Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

I'd agree out to mid month. After the 15th say is IMO too hard to call yet, we shall see

Maybe the GFS is on the case first, as it was last time around when I said there wasn't much summery in the charts:

post-2844-0-07011600-1436115786_thumb.gi

Having said that, to me that only suggests another plume, rather than a HP plonked overhead. I'd rather have some settled HP weather now rather than another hit and miss plume. A few hot days and a thunderstorm isn't summer :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Thunder stopped here now after at least a couple of dozen cracks. Rain back to non biblical levels.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Intense squall line to the east of me; can hear it, but remains bright and sunny at fort SS.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

I think that's probably the fun and games over now. Golly what a stonking second half to the week it's been for downpours

Intense squall line to the east of me; can hear it, but remains bright and sunny at fort SS.

The storm to my north-east has been extremely violent, I was under the tail end of it, the fork lightning to my east was incredible. Needless to say I failed to catch any of it on my camera, I'll need to invest in a tripod or something for a long exposure.

post-2844-0-12269400-1436122161_thumb.jppost-2844-0-94456600-1436122188_thumb.jppost-2844-0-67480400-1436122230_thumb.jp

It was an awesome sight, the fork lightning off it was immense and the back end seemed to be rotating, weird cloud movement on it. Even looking at the radar returns it looks weird the way it's moving. Wish I'd been underneath it properly!!

Edit: Something brewing up from the south now...'mon the storms :D :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Very heavy rain here now.  Not good for the strawberries. Currently 12c  Just a comment from a grumpy old farmer which I have probably said before but the amount of forked lightning that we see today seems way above  what used to occur 50 odd years ago when I mostly remember sheet lightning as a child here. Much more dangerous to be out in as witnessed by my first ever lightning loss of a cow and calf 3 years ago.

Pollen levels seem to off the scale here  too as plants try very hard to catch up with the roadside grasses releasing clouds of yellow,even I am suffering but  I am hearing of folks in the locality going round with swollen almost shut eyes. because of the pollen.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Pollen levels seem to off the scale here  too as plants try very hard to catch up with the roadside grasses releasing clouds of yellow,even I am suffering but  I am hearing of folks in the locality going round with swollen almost shut eyes. because of the pollen.

It's been the same here. We took MrsC's dog along the disused railway line not far from here one day last week and there were clouds of pollen dust coming off the grasses on the track. Even the dog was sneezing like mad. I had a terrible day with my eyes, it felt as if they had been rolled in dust and then stuck back in my head. Not a lot of fun.

Not sure about the lightning thing, but it's unusual for someone to say there's "more" of something today so maybe you're onto something. We usually look back and say summers were hotter and drier or winters were colder and snowier :D

Posted

Weather warning out tomorrow for NE Scotland.  More thunderstorms anyone?

Posted

Pleasant day in NE Fife, sunny spells and temp up to 20c.

Posted

Thought i would try to finish scarifying neeps this morning as the forecast was for a dry day but we have just had a heavy localised shower. Very humid earlier and currently 19c  but  the sun is out again.

Posted

Weather warning for NE Scotland but Judith on Reporting Scotland referring to NE Tayside in her forecast for slow moving downpours (?)...

Weather warning for NE Scotland but Judith on Reporting Scotland referring to NE Tayside in her forecast for slow moving downpours (?)...

Anywhere in large parts of Scotland could be affected today not just the NE. Thunderstorms can be hard to pin down to an exact location until they start up. A good day for keeping an eye on the radar :)

Posted

SEPA flood warning out too for Aberdeen & Shire...

Heavy showers are expected this afternoon and evening which have the potential to result in some localised flooding from surface water and fast responding watercourses. Potential impacts lasting into Tuesday night are likely to be localised flooding to low lying land and roads, with travel disruption being possible where the heavier showers fall.

Oh...looks like they've added Dundee & Angus too now.

Currently quite pleasant with sun & scattered clouds, a light breeze and temps around 16C. That's in Dyce i.e back at work sadly.

There's a nice fat Cumulus (in fact might be a Cb) heading east to our north at the moment. Signs of things to come?

The lightning detector on NW Radar is recording some lightning too, fingers crossed for some decent action for all of you up there :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

1440 edit: Mod/heavy shower now, quite a thundery feel to things.

Yeah, it's warm & muggy with lots of ominous black clouds around. Which means we'll probably just get rain and none of the exciting flashy stuff.

Posted

Hammering it down here (near Aberdeen harbour).  No thunder yet.

Posted

Flash of lightning and now two thunder claps heard.