Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

June was the warmest month in 1992, well above average, nearly as warm as June 2003 and June 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

June was the warmest month in 1992, well above average, nearly as warm as June 2003 and June 2006.

It was!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Great uncertainty for next week due to ex tropical storm Bill

This is the current favoured option from the beeb

Untitlede6731.png

But if the low engages with the jet stream it will move the high away a lot to play for yet

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

In case you're wondering, the model goes on to develop a classic +ve NAO signal for the autumn, with low pressure tending to be NW of the UK and high pressure from the Azores to Europe.

Christ another Autumn on the mild side (aint that a surprise!) if that happens.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Interestingly, the last time we had a Q3 period (July-September) with all 3 months above the 1981-2010 average was all the way back in 2003. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Feels and sounds like flippin autumn out there. Gawd I hope July and August are a bit warmer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Feels like Autumn? Its still 15c here and 16-17c over most of the Midlands and East!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

In case you're wondering, the model goes on to develop a classic +ve NAO signal for the autumn, with low pressure tending to be NW of the UK and high pressure from the Azores to Europe.

Christ another Autumn on the mild side (aint that a surprise!) if that happens.

Let's hope it happens during August. Probably the best time for that scenario to produce some proper heat as temperatures are at their peak during then over Europe.

The majority of classic plumes in history had the tendency to happen in August yesteryear anyway!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I just want it to be August so that month will be decent for once. We've had a lot of garbage Augusts in recent years (I think 2003 was the last good one) and it's time for a change. August, show us what you actually have the potential to do this year.

Well, no, not really - August 2013 was the 42nd warmest out of 356 and was above average everywhere. Even August 2012 was fairly warm - if a little on the dull side - and let's not forget August 2004 which is the 12th warmest in the series and a very thundery month.

Looking at the data here, nearly every day in August 2013 had a high of 20C or above - highest was 31C (highest of 2013), and sunshine was average. We had a few days of thunder/lightning too. A good month by my books.

August has gotten a bad rap recently but that's because we haven't had a heatwave like 2003 or 1995, which is silly.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Well, no, not really - August 2013 was the 42nd warmest out of 356 and was above average everywhere. Even August 2012 was fairly warm - if a little on the dull side - and let's not forget August 2004 which is the 12th warmest in the series and a very thundery month.

Looking at the data here, nearly every day in August 2013 had a high of 20C or above - highest was 31C (highest of 2013), and sunshine was average. We had a few days of thunder/lightning too. A good month by my books.

August has gotten a bad rap recently but that's because we haven't had a heatwave like 2003 or 1995, which is silly.

but warmth without sunshine is ... well...

i agree with thunderbolt... the last decent august was 03, it was the last august i lost work through drought stressed grass browning off.  a good august to me means = temps + sun +dry, so i dont rate recent augusts at all.

Posted

Pretty much agree with this, August gets a bad reputation in recent years as there haven't been any standout heatwaves. Indeed, we haven't reached above 26.5C here in August since 2006. However that statistic hides that we've had quite a few good months. 2009 and 2013 for example had mean temps of nearly 18C here and were both drier and sunnier than average. 2007 was also pretty decent.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Last night was the first uncomfortably warm one of the season.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Certainly not the case here, a low of 12C last night, perfectly comfortable here in Essex, not a single warm and humid night where temperatures stay above 15C so far this summer.

Posted

Certainly not the case here, a low of 12C last night, perfectly comfortable here in Essex, not a single warm and humid night where temperatures stay above 15C so far this summer.

It was still 17c at midnight here with a dew point in the mid teens, it was a lot more comfortable towards dawn but the start of the night was pretty unpleasant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I've only had two nights this year where the temperature hasn't fallen into single digits at night time.  It's been comfortably cool :)  And still no real hayfever when normally it would be six weeks of suffering by now.  Nice breeze to keep the midges and clegs away, unusually dry underfoot, and not so hot that you can't climb hills without sweating buckets.  All in all......I'm happy .....though I can see why many other people aren't :wink:

Edited by Benvironment

Posted

I've only had two nights this year where the temperature hasn't fallen into single digits at night time.  It's been comfortably cool :)  And still no real hayfever when normally it would be six weeks of suffering by now.  Nice breeze to keep the midges and clegs away, unusually dry underfoot, and not so hot that you can't climb hills without sweating buckets.  All in all......I'm happy .....though I can see why many other people aren't :wink:

Surprising regarding the hayfever considering pollen counts are very high. I know people who are really suffering at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Feels like Autumn? Its still 15c here and 16-17c over most of the Midlands and East!

Yep, twas dark, grey and windy with drizzle in the air yesterday evening. Much like a mild evening in October/November (had plenty of those last year!)

Thankfully today is quite the opposite - calm, sunny and warm with a little high cloud and the birds chirping away.

Posted

last night was the first night this summer I've been able to sleep with my window open and it was wonderful.

Been going to bed freezing cold with a hot water bottle some nights this "summer"

The year of absolutely benign weather continues...

Posted

Feels much fresher out there than yesterday thanks to the lower humidity. Should be a comfortable one tonight :)

Posted

August 04 was a truly horrid month, hell on earth. You can not find such a hell on earth combination of warmth and wet, an extremely humid month which sets the benchmark. 

In the same way that March 12 spoiled me for all other March's to the point that i now like March warmth over an extended winter, August 04 ensured that such humid, wet, warmth is something i will never ever want. 

Best night in a while here, fell to a little under 10C i think but there must have been a breeze or low dewpoints to make it feel nicer. 

last night was the first night this summer I've been able to sleep with my window open and it was wonderful.

Been going to bed freezing cold with a hot water bottle some nights this "summer"

The year of absolutely benign weather continues...

Had mine opened periodically since April although i did have to close it for a swathe of May. 

Posted

Best night in a while here, fell to a little under 10C i think but there must have been a breeze or low dewpoints to make it feel nicer. 

Had mine opened periodically since April although i did have to close it for a swathe of May. 

The second half of the night was much improved and was comfortable by morning, but it was really quite sultry initially and I had trouble sleeping. I am a light sleeper at the best of times and I really don't like being warm while trying to sleep. Cooler the better! But yes, my window has been open of a night every now and again, but it's recently become a regular thing. Will probably have it open most nights until Autumn now.

Posted

I can count 5 or so last night being one of them. Last night was relatively cool as you said it did cool down substantially in comparison to the short plume number 1 and number 2 it was bearable.

Surprising regarding the hayfever considering pollen counts are very high. I know people who are really suffering at the moment.

Not at all surprising in fact pollen levels have reached the peak for the time of year last week it was horrendous for hayfever sufferers like me this week I think it has receded in potency thankfully. Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

After a few pleasant days last week it's back to the usual rubbish.

Temp has struggled to 13C, is it really second half of June, cloudy and windy. Story of the spring and summer so far bar a few day's here and there.

I think you'd have to go up to the arctic to find weather so cold in May and June at sea level. Many day's of either single figures or 13C or less as max's!!

Need it to warm up!!