Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I think I can answer this one but am pleased other folk took the plunge on the hail forming question. Air Temperature and Dewpoints are naturally lower in association with height above sea level. Something like for every 300 feet ASL the Temperature will be a degree Fahrenheit lower than the surrounding landscape, all a given on a normal setup other than fog, cloud cover, frontal zones etc. Snow has further to fall, the lower your elevation and if you are in the valleys on days such as today, your ground Temperatures would be much higher in any sunshine.

Yes but surely if it is reaching the ground at low levels as hail it would just reach the ground at elevation as less melted hail? i get the temperature part as I see it daily but its just strange it would fall as hail lower down then snow on hills, snow doesnt melt and reform as hail in the 300m drop?

Just had another light snow shower pass through it is a shame the showers have all but died out now.  :nonono:

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Thanks for the answers folks.

Just want to say....this is the best place I know to ask questions, about all sorts of things. No one makes you feel like a fool and so many people are happy to help and inform. Brilliant aint it :good:

• Like 2

Posted

A white start to the morning, classic spring ground & air frost, with the sun belting through it'll soon be gone though.

Currently 0.6°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yes but surely if it is reaching the ground at low levels as hail it would just reach the ground at elevation as less melted hail? i get the temperature part as I see it daily but its just strange it would fall as hail lower down then snow on hills, snow doesnt melt and reform as hail in the 300m drop?

Just had another light snow shower pass through it is a shame the showers have all but died out now.  :nonono:

Pass. Maybe as Hail and Snow form through entirely different processes, that could be part of the reason. Often hail is lofted up in the clouds and then thrown back down to the surface and this alongside mixing of airmasses at elevation in convective situations might have some impact on what you see at the surface. Graupel and Snow are more closely linked, so yesterday's sightings covered these types I suspect, rather than true hail. 

Nick L might be able to give some further explanations on these complicated topic as will a quick Google search, fascinating stuff whichever way you look at it.  :good:

Posted

What a beautiful day! Frosty and sunny to start (frozen car doors too after the showers yesterday evening!), some banks of cloud late morning until an hour ago but now almost clear blue sky and pleasant sunshine.

It seems we're set for 4 or 5 hours of rain tonight/early tomorrow then another bright/breezy day, although I'm not too sure it will be dry/sunny as predicted on tv forecasts rather there will be some blustery showers moving in from the Bristol Channel on the WNW wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Thanks for the answers folks.

Just want to say....this is the best place I know to ask questions, about all sorts of things. No one makes you feel like a fool and so many people are happy to help and inform. Brilliant aint it :good:

Yes brilliant weather forum and looking across the northern Hemisphere probably the best around ,i wish this site had been around 30/40 yrs ago ,yes brillian t aint it ,cheers . :drinks:

Posted

Have to agree with the others it is a brilliant site, I used to use 3 or 4 sites now I just use 1 this one very friendly, useful, and always someone to answer any questions why go anywhere else Netweather is the number one weather site!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Rain from around 1:30am - 6:30am totalling 7mm

Gusty winds and sunny spells. Currently 12.6°C

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

5mm overnight/first thing in Warminster, it took longer to clear here than areas to the NE and SW as showery rain kept pulsing in from the Bristol Channel while I could see clear sky elsewhere, however the sun was out by 10.00 and it's been bright/breezy since then - a perfect day for drying washing which is good seeing as 2 loads are on the line and a 3rd in the machine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Off to the gym, braving the outdoors in a pair of shorts. Hopefully the numerous hairs on my legs will fend off at least some of the chilly wind haha. Other than that, a bright day after overnight rain.

Posted

Mornin' all, wall to wall blue here after a frosty start @ -0.4°C temp, now rapidly climbing and up to 5.5°C.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Lovely Sunny morning with a little cloud. 4.7c in a shady corner. Non screened temperature has shot up , waiting for a cloud to bring it down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Gorgeous morning here, and pleasantly warm too :)

Posted

The rain has reached here with Ns.

Just out of interest a preliminary look at the Easter weekend.

Looking at the anomalies it would appear at the moment to be a tussle between the Azores ridge and the north west European trough. A bit of a knife edge position. Ignoring the GFS and ECM for the moment and the latest take from the EC32.

Good Friday has the HP dominating but with quite a strong westerly flow and temps just above average.

On Saturday a similar picture with a tad more influence from the trough and winds veered a little.

Sunday not much change but by Monday the trough a little more influential

No doubt this will change by next week but at the moment the south west is the best place to be.

Posted

Looking forward to a trip to Lyme Regis tomorrow, hoping that the cold front will race through by midday so we can enjoy fish and chips outside then a wander around on a bright and breezy afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Maxed out at 15.7. This morning. 10.9c. now . Mainly cloudy.

Edited by ARTDEMOLE