Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted

So grateful to the mist lifting into low cloud (with Altocumulus above it) to allow amazing viewing of the eclipse. The temperature has dropped from 7.1c to 6.4c in the last 10 minutes which is the exact opposite to what you would expect at this time on a morning of clearing sky. With the still extensive low cloud there is an eerie light effect when looking into the distance.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

And the cloud clears just after the peak of the partial eclipse!!!!!  Although can't complain as we did have glimpses of it though the misty cloud in the sky so not as  bad as some just not as good....I actually thought it would be alot darker than it was to be honest.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Funnily enough I've just had a conversation with my next door neighbour about otters. He's got a large pond, it was stocked with sizable koi, 26 of them apparently, now they're all gone - into the belly of an otter. I was sceptical at first, reckoning the local heron was more likely to be the demon eater but he swears he saw the otter. My response of 'you jammy begger, how lucky are you' didn't go down too well.... I've never seen one, hopefully one day I'll be as lucky as you and my neighbour.

Jethro, you'll see one soon enough I suspect. Try early mornings after torrential downpours so the rivers are up.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

4.4c and total cloud before eclipse, 4.2c and during but darker and gloomier during the eclipse, now back up to 4.4c. An interesting day whatever and according to my father, a tiny Thrush-like bird was witnessed in the garden, so all I can think is that is was perhaps, a passage Meadow Pipit, as I saw several yesterday on the local downs. Any other reports of strange birds in odd places I wonder?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Excellent viewing conditions of the eclipse here with clear blue skies. Light levels did dim quite a bit akin near the peak akin to about mid dusk. :)

Posted

4.4c and total cloud before eclipse, 4.2c and during but darker and gloomier during the eclipse, now back up to 4.4c. An interesting day whatever and according to my father, a tiny Thrush-like bird was witnessed in the garden, so all I can think is that is was perhaps, a passage Meadow Pipit, as I saw several yesterday on the local downs. Any other reports of strange birds in odd places I wonder?

I once saw Floella Benjamin at the Eden Project, does that count?

Checking Sat24.com, it looks like the clear skies are going to be 2 or 3 hours late down here... Nevermind.

Posted

I once saw Floella Benjamin at the Eden Project, does that count?

I asked for that and did think about rewording it.  :fool:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Misty cloudy morning with breaks at eclipse time. Out came the coloured cellophane an d viewed it  red, blue and yellow.   12.0c. Still sunny .Some haze at times,..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Jethro, you'll see one soon enough I suspect. Try early mornings after torrential downpours so the rivers are up.

Thanks for the tip. I'm sorely tempted to dig a pond and stock it just to see if I can entice the otter back again. Trouble is when we had a pond before it was always full of ducks escaping from the local shoot at the farm down the road. It was quite nice to have a garden full of ducks but I've got two working stock spaniels, it drove them insane - akin to putting a chocoholic in a thorntons factory and saying 'you can look but not touch'.

Very cloudy here this morning but did manage a glimpse of the eclipse in a break in the clouds. Turned into an amazingly sunny spring day :D Proper t-shirt weather, heavenly to work in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Had about a dozen or so of something odd in the garden trees last week. Too far away to see what they were, bit smaller than a blackbird, brownish with a lighter coloured chest, white flashing on the wing undersides with short, stubby-ish tails. Any ideas? Haven't seen them since so presumably passing through?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It was blue skies, which meant the temp went up to 11.4C

A thin veil of cloud has come over but it remains bright- windy too. Currently 10.7C

Posted

Had about a dozen or so of something odd in the garden trees last week. Too far away to see what they were, bit smaller than a blackbird, brownish with a lighter coloured chest, white flashing on the wing undersides with short, stubby-ish tails. Any ideas? Haven't seen them since so presumably passing through?

Might have been Meadow Pipits too, they are kind of speckled on the breast but along with the Skylark, they will show white panels in the tail, although not on the wing exactly. Overall, difficult to know but this time of year anything can and does turn up, so keep eyes peeled.

Posted

Morning all, so begins another week, with 0.9°C overnight low, and at present overcast, with little or no breeze.

Presently 4.1°C, with RH 81%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Started off overcast, cloud has thinned, and now the sunshine is breaking through. 9.5°C at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Cloudy. 8.1c. Breeze 11km/h W.S.W.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Monday seems to be the token wet day since mid Feb, the last dry one was Feb 09th. Cloudy all day here and feeling chilly despite the high of 09.7C with rain setting in around 5pm and lasting until 8pm, leaving 02.8mm. 

I'm looking forward to some convective skies tomorrow.

Posted

After so very light overnight rainfall, and a low @06:40 this morning of 2.6°C the temperature is now  5.0°C.

Looking today towards some April showers in March, maybe!

Posted

After 1.6mm last evening, we finally had some rain at home and although I've been enjoying the dry days and sunshine of late, I am looking forward to the probability of an overhead convective shower or two. The radar currently lacks much action aside from a few scattered showers out West but everything but the kitchen sink may well be on its way by afternoon, here's hoping.  :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather