Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Well something's gone wrong, it's reached 20C here in Manchester! It's amazing that average weather seems like a Godsend up, but it just shows how tedious this June has been up here.

Amazing just over the hill from here and 3 degrees different,17 deg here but feeling much warmer as of late,dead calm though!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Much better afternoon here. 22c.

Posted

wow 20c, steady on there temperature,  dont get too carried away , you might do yourself an injury getting so high :laugh: 

seriously though 20c in the height of midsummer a few years ago would have seen a bit meh and bland, now its like a mega heatwave upon us

*in our so called warming climate*

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

wow 20c, steady on there temperature,  dont get too carried away , you might do yourself an injury getting so high :laugh:

seriously though 20c in the height of midsummer a few years ago would have seen a bit meh and bland, now its like a mega heatwave upon us

*in our so called warming climate*

SShhh!! :rofl:  :rofl:

Posted

Last year was our warmest on record in our so called warming climate

only due to lack of frost during a very stormy atlantic driven winter, ironically caused by extreme record cold in the usa, 

maximum temps were not that high and no where near any records

climate change could quite possibly cause a cool down in the uk,  maybe this is the start,  time will tell , add in the reducing solar activity , and watch this space 

Posted

Last 25C in June here- 2011

Last 25C in May- 2012

Last 20C in April- 2011

Last 25C in second half of August- 2005 (!)

Since then it has just been July, July, July with the odd day in the first week in August. No other time of year seems capable of producing any heat, even though there have been sunny, dry months like June 2014, April 2015, and June 2015 is now above average too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

only due to lack of frost during a very stormy atlantic driven winter, ironically caused by extreme record cold in the usa, 

maximum temps were not that high and no where near any records

climate change could quite possibly cause a cool down in the uk,  maybe this is the start,  time will tell , add in the reducing solar activity , and watch this space 

Well obviously it isn't causing a cool down in the UK because we've recorded our warmest year three times so far this century - but whatever warming is taking place is clearly not having much impact on summer temperatures.

I worked out the averages for here since 2000 - every month has seen an increase in average temperature but that only tells half of the story.

The biggest increase in temperature has been in April. The 1981-2010 average max in April here is 12.6C, but for the 2000-2014 period it's gone up to 13.7C.

July and August have seen their average max temp increase only by 0.1C since the dawn of the century. June by 0.6C. May by 0.4C. September by 0.6C.

Last 25C in June here- 2011

Last 25C in May- 2012

Last 20C in April- 2011

Last 25C in second half of August- 2005 (!)

Since then it has just been July, July, July with the odd day in the first week in August. No other time of year seems capable of producing any heat, even though there have been sunny, dry months like June 2014, April 2015, and June 2015 is now above average too.

The lack of very warm weather in June since 2011 is a little odd. It reached 31.0C in June 2011 but since then it hasn't reached 25C even once.

The last time we recorded 25C in the second half of August was 2013 - more than once actually. Maybe you were just unlucky.

Last 25C in May was 2012 here too. Last 20C in April was.. 2015. But we don't reach 20C every April.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Oh my goodness the GFS this morning is awe inspiring has we go in July.. if only the heat from spain got pumped our way..The bbc keep hniting at the low to the southwest remaining there and  the the heat from the near continent to build  north.. Please please pretty please :yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted

Well obviously it isn't causing a cool down in the UK because we've recorded our warmest year three times so far this century - but whatever warming is taking place is clearly not having much impact on summer temperatures.

I worked out the averages for here since 2000 - every month has seen an increase in average temperature but that only tells half of the story.

The biggest increase in temperature has been in April. The 1981-2010 average max in April here is 12.6C, but for the 2000-2014 period it's gone up to 13.7C.

July and August have seen their average max temp increase only by 0.1C since the dawn of the century. June by 0.6C. May by 0.4C. September by 0.6C.

The lack of very warm weather in June since 2011 is a little odd. It reached 31.0C in June 2011 but since then it hasn't reached 25C even once.

The last time we recorded 25C in the second half of August was 2013 - more than once actually. Maybe you were just unlucky.

Last 25C in May was 2012 here too. Last 20C in April was.. 2015. But we don't reach 20C every April.

We did get one 25C day at the start of September in 2013, but not late August. In fact we've had nothing higher than 18C in April since 2011, though 2015 had strings of 16-18C days. It seems that while the 2007-2012 spell had some warmth in the shoulder months with rubbish high summers, 2013 onwards has been the other way round.

Posted

Its been a turnaround for the worse here in the east. The first 11 days had 111 hours of sunshine and only 12.8mm of rain, whereas the 12 days since have seen 38 hours and 43.8mm.

Yesterday was dire with a max of 14.3C, but today isn't too bad with sunny spells and a max of 19.9C so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Gorgeous sunshine and 21c. A few clouds but none of that stratocumulus muck. Why? Because there are no awful PM north or north west winds dragging stupidly cold uppers in causing convection which then just flattens out.

• Like 2

Posted

Yeah it's nice .. 20C with a bit of cloud knocking about. Would be higher if it wasn't for that useless chunk of cloud that obscured the sky about an hour ago.

Considering that the BBC were going for a completely cloudy day, it's turned out brilliantly.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Brilliant day here. Temperatures responding to the midsummers day sun too with 23c already at mildenhall and Northolt etc. could get 24c by 15:00 :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I've been enjoying the summer so far. A fair amount of sunshine, not overally wet but more importantly not overally warm or cold either, temperatures around 20c is perfect for me. 

Any "hot" weather can bugger off and stay in Europe as far as I'm concerned, along with the dreadful humidity. Roll on winter!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Cannot stand winter, especially the last 2 years of it! Just constantly 3-4c with driving wind and rain is no fun. If it is mild at 12-13c I don't mind, if it is exciting with snow, I also don't mind! But just constant mush and dross we have to put up with for weeks on end, being led down the garden path for months and to then watch time run out into spring by which time it is too late to enjoy a decent cold spell. That just doesn't cut it for me at all. 

Loving this weather how it is now, and looking forward with what the outcomes will be on this potentially exciting plume.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I've been enjoying the summer so far. A fair amount of sunshine, not overally wet but more importantly not overally warm or cold either, temperatures around 20c is perfect for me. 

Any "hot" weather can bugger off and stay in Europe as far as I'm concerned, along with the dreadful humidity. Roll on winter!

I agree with that. I seem to be in the minority who have found June on the whole to be pretty pleasant!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I agree with that. I seem to be in the minority who have found June on the whole to be pretty pleasant!

Yes it has been pleasant am sure in Steeple claydon but you are forgetting you have 3 degrees on us up here and less windy conditions and its another world again from what they have been having in Aberdeen.Lovely here though yesterday and today18 deg yesterday and has just hit 20 today!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Looking at the gfs has made me feel much better after a long hard day at work and another cloudy cool day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I have found June to be pleasant too, perfect temperatures, low humidity, (apart from three sticky days) plenty of sunshine, cool breezes, could actually do with a bit more rain. Long may it continue and I hope the heat and humidity stays in Europe. :good:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Looking at the gfs has made me feel much better after a long hard day at work and another cloudy cool day.

In a weeks time, temps in the low teens will be a distant memory.

On the subject of June, i have found it largely pleasant too, but without much interest, and i really have been craving the warm, soft feel to the air that you get on days like today. There have been much worse Junes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Hmm, typical that as soon as we lose the cool air mass, the cloud increases. Air felt a lot softer today, the breeze was even noticeably warmer, but it clouded over a lot quicker than yesterday.

Posted

Hmm, typical that as soon as we lose the cool air mass, the cloud increases. Air felt a lot softer today, the breeze was even noticeably warmer, but it clouded over a lot quicker than yesterday.

Completely the opposite here! The satellite shows no where near as

Much stratocumulus built up.

Posted

First 12 days of June had 131 hours of sun. Last 11 have had 32. Hasn't been very warm either.

I don't understand why certain people welcome cold weather in winter with open arms but the thought of hot weather is met with recoil and horror. I also don't get why people look forward to winter in the UK when nearly every year is a disappointment - like the last two years. I mean, even up here we only got a few inches - in London they got a 2-hour slushy covering in January?! Where's the fun in that?

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3