Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted

I would not say lucky; a large swathe of England has been basking in warm summer sunshine. Your time will come summer always takes some time to get going up north while across the channel down into Iberian peninsula a fire is burning. Conduction analogy is true here those closest to the burner are always going to be warmer. it takes some time for these more hot particles to spread and pass on their heat. Patience is key...

Strange post. 12C in June isn't normal even "up north". It's got nothing to do with conduction and everything to do with wind direction, which has been predominantly NWerly since the end of April.

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 3

Posted

Everywhere in western Europe has has it colder than average for this month, even Spain haven't had it brilliantly hot either.

I've just come back from Turkey and people were saying its been a very cool start to summer relative to normal, indeed maxes last week were in the 26-29 degree range as opposed to the usual 31-34 degree range. May was a cool month as well. I think most of Europe has seen a relatively cool start to summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Everyone to their own but I fail to see why anyone would want this cool weather to end and be replaced with 'thunderstorms'.Some lovely sunny summer days for me thanks!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Maxes for past 5 days here (including today): 22C, 20C, 16C, 16C, 20C.

The week started off good, Thursday and Friday were total garbage, today was rather pleasant, tomorrow looks rubbish with highs of 16C. Next week is looking good though.

I don't know what world Daniel is living in but his idea of the north seems to be based on some sort of windswept Pennine image. Daytime averages in Leeds are only about 2C lower than London in summer. If London is at 24C, 22C would be appropriate here. 24C in London and 16C here is not 'normal'.

This is what a UK 'heatwave' (I use that term very loosely) should look like:

noCttaJ.png

OS7NONf.png

CFcihDb.png

Hij4TCk.png

One thing I've noticed is that Cornwall is nearly as bad as Scotland for getting very warm or hot temperatures.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

So odd looking at that 3rd one down when you realize its from the 1st October 2011.

I suspect the temperatures would look higher for Cornwall on days during the July 2013 spell and last Julys warm spell too. Winds from the E/NE bring the highest temperatures down there.

Posted

its always the case lately, mouthwatering summer charts, ie, heat , sun, thundery mixed in at times, then all get watered down again to boring , nothing happening westerlies  apart from the exctment of patchy light rain at times and 18c  (18c if you are lucky),  the current charts seem to be downgrading a tad  , lets hope not too much, 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Definite chart downgrades if heat and storms are what you're looking for (which I do, every summer). Seems to be impossible to get a decent southerly-easterly with the Atlantic dominating affairs constantly. Quite boring for me. This cool cloudy rubbish is such a waste at this time of the year. It's warmer in Oslo than London currently...ridiculous! Though at least it's not just us suffering with cold, much of Europe is in the same boat.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

Everyone to their own but I fail to see why anyone would want this cool weather to end and be replaced with 'thunderstorms'.Some lovely sunny summer days for me thanks!!

Because some people have an interest in weather :)

Usually decent thunderstorms occur in the afternoon/evening or overnight after fine warm-hot sunny summer days, and only on a minority of days. Ignoring the storms I'd far rather that than cool and cloudy/drizzly (though it hasn't been that bad down here recently) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Maxes for past 5 days here (including today): 22C, 20C, 16C, 16C, 20C.

The week started off good, Thursday and Friday were total garbage, today was rather pleasant, tomorrow looks rubbish with highs of 16C. Next week is looking good though.

I don't know what world Daniel is living in but his idea of the north seems to be based on some sort of windswept Pennine image. Daytime averages in Leeds are only about 2C lower than London in summer. If London is at 24C, 22C would be appropriate here. 24C in London and 16C here is not 'normal'.

This is what a UK 'heatwave' (I use that term very loosely) should look like:

noCttaJ.png

OS7NONf.png

CFcihDb.png

Hij4TCk.png

One thing I've noticed is that Cornwall is nearly as bad as Scotland for getting very warm or hot temperatures.

depends exactly where you are,i am just along the road from you almost in the valley bottom and if you look at my last 5 days..20,18,14,13and 18 they average 2 degrees cooler than yours and up on the hills from here it is 2 degrees cooler than here all year round.In some ways he is partially right as you are 2 degrees cooler than the south,i am 4 degrees and my old youse up on the hills would average 6 degrees cooler than the south!

Posted

Strange post. 12C in June isn't normal even "up north". It's got nothing to do with conduction and everything to do with wind direction, which has been predominantly NWerly since the end of April.

You get my jist the further north you are it is gauranteed to be cooler. We get most of our hot spells via southerly winds from mainland Europe and North Africa further the track the further the dilution I think you've misunderstood the purpose of the analogy.

Posted

Quite an interesting update from Gavin Partridge...

seems the fears of an average or slightly below summer , especially for us in the north west look likely to verify due that cold atlantic,  , why is it staying cold?

and a continuation of  june 2015 through july ,  ie cool cloudy windy north westerlies is depressing to be honest  , hope thats wrong, 

august , dry but just average , yawn,  

the first thunder free year on record for the this area,  you bet !   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Needs to get its finger out of its bum

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

This spring/summer put together is worse than 2012 so far IMBY, late March 2012, 27c was recorded at st bees head! and was warm for about a week, hasnt even been above 20c here yet and 90% of the time its been in the low teens with a strong wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Would say it's a pretty good update, not bringing in the worst of anything, this summer just hasn't delivered any show piece heat so far. At least it's not 2007 or 2012 of where it didn't stop raining.

I actually enjoyed those summers....though it's all relative. Anything has to be better than an incessant NWly and 3/4 cloudy skies!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

One thing that sets this Summer apart from 2007, 2012 is the mention of the dreaded word 'flooding' that has no place in any summer forecast. Now that certainly would have the doom mongers out in force.

One thing that sets this Summer apart from 2007, 2012 is the mention of the dreaded word 'flooding' that has no place in any summer forecast. Now that certainly would have the doom mongers out in force.

billion pound flood events are in no ones interest :0....

Posted

went to only my second bbq of the year yesterday. Was quite humid and warm in the late afternoon but by late evening it was blowing a gale (standard) and too cold to be outside. Lovely March weather.

Posted

The warmest period of the year tends to be roughly mid July to mid August, indeed temps in the first part of September on average are warmer than the first half of June, so we have a lot of time yet for decent temperatures.

It is a pity the last few weeks whilst being generally ok with no substantial heavy rainfall, have delivered little in the way of warm weather especially further north, a pity because I rate May and June as the best months of the year, much better than August when we don't have the same light levels and the countryside and air looses its early summer clarity and sparkle.

I enjoyed summer 13 and 14 for these reasons with the warmth reserved for July rather than having to wait until August.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

agree with nearly all your posts Damian, but for heaven's sake it's LOSE not LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

agree with nearly all your posts Damian, but for heaven's sake it's LOSE not LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not being pedantic and picky but Damian you often use preety instead of pretty. Just helping. :)

• Like 2

Posted

Really running out of time for June to sort itself out.

More NW winds until Wednesday, so continued below average temperatures. One day where it reached 18c, the new one day "heatwave". The rest of days recently have been 12-13c during the bulk of the day, comparing to 11-12c during most of May. 

warmer air from Wednesday onwards, but here it will most likely be cloudy and wet which equals continued suppressed temperatures.

This June here will be as cold as June 2012, but possibly only about as wet as June 2011. Very very Poor. 

I am fully expecting continued cool weather in July, with days of 13-14c

Edited by Lake District Blizzards