Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Not just me then, karlos!  Mine's stuck on 21.40.  It did something similar earlier in the day and then righted itself.

Same stuck on 9:40 Grrhhhh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Saw two flashes of lightning to the north-west of Exeter, with some thunder.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Now it's  on 21.45 and half the rain has disappeared!  Never mind, it's nearly bedtime, it'll be sorted by the morning. :)

In the time it's taken to post the above, it's righted itself to 22.30 and all the rain is back in place.  Yours OK now, karlos?

Edited by Lyn-M

Posted

Hmm GFS trend in low resolution has been to build Heights over Scandinavia and introduce an easterly. Popped up in the last few outputs. Do we really want this, that's the question .........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Hmm GFS trend in low resolution has been to build Heights over Scandinavia and introduce an easterly. Popped up in the last few outputs. Do we really want this, that's the question .........

Personally I don't mind it staying cold in March providing it's not wet, mediocre cold for colds sake where it's not quite cold enough for snow, coupled with plenty of rain is my least favourite kind of weather. From a working and nature point of view, I'd far rather it stay cold for longer rather than a warm up then turn cold again - that has the potential to really clobber a garden and play havoc with breeding birds and animals. Remember all those poor welsh sheep who died in the late snows last year or the year before, decimated some flocks, adults and lambs were hit.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

What will be, will be I guess. But, I fancy some stormy weather before true spring. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well the equal-best thunderstorm event of last year happened in September, so fingers crossed the best snow of the winter can happen sooner rather than later in March. 

Lovely sunny morning here with decaying anvil tops all over the place but very breezy after a very windy night. Not the best night to put out the recycling...

Posted

I shouldn't put too much store in this. Easterly has been the buzz word for weeks.

Posted

What will be, will be I guess. But, I fancy some stormy weather before true spring. :)

Same here, Mapantz I've got a nice shiny wind gauge that I'm gagging to use in anger!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Whether we want it or not is irrelevant and it will most likely not materialise anyhow I guess. I often find it odd how folk wish for something to happen or conversely wish for something not to happen. I tend to use the middle ground approach as this is usually what materialises in the end and I'm happy to go for middle ground solutions more often than not. Have I lost you lot now, with my gibberish, t'was supposed to make sense, at least to me when I typed it. :rofl:   :D

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Personally I don't mind it staying cold in March providing it's not wet, mediocre cold for colds sake where it's not quite cold enough for snow, coupled with plenty of rain is my least favourite kind of weather. From a working and nature point of view, I'd far rather it stay cold for longer rather than a warm up then turn cold again - that has the potential to really clobber a garden and play havoc with breeding birds and animals. Remember all those poor welsh sheep who died in the late snows last year or the year before, decimated some flocks, adults and lambs were hit.

Agreed, some normal seasonality is most welcomed by me and I suspect I am also speaking on behalf of the wildlife too.

can-stock-photo_csp21115251.jpg

Posted

Whether we want it or not is irrelevant and it will most likely not materialise anyhow I guess. I often find it odd how folk wish for something to happen or conversely wish for something not to happen. I tend to use the middle ground approach as this is usually what materialises in the end and I'm happy to go for middle ground solutions more often than not. Have I lost you lot now, with my gibberish, t'was supposed to make sense, at least to me when I typed it. :rofl:   :D

Whether we want it or not is not irrelevant imo,we just don't always get what we want :nonono:  whether it materialises on the other hand is out of our control. BUT if it shows on the models then there is a chance of it coming to fruition or we wouldn't bother looking.

Posted

Very gusty WNW wind this afternoon with some fleeting showers blowing through and plenty of bright sunshine.

Yesterday was very active shower wise in this area with heavy wet snow, sleet, rain and hail from all manner of CBs which made for a great sky watching day.

It's certainly going to be a shock to be experiencing balmy air for about 24 hours, should the sun break through in the warm sector tomorrow afternoon it will feel Springlike.

Posted

Whether we want it or not is not irrelevant imo,we just don't always get what we want :nonono:  whether it materialises on the other hand is out of our control. BUT if it shows on the models then there is a chance of it coming to fruition or we wouldn't bother looking.

Yes, re: you latter comment the thrill of the chase is key, but so often what we chase/want we never get or receive in our own patch, so that's why I suggest it is often irrelevant. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very blustery night last night and continuing today, so much so that it's just been spitting from blue sky, though I can see the responsible cloud to the northwest. It would be good to have a stormy period in early March, I always think of early March as an unsettled period from my youth with a general settling trend throughout the month.

Posted

As the sun sets the Cb, Cu have given way to a veil of Cs, indications of which can be seen on the 12z sounding, and the wind has dropped to very light.

post-12275-0-98950400-1424798539_thumb.g

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, freezing rain, hail, thunderstorms!

I don't believe it, I'm on my way to Helsinki and the forecast is for rain and 2 Or 3c!!

I thought that being that far north and east, snow and freezing would be guaranteed

Talking to my Finnish friends,they have had a milder winter this year, must have known I was coming - BL**dy typical! Aaaaargggh....

Edited by Charlton Adam snow

Posted

Had some wet snow yesterday :yahoo:

Also had sleet, rain and some nice sunny spells in between during the day. Also saw a flash of lightning in the evening, didn't hear any thunder though.

So that makes it two days with falling snow (approximately 10 minutes worth) for this winter, with none of it lying. Still; that's 10 minutes more falling snow than last winter :laugh:

Edited by dec10snow

Posted

Charlton Adam Snow

It was +1 when we landed in Helsinki in Jan but we had temps of -30 right up North in Lapland, so you just need to go North from Helsinki, loads of lovely snow :-)

Edited by sherrie
  • Like 1

Posted

Sympathy to the family who's house was hit by lightning last night,with the seriousness of that put to one side I did have to laugh at a article on the Bristol evening post site which has the headline...Did you see or hear the massive thunderstorm in Bristol last night. Ummm what massive storm coz there definitely wasn't one in Bristol UK.

• Like 1