Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted

I must admit that (from an outdoor work point of view) I was somewhat concerned at how much rain there would be this week from the series of fronts when original forecasts highlighted high pressure. However my fears have been unfounded seeing as Monday's fronts brought less than 1mm and today's so far nothing at all with it dying out rapidly this afternoon.

Therefore I'll be confident that tomorrow's front will do likewise but do admit to wondering if Friday could bring a very wet day once the front arrives, stalls and retreats. Although there must be a chance that it won't even make it this far East before retreating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I must admit that (from an outdoor work point of view) I was somewhat concerned at how much rain there would be this week from the series of fronts when original forecasts highlighted high pressure. However my fears have been unfounded seeing as Monday's fronts brought less than 1mm and today's so far nothing at all with it dying out rapidly this afternoon.

Therefore I'll be confident that tomorrow's front will do likewise but do admit to wondering if Friday could bring a very wet day once the front arrives, stalls and retreats. Although there must be a chance that it won't even make it this far East before retreating.

They have made a complete pigs ear of the forecasts since Saturday. On three occasions since the weekend, rain has been forecast, and not a single drop has fallen.

Three times wrong, in four days is taking the pee!

This was the updated forecast at 13:40

post-15177-0-65943500-1426090288_thumb.p

"Rain heavier for a time"

post-15177-0-73933600-1426090352_thumb.p

That's pretty bad, considering it was updated this afternoon..

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Not a drop here either, a slight dampness around 13.00, but not enough to show on the ground.  Miserable grey day though.

Posted

I did count 50 drops on my windscreen so I cannot say "Not a drop has fallen", but it does kinda like suggest the general forecasting is poor as it faded completely in the south, possibly being squeezed dry by the higher pressure?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A chance of something wintry tomorrow for the high ground in BANES/wilts/glous. The NMM model certainly seems to think so

Posted

After a midday high of 11.4°C it now dropped back to 10.3°C and is overcast.

12°C  but still some sunshine sneaking through the milky skies here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

noisy across salisbury plain the past few days, lot's of live firing....sounds like distant thunder here from 30 miles away!

Posted

So what's going to happen with these incoming fronts then? I must wonder if it will even make it this far East. There's 2 bands and the first of them has practically died right out this afternoon while the 2nd is still quite a way to the West.

noisy across salisbury plain the past few days, lot's of live firing....sounds like distant thunder here from 30 miles away!

There's a huge exercise ongoing AJ, the biggest for ages, thousands of troops in the Warminster/Tidworth/Bulford areas of the Plain. I agree, It was like a hot hazy summer day with distant thunder this morning due to the firing and the milky sunny sky.

Posted

Forecast just before 16.00 on BBC news channel indicated that the second front is likely to get stuck right over us from later on this evening and for much of tomorrow...we'll see.  :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Snowing as I left this morning!? Didn't expect that. Not laying though and very wet.

Posted

LOL NK it's a kick in the teeth isn't it! Did we have a stalling and retreating front all winter with undercutting cold Easterly air?

At 4.1c and dropping now after some heavy rain, that after yesterday's 13c and hazy sunshine, just makes you wonder what might have been a few months ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

LOL NK it's a kick in the teeth isn't it! Did we have a stalling and retreating front all winter with undercutting cold Easterly air?

At 4.1c and dropping now after some heavy rain, that after yesterday's 13c and hazy sunshine, just makes you wonder what might have been a few months ago.

Yeah funny isn't it how stalling fronts only occur in these parts when its rain :(

Posted

Yet another abysmal forecast yesterday. Rain all day according to the forecasts, in the end, 6.2mm falling from between 6:30am and 9:30am

Every rain forecast has been wrong this week, shocking!

6.6°C and cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A nasty day indeed, if only it were January. 03.9C with quite a bit of rain in the guage - quite a change from 14C and sunshine in London yesterday.

Posted

Interesting to see how strong the easterly effect on the rain bearing area has been, how it slowly moved east, to be kicked back quite briskly westwards. Now up to 6C.

Posted

11mm here to 09.00 and more since, but I've not ventured out to check how much yet.  It only stopped raining here about half an hour ago and still feeling chilly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

freezing cold today. 1c when I left home and only about 3.5c here at work.

Posted

Somewhat cheerless day, breeze would bite just to remind it's still March, with the sun just peeping through on the one occasion for 30seconds, that was Saturdays' weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Several bright periods with some sun but equally some grey murky moments too, a true early spring day in that respect.