Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Yep nice n awake now by the sound of wind.. I think it was a strong gust about 20 mins ago which did it. Either that woke me or my back pain. Grrhh. Seem to be a couple of noises outside as bins or slates go ( please not mine) but nothing really too much on the scale of last years Valentine gale..

I am though very pleased with myself that I didn't but the recycling box and bag fully out- green wheely yes but that is loaded full -so hopefully won't topple.

Edit- ooh just heard a bin go..

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted

I'm sure I remember from watching the weather forecast last night they had rain forecast through the night in our area. It's as dry as a bone, with no measured rainfall. That's not very good for forecasting, same as yesterday rain & a fairly drab day expected, nowt. 

Edit: A quick check from the overnight accumulations show we are in the 0 rainfall patch for the last 12 hours.

Oh well the forecasting for the wind was correct, and yes we do have wind (not literally), with a steady 27mph gusting 43mph out over the harbour. Dustbins blown over this morning.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Cloudy with near total cover of Ci. Temp 9.3C and wind WNW 26mph gusting 50.

Regarding Easter it looks like get Friday out of the way (and even that might not be too bad in these parts) and HP then taking over and it may, repeat may, get quite warm beginning of next week. Rather depends on the orientation of the HP.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/abentley/realtime/atlantic.php

post-12275-0-55126700-1427784001_thumb.g

post-12275-0-11424500-1427784011_thumb.g

post-12275-0-93597100-1427784022_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

What a grim night! The pile of dead fence panels neatly stacked flat on the ground, ready for the bonfire, are now scattered around the garden having been lifted up and flung around by the wind. Now have a dead greenhouse too, wiped out by a flying fence panel. Oh the joys of living on top of a big hill.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

What a night ! fence panels  down, power out in some places in my town and surrounding villages, and still very gusty here in Somerset .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

What a wild and windy night that was, got hardly any sleep with the noise the wind was making.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Wild and windy here too overnight and it's still at it nearly 12 hours on.  At least this morning it's relatively warm and dry.  We had a roving dustbin lid and a security light that was on and off like a flashlight!  Realised that unless the light was turned off, we had not chance of sleep, so went an did the deed (and put the wayward lid in the garage) at 02.45.  Still very little sleep, but may catch up this afternoon... :)

No rain made it in to the gauge again yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Windy windy windy! Looks like the windiest days here this month will be the 01st and 31st. March came in and is going out like a lion, easy to forget that it did behave like a lamb for a bit in the middle.

Not the night to put out the recycling as everything took off overnight and landed in everyone's garden. Seen many fence panels down as well as tree branches. This month's gales have way surpassed anything in the autumn and winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Breezy here in Peasedown St john.  Poles and vents rattling and shuddering  most of the night. Put my ear plugs. Slept on the good ear side leaving the partially deaf side with an ear plug exposed.  F3  33km/h. Sunny . Scattered Cloud. 11.6c. Humidity Only 49%rh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Another forecast involving rain, down the pan! When is it going to end?

Very windy last night, and windy now. But, it is absolutely gorgeous now- blue skies and temp up to 13.3°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Part of the roof taken of by the gusts last eve!

Oh dear, hope that gets repaired soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Another forecast involving rain, down the pan! When is it going to end?

You need to be fully employed by the UKMO as you clearly know more than them, Mapantz. :D A distinct lack of stations around Wareham I'd say is the main issue, maybe, perhaps?  :pardon:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

What a grim night! The pile of dead fence panels neatly stacked flat on the ground, ready for the bonfire, are now scattered around the garden having been lifted up and flung around by the wind. Now have a dead greenhouse too, wiped out by a flying fence panel. Oh the joys of living on top of a big hill.

Oh god, hope all that gets sorted too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

You need to be fully employed by the UKMO as you clearly know more than them, Mapantz. :D A distinct lack of stations around Wareham I'd say is the main issue, maybe, perhaps? :pardon:

The graphics shown by the national and regional forecasts have been spectacularly wrong! It's not about Wareham, a large part of the south hasn't had the rain that was predicted. There's no point in planning anything the day before, as it will go tits up!

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

The graphics shown by the national and regional forecasts have been spectacularly wrong! It's not about Wareham, a large part of the south hasn't had the rain that was predicted. There's no point in planning anything the day before, as it will go tits up!

What do you think of tomorrow's rain forecast Mapantz? I'm planning my work day on the basis of it looking very much like yesterday did forecast wise and in that case it will be dry until late afternoon rather than late morning as shown on the current forecasts.

Perfect drying day today, mostly sunny and very windy.

Posted

Yes, I guess so but more often it's been you mentioning the fact they were way out so I believe it's your patch where the forecasts have in your eyes, gone consistently wrong. Perhaps, you could draft a letter to the UKMO or BBC to see if they agree with you, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you myself but it certainly angers you, for sure, so might worth a shout.

Moving on the here and now, just had quite a decent squally shower here which dropped a fair amount of hail, pea sized at most I guess but annoyed a Bumblebee which was trying to take shelter from the downpour.

AT 10.1c as I type, was up to 12.2c barely half an hour ago.

Posted

Thinking about the tv forecast again, I think there is sometimes a slight difference implied by the forecaster/presenter against what is actually shown by the graphics as they utter their rushed presentations. Yesterday, I distinctly remember seeing the patchiness of the overnight precipitation shown on screen for our neck of the woods, but can't remember a reference being made to it by the presenter, who simply inferred that there would be plenty of rain, which is rather vague and unhelpful in all fairness. Presenting skills will differ between each and every forecaster I guess, but us viewers are either visual learners and/or good listeners but rarely both and as and when the narrative and graphics don't tally, we are left wondering what the *!&"* forecast is or was, even down to the more immediate timeframe.

Certainly an interesting debate but we best move on from this old long-running topic eventually.  :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

That's correct. I posted the rainfall forecast for 1400 early yesterday and it was way out. The rain, when it did arrive, was hours later and didn't amount to much. Looking at tomorrow rain arriving PM, well place your bets.

post-12275-0-76236300-1427810305_thumb.j

post-12275-0-82926500-1427810314_thumb.p

post-12275-0-25149300-1427810332_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Well that was an interesting day at work.....arrived to find a large section of roof minus the pan tiles, they've blown off, crashed into the single storey roof below, smashing holes in that too; just to add insult to injury the family's away on holiday and no other staff were there either. Ever tried finding an emergency builder to go on a roof in wind like this, to work off a ladder as there's no access for scaffold? Thankfully one came up trumps, as it's a Grade II* manor, one step down from the likes of Blenheim and water ingress to the medieval carved ceilings and cornices wouldn't be the best thing to happen.

• Like 1

Posted

Windy windy windy! Looks like the windiest days here this month will be the 01st and 31st. March came in and is going out like a lion, easy to forget that it did behave like a lamb for a bit in the middle.

Not the night to put out the recycling as everything took off overnight and landed in everyone's garden. Seen many fence panels down as well as tree branches. This month's gales have way surpassed anything in the autumn and winter.

lol me too on the recycling.. Everyone else's though was ok! Why is it always me? !!

Posted

On the subject of forecasts now .. What can we more likely expect over next few days.? Bit lost now as to what to believe from the meto n bbc apps.. Tell me any nice drying days for my washing over Easter? ..

Ooh there's a thought..

Wouldn't be great to have forecasts in washing drying days terms? .. I.e Thursday morn .. Put the washing out for half a day , but bring in by noon as it may blow away and get a little wet. Friday go for it wash and put everything on the line, but bring in before sun sets as it could get cold and freeze like cardboard overnight...

Get my drift? ... Yes sorry I've been on the painkillers for my back. ;)

Posted

Morning all, some overnight wet stuff, and a low of 2.9°C now rising as the sun rises higher. Currently 3.7°C

The time must be coming for us to merge back with the south easters, given we have had a partial eclipse, Easter is days away, the clocks have changed, so everything is doing it's traditional stuff, so the closure of the SW thread seems imminent (given it's quiet in here it may happen sooner rather than later one would think!).

Edited by Dorsetbred