 1c

Posted

Yep Jason

Said the same yesterday, where the High goes nobody knows, surprises can and will crop up over the next few weeks, even now Goofus is showing quite a strong South Easterly gradient next week, who is to say a pertubation in the flow could not throw up some French Snow like we had a few years back on a raw south easterly, it certainly is not over by a long chalk!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Ah well not much more of this Ninter to go and then Spring will be here and we will both be out across those vast open plains with hot sultry breezes searching for Wedge Tornadoes and Baseball sized Hail again!

Please Time Machine me forward 2 months, Winter is so damn long in this country!

Yes to that, though sometimes winters still hanging on in late April or even early May across the high/northern plains.

As much as I love snow, sometimes when I'm working outdoors, like this afternoon, I do long for warm sultry breezes and storms ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Re. Nicks and Pauls comments above and the likelihood of a streamer setting up over eastern parts of Kent

in the following 24/36 hours.

Imo, initially as the flow gradually veers more towards the NNE, during this evening, we may start to see

showers clipping the E.Kent coast but only likely to be of a wintry mix, with dps and uppers not that cold yet.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1212.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn122.gif

As an area of -10 uppers start to move westward into the S.North Sea, late Thursday am, we are likely to

see an increase in shower activity, in that area, with these cells moving SW towards the Kent coast, in

streamer form, allied to a more definite flow from the NE, by that time.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn242.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2412.gif

As suggested above, with the arrival of those colder uppers in E.Kent, during the afternoon, conditions

should be less marginal, with showers falling as snow, even to lower levels, exception may still be the

windward coast of NE Kent.

During Thursday afternoon we may well see an E.Kent/eastern part of E.Sussex streamer initiate, taking a

similar track to yesterdays showery train but as stated above, those areas could be in for a more

interesting late afternoon/evening period, with settling snow in places, rather than just a wintry mix.

Tom.

Posted

Very poor weather forecast just now on BBC News 24. Not many showers tonight, not expecting any problems with snow cover, only ice. Drying up in the South East tomorrow afternoon, then dry from there on in....temperatures now predicted as 5c for Friday in South East. 2c predicted on the weather this morning! So even and Easterly can't get the temperature down lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Kent, main activity (and no guarantee all snow) progged some 9-12 hours away as far as I can see. Not sure what is to get excited about at 4.30pm. Later this evening everyone will have a better idea how things might pan out because we will start to see how things are developing.

Oh right, so have wasted my time on here the last 48hrs then ;)

BTW not meaning to sound pedantic but usually we have peoples snow charts appearing by now !!

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Might I ask a question of Nick F, Paul and our other more experienced regional members, please?  At present, there is quite a bit of rain water/melted ice pellets on the ground.  Our local lunchtime forecast was as vague and useless as ever, but I'm wondering whether it's likely to freeze overnight leaving icy roads tomorrow morning.  Any thoughts?

Posted

Oh right, so have wasted my time on here the last 48hrs then ;)

BTW not meaning to sound pedantic but usually we have peoples snow charts appearing by now !!

I think everyone has wasted a of their precious time. And this is due to the ridiculous weather warnings by Met Office. Monday night after all will appear to be where the snow peaked.  Today was meant to be a day of heavy snow showers for the South East. That got put back to tonight. And now that's been put back to never never land.  I think I'll take another night off. Just not worth it

Posted

Tom great to c u back its been a while. U were in the snow cup a few years ago

Ah I remember the SE Snow Cup, good times.