Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Felt raw when walking around White Horse Hill circular walk this afternoon, Cold easterly wind, a few glimmers of sunshine but low cloud kept feeding back in, clear skies just after sunset typical. high of 7c.

Posted

Clear sky with a touch of Ac. Temp 1.9C and a light ENE wind. Min 1.4C Tg 0C

EDIT

Since my post a layer of Sc has appeared.

Edited by knocker

Posted

Rather grim with invizdriz in the air and a brisk Easterly wind, 6.6c somehow! Hints of a few breaks beginning to appear to the East of Salisbury Plain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's one of those days where the temperature does not match how it feels at all - absolutely bitter out there, like some of those days in January, yet it's a notch above 6C. 

Posted

Bit of a shock to the system this morning after returning from a week in Fuerteventura last night.

19c to 22c over the week.

That wind today feels bitter, comparatively.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Dull, dreary and drizzly at times but stayed largely dry on my walk today, thankfully. 6.9c at best, 4.1c minimum so not much of a diurnal range there. Mid-week onwards should see a warm-up for most of us and hopefully some more abundant sunshine too. Spring Equinox a-coming soon so my mindset will shortly refuse to even contemplate snow and ice for another six plus months, roll on Spring proper.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

It's one of those days where the temperature does not match how it feels at all - absolutely bitter out there, like some of those days in January, yet it's a notch above 6C. 

Exactly what I've been saying all weekend! Friday night I had the first hot water bottle of the winter. And walking along Southsea seafront today it felt colder than any of the subzero January days. How does that happen?

Posted

Exactly what I've been saying all weekend! Friday night I had the first hot water bottle of the winter. And walking along Southsea seafront today it felt colder than any of the subzero January days. How does that happen?

Low humidity, low dewpoint, dry air, no sun and an Easterly wind.

2 years ago a few similar days, but colder still, brought snow flurries rather than drizzle in the air.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

A thoroughly miserable, grey and cold day.  Max 6.9°C but feeling considerably colder in the stiff wind.

Posted

Deleted - how did I end up posting in the south-west thread rather than the south-east. Doh!

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted

Most recent sub-zero winter days have also been dead calm as far as I can remember too. A few periods stick out that felt colder than the today and yesterday either due to wind/dewpoint/humidity etc., namely 03rd-05th December, 14th January, 23rd January and 29th January - 07th February. 

Posted

So, I log onto the radar an hour ago to see if there are any drizzly showers around like we had yesterday and I discover a large area of rain heading in from the East, with it's size and slowness looking like it's a wet washout day to come!

Posted

So, I log onto the radar an hour ago to see if there are any drizzly showers around like we had yesterday and I discover a large area of rain heading in from the East, with it's size and slowness looking like it's a wet washout day to come!

just seen that, so largely dry means that largely is a country wide thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

High Tea at Ston Easton Park yesterday and looking out of the window saw light snow  falling.. Did not last long.

This morning on the way back from seeing the blood nurse at the surgery it was sleety. . Temperature is 5.4c. Humidity 85%rh. N .E. Breeze 7-10 km/h.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Yet another cock-up from the BBC forecast. 'Mainly dry' 'Largely dry'

3 hours ago "Apart from a few showers in eastern areas of UK - today is looking mainly dry but rather cloudy."

post-15177-0-48186600-1426507533_thumb.ppost-15177-0-36605000-1426507539_thumb.p

It might be moaning, but forecasts by them have been terrible of late.

Currently 6.2°C and raining.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Just had hail in cribs causeway

Hail here too in Kilmersdon near Radstock. Certainly some small scale convection going on in among the general cloud veil and light rain.

Posted

That's fascinating re the hail. I have been out working in continuous light (with occasional sharp bursts) rain for 5 hours without getting that wet despite it raining persistently. I am intrigued as to why the rain largely died out between 09.00-10.00 then reformed again. It has certainly not all been reaching the ground to the intensity suggested by the NW Radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've just got back from Poole, there was sleety/icy/hail stuff hitting the windscreen. Certainly surprised me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Hail and rain shower just fallen.. 1.5mm....Grand total of 11.7mm this month......

Posted

Some pretty dynamic rain here at times this afternoon, more so than I envisaged. Light rain started around 10am and fell intermittently with occasional brightness but a very heavy shower passed over here shortly after 14:00, an almost summerlike downpour with the roads like rivers in no time. As said above, some small scale convection indeed to get the intensity of these showers. Shame I haven't seen hail.

• Like 1

Posted

And still it rains, virtually non stop for nearly 11 hours although only a few mm in the gauge.

11 hours of rain from what was forecast to be a mostly dry day with a few light showers!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Yes very poor forecasting today re the extent and local heaviness of the rain. Had about 3mm of rain here today with incessant light rain mixed with short sharp bursts containing hail on a couple of occasions since lunch. I noticed the upper winds have veered SE now so some sort of formed troughing may have been responsible for the local heavy rain. Also with more over the Channel moving North in the coming hours a damp night too looks likely.

• Like 1