Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Spring/Summer 2015.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its time for this June to be rescued from the mediocrity and tedium it currently finds itself in. We might just get an average month courtesy of a more summery final week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Its time for this June to be rescued from the mediocrity and tedium it currently finds itself in. We might just get an average month courtesy of a more summery final week.

Well, I hope so - but seeing charts like the above don't fill me with much confidence. Seems almost impossible for very warm weather to push further north this year.

Edited by cheese

Posted

In my location it has been 1-2C above average north/south divide is clear as crystal.

Your position is totally unknown to us so your post makes little sense I am afraid-pop your town in your avatar please, it helps things a lot

thank you

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

In my location it has been 1-2C above average north/south divide is clear as crystal.

ay, but what's your location? somewhere SE but where?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It cannot be denied something potentially seriously and record breakingly hot is possible for Mainland Europe. I cannot rember charts showing such a wide scale 20c isotherm especially for early July. Usually there is just a little finger of 20c 850hpa isotherm by the time it reaches our latitudes. Very high dam too.

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 2

Posted

Getting better but still far from a classic. When it's showing 30c+ for most of England and mid-high twenties for Scotland, I'll pay attention.

In fact I'd love our record high of 34.4C to be threatened. That was achieved with 850pha temp of 16c.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

As far as im concerned that heat or anything too hot can stay the hell away from here.

• Like 5

Posted

Wow... the GFS 18z is really teasing us with some hot, possibly even very hot weather to start July, especially in Kent! If only this came off:

attachicon.gifviewimage.pbx.png attachicon.gif850.png attachicon.giftemp.png

I don't think I have ever seen the 576 dam over the UK before.

The 12Z ensembles had some very high Dam - location central Kent.

table_lke0.png

• Like 3

Posted

docklands central London I think ..

Yep I'll update it - I sense if those charts above verified thousands would perish the elderly and most vulnerable will be hit hard as a weather enthusiast how far can you go?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

The thought of that kind of heat is actually quite daunting!

I know it is very exciting, but at the same time it could be dangerous, especially for the elderly and most vulnerable.

Sometimes we've got to be careful what we wish for! 6am showing 28 degrees is just ridiculous!

• Like 3

Posted

I wish for more than low 20s though in these setups. Even in fantasy land the heat stops short of getting here. I'm not asking for 40C (though I personally wouldn't mind it!), just a fair piece of the summer pie.

Not that that chart is actually going to materialise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

But of course, let's not get excited yet, as the next run could go back to boring north-westerlies...

i dont think so... the anomalies suggest an atlantic trough with a mean upper flow from the southwest :)

Posted

What is this fascination that some people have with hot temperatures? Do they enjoy sweating profusely all of the time, having thumping headaches, not being able to get cool, etc?

Are they all mad?!? :)

I personally prefer pleasantly warm weather (21C suits me just fine). :)

• Like 5

Posted

What is this fascination that some people have with hot temperatures? Do they enjoy sweating profusely all of the time, having thumping headaches, not being able to get cool, etc?

yeah and me, i struggle in hot weather, would like 22C ish and light winds, this cold wind mind you annoying

• Like 1

Posted

High twenties - extreme, hot? Only in the UK! Strange country.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

could say the same for the hoardes who want extreme cold in winter....

ok, heat is uncomfortable, but its only sweat.. to sit out in your garden when its a warm evening, eating, drinking, just enjoying your garden in the evening warmth after a hot day, is rare, any enjoyable.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

could say the same for the hoardes who want extreme cold in winter....

ok, heat is uncomfortable, but its only sweat.. to sit out in your garden when its a warm evening, eating, drinking, just enjoying your garden in the evening warmth after a hot day, is rare, any enjoyable.

Haven't had a day yet where I could get the paddling pool out for the kids, but things are looking up. Dare I say it but...it looks pretty nailed on that there is going to be some kind of plume into Western Europe. How much of that heat reaches the UK and how far N it gets is up for grabs. This morning's GEM buries it in the top corner, the ECM hits the crossbar, and the GFS balloons it into row Z. 

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 4

Posted

Recent research has found a faulty gene that causes an obsessive liking for snow and extreme temperatures. At the moment there is no known cure apart from heavy sedation.

:)

Thankfully I also don't suffer from that problem, but I used to. Getting a few years older has cured it. :)

Note: I'm relatively healthy, not obese (not even fat (or skinny)). :)

Edited by Buzz
  • Like 1

Posted

I love hot weather. I don't sweat profusely or get headaches but then I'm relatively fit and not obese like ever increasing numbers of people in this country. And there's nothing wrong with a bit of sweat, it's the body working normally when hot and much preferable to shivering. It does get hot in summer sometimes, funnily enough (well, it used to, anyway)...nothing beats being able to be out in light clothing, have all the windows/doors open, bask in the suns rays, sit in the shade and not freeze and enjoy al fresco eating/drinking. Not quite so nice if having to commute to work but hey, that's life. 21C feels ok at this time of the year in full sun and no wind but as this year has shown very well, that temp feels decidedly chilly in cloud and wind. At least if it's say, 27C it still feels nice and warm if not sunny/calm.

It's halfway through the year and we have not had a single day of what I would call heat yet. Quite unusual and I know I'm fed up of feeling cold and having to wear jumpers etc because of that annoying, constant chilly wind. Enough already!

I do find that investing in a decent fan really does help in keeping cool. Or one of those air-con units, my friend has one and they work very well and are not too expensive.

The charts do indicate a warming trend, parts of Europe look like getting very hot but this heat doesn't look like affecting most of the UK to any great degree at the moment. Hopefully that'll change!

You are lucky then, weight makes no difference in Summer, I am 122 lbs and get too hot, weight does make difference in winter, normally people around 20 stone sweat after a few steps

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

You are lucky then, weight makes no difference in Summer, I am 122 lbs and get too hot, weight does make difference in winter, normally people around 20 stone sweat after a few steps

When i was like a stick i was in t-shirts when there was frost and ice on the ground and fine with it while in summer i detested humidity. Nowadays i'm fat however my tolerance for humidity has not changed at all while my tolerance for cold has perversely decreased (cope less well with it). 

This suggests that my body has not made the difference and something else has. I've always wondered if growing up in Peterhead (northern Scotland) made me adapt to cold as a child.