Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Samsung S5 mini - and, as you can see,i can't work out how to flip the photo :cc_confused:

Lot's of people have rotation issues when uploading pictures to websites. The iPhone will usually upload it upside down, it doesn't store orientation information when taking an image, so it makes shot-to-shot times faster, but it also causes problems. Apple think they do it the 'correct' way. However, Apple fans think differently on forums. lol

Did you take the image in portrait or landscape? It looks like portrait mode but it hasn't stored any orientation information (like Apple)

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

7.9°C and sunny here. Cold wind though.

An cracking temperature drop after that hail shower early this morning..

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

I don't know if you can seee this pic or not? I can see the moonbow on my phone- it's bad quality because i had to take the pic fast, as it was fading, so i had no time to to adjust the iso or shutter speed on my phone..

attachicon.gifWP_20150303_02_16_49_Pro.jpg

It looked awesome as it headed towards Poole & Bournemouth..

attachicon.gifWP_20150303_02_23_03_Pro.jpg

Awesome couple of photo's Mapantz! Especially the second, is that being lit up by lightning?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Showers seem to be a bit sleety with some snowflakes here in Penryn at the moment.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Great pics, Mapantz and I can see the moonbow.

A very short lived hail shower here about five minutes ago, barely lasted a minute.

post-8165-0-12263400-1425383274_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not really, few dribs and drabs on grass but not much today :closedeyes:

Oh :( Bit of a let down then. The hunt continues. The latest I've had lying snow here is April 14th so I'll hold out a remote hope until then though it looks like this upcoming high could linger like a bad smell.

Posted

Awesome couple of photo's Mapantz! Especially the second, is that being lit up by lightning?

Thje orange is the main road street lights, the white is the moonlight. :)

Posted

Lot's of people have rotation issues when uploading pictures to websites. The iPhone will usually upload it upside down, it doesn't store orientation information when taking an image, so it makes shot-to-shot times faster, but it also causes problems. Apple think they do it the 'correct' way. However, Apple fans think differently on forums. lol

Did you take the image in portrait or landscape? It looks like portrait mode but it hasn't stored any orientation information (like Apple)

Portrait

Posted

The radar being down this morning wasn't good for my sanity as I had to use old fashioned 'get out there and work' even though I didn't know what was happening! Thankfully the showers that were around cleared soon after 07.00 to a fine day so far!

Posted

The radar being down this morning wasn't good for my sanity as I had to use old fashioned 'get out there and work' even though I didn't know what was happening! Thankfully the showers that were around cleared soon after 07.00 to a fine day so far!

Phew (Wipes forehead in relief)

Sunny down here, with only the smallest of passing showers..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

grauple/snow shower here

• Like 1

Posted

Hail here at the moment.

Any thoughts on cloud cover this weekend? Jo mentions the moisture content in the SW airflow.

Here's hoping we get some breaks, as it makes such a difference to a weekend in the garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Saw a couple of sharp hail showers while I was eating lunch.

Posted

Two hail showers have rattled through here with sunshine in between and rainbows after both which is nice. I love this weather - some brilliant cloudscapes too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Looking like a beaut of a day today, chilly start and nothing exceptionally mild expected. Looking warmer as the week progresses but might have to dodge the cloud and some drizzly bits in order to reach the low to mid teens Celsius expected in some parts. How long will it be before Winter bites back?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Looking like a beaut of a day today, chilly start and nothing exceptionally mild expected. Looking warmer as the week progresses but might have to dodge the cloud and some drizzly bits in order to reach the low to mid teens Celsius expected in some parts. How long will it be before Winter bites back?

I'd love to see an April snowstorm like we have had before followed by high teens the next day. Something magic about walking around the snow covered fields in a t shirt  :D

frosty start this morning but glorious outside 

June is the latest I have seen snow on Mendip although generally I think end of April start of May is last chance saloon normally.

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted

I'd love to see an April snowstorm like we have had before followed by high teens the next day. Something magic about walking around the snow covered fields in a t shirt  :D

frosty start this morning but glorious outside 

June is the latest I have seen snow on Mendip although generally I think end of April start of May is last chance saloon normally.

Surely the snow would be gone like a flash if high teens were to happen the next day haha? Also, which June did you see snow on the Mendips. Don't think it's happened in my lifetime (since 1992).

Posted

Surely the snow would be gone like a flash if high teens were to happen the next day haha? Also, which June did you see snow on the Mendips. Don't think it's happened in my lifetime (since 1992).

2001 we had 11 inches and 8 foot snowdrifts they last quite well regardless of high temperatures...

June -  I cant remember the year but I have seen snow falling didn't really settle though.

Aprils snow lying average - Interestingly I average more than the somerset levels do in January :rofl: 

post-8911-0-84915600-1425464904_thumb.gi 

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Surely the snow would be gone like a flash if high teens were to happen the next day haha?

Shush, if it keeps the old man young lad happy then let him have everything. :D  My mind starts leaving snow thoughts behind post Spring Equinox but that is not to say it can't happen after that and in fact, even settle on the ground for a few hours. Some June mornings in recent years have been darn cold ones on my walks for sure, but snow then for my patch would be a minor miracle and I for one wouldn't wish for it at that stage either.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

2001 we had 11 inches and 8 foot snowdrifts they last quite well regardless of high temperatures...

Oh right, was that the 20th-21st March event by any chance? I certainly remember that snowfall. I was at school in Wraxall at the time but the snow began melting overnight into the 21st at low levels and had all gone by midday.

Edit: interesting stuff. Maybe this spring will have some wintry surprises (I jolly hope so - don't think I could take an anticyclonic borefest like 2011 or 2012!)  :nonono:

Edited by MP-R
  • Like 1

Posted

Oh right, was that the 20th-21st March event by any chance? I certainly remember that snowfall. I was at school in Wraxall at the time but the snow began melting overnight into the 21st at low levels and had all gone by midday.

Which was the June the Mendips got snow? 

april 4th 2001 I think was the huge fall followed by warm weather.  June I cant remember I'll have to look it up later.

Posted

april 4th 2001 I think was the huge fall followed by warm weather.  June I cant remember I'll have to look it up later.

Could be 2000 you're thinking of:

archives-2000-4-4-12-0.png archives-2000-4-7-12-0.png

Quite the change over a few days. April 2008 certainly did that the other way around with 19C on the 03rd to only 5C on the 06th.

Posted

Sunny and 8.9°C

I'm starting to think that the GFS is well overcooking the warmer temperatures. This weekend doesn't look anything special-  11 or 12°C  which i've exceeded many times already. 

The GFS is showing  15 and 16°C next week. I just cannot see it? 

T850's peak at the weekend before lowering again. With cloud amounts likely to surpress sunshine, i think people are getting a bit carried away with it all?!

post-15177-0-84762800-1425470157_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

To me it seems downgrades to this settled spell (which has only started today!) are already occurring with a Cold Front due to head in from the West on Sunday. I can only see that as positive if it clears through by Monday morning and introduces clearer air than will be present for the few days beforehand.

Posted

To me it seems downgrades to this settled spell (which has only started today!) are already occurring with a Cold Front due to head in from the West on Sunday. I can only see that as positive if it clears through by Monday morning and introduces clearer air than will be present for the few days beforehand.

Yest the 12z GFS has the front fizzling out but more wet weather on the Tuesday. Looking further ahead at the 06z GEFS ten day anomaly it has the HP to the NE (the pattern seems to be MJO driven at the moment) leaving the surface high to the east with the UK in a weak SE flow which wouldn't be too bad. Of course whether this allows any significant Atlantic incursion is dependent on the position and strength of the HP and the orientation of the Atlantic trough.

Chart courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-48277900-1425490518_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1