Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

:ninja:

checking in - because i keep looking outside thinking its autumn and so time for daily netweather fix  :wallbash:

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yes Norrance expecting 7cm lying snow on the Ben on Thursday. Let's see how cold it gets.

Posted

That was fun. Go for a dog walk about 15 minutes ago and low and behold the rain decided to absolutely unleash big style. Guess whose like a drowned rat right now

Posted

GP is back on the model thread and is hopeful for August. Can only hope that he is right for the sake of all in here who have an interest in growing plants. on a large or small scale.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

GP is back on the model thread and is hopeful for August. Can only hope that he is right for the sake of all in here who have an interest in growing plants. on a large or small scale.

Is it as bad as 1993, up there, NL? That was an atrocious 'summer'...

Posted

Is it as bad as 1993, up there, NL? That was an atrocious 'summer'...

I think further north of me in Caithness and then Orkney and Shetland it is the worst ever beating 1985 which is my bench mark  worst ever year  on the farmwhen we still had half the spring barley to cut on the 11th of October. Growth is 2 weeks behind normal on the farm and the harvest will be well into September for spring sown crops unless we get a sunny dry August. A neighbour who usually has superb begonias was saying to me yesterday they were about third of the normal size and not flowering well so gardners are having a poor time too.

Having said that we have had  a breezy sunny  dry day  today with a maximum of 16c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I think further north of me in Caithness and then Orkney and Shetland it is the worst ever beating 1985 which is my bench mark worst ever year on the farmwhen we still had half the spring barley to cut on the 11th of October. Growth is 2 weeks behind normal on the farm and the harvest will be well into September for spring sown crops unless we get a sunny dry August. A neighbour who usually has superb begonias was saying to me yesterday they were about third of the normal size and not flowering well so gardners are having a poor time too.

Having said that we have had a breezy sunny dry day today with a maximum of 16c.

My cousin in Lewis reckons this Spring / early Summer is the worst there he can remember and he is now in his sixties. He has a croft and says that his veg are all the latest he can recall. Talking to some of the locals they said that similar weather when the crofts were a subsistence way of live could have led to famine.

There is still a lot of debris there from the January storm and high winds would also have kept the fishing fleet in as they were oar and sail boats.

As an aside these big storms seem to come roughly in a ten year cycle. The tragedy in the Uists being ten years ago and there was a big storm also in 1995.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

My cousin in Lewis reckons this Spring / early Summer is the worst there he can remember and he is now in his sixties. He has a croft and says that his veg are all the latest he can recall. Talking to some of the locals they said that similar weather when the crofts were a subsistence way of live could have led to famine.

There is still a lot of debris there from the January storm and high winds would also have kept the fishing fleet in as they were oar and sail boats.

As an aside these big storms seem to come roughly in a ten year cycle. The tragedy in the Uists being ten years ago and there was a big storm also in 1995.

I think I remember that storm?? Was it the remnants of a hurricane - August 1995?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I think that they were talking about January. Maybe 18th?

Meanwhile here today it has been quite pleasant. Sunny intervals and a max of 18C.

Posted

The temperature got up to average (19c) yesterday and there was a mere 1.7 hours of sunshine but on the basis that it at least stayed dry it counts as the best day in some time.

I now have a few days off and family coming to visit so am hoping for some sunny spells between the forecast showers!

The temperature got up to average (19c) yesterday and there was a mere 1.7 hours of sunshine but on the basis that it at least stayed dry it counts as the best day in some time.

I now have a few days off and family coming to visit so am hoping for some sunny spells between the forecast showers!

Beach party at your place then? :D It's cloudy, cool and breezy here today. Something's got to give eventually but nowt much to get excited about in the charts.

Posted

Today's crop of showers have brewed one over us right now

At least the sun is shining this morning, until the showers start later today. I feel like I'm stuck in limbo-land with this weather, it's neither here nor there. It's not an awful washout, but it's not proper summer. It's inbetweeny and doing my head in. At least in thirteen weeks we can start snow hunting, 91 days to go :D

Posted

What day did it say snow - canny see it?

Don't think it happened. Thursday was the main chance but not quite cold enough, at least for anything lying. Early temps last couple of days at Aonach Mor summit were 2.6 and 2.8C with precipitation around so not far off snow I would guess.

Here feeling quite warm in the sun with a max of 18.1C. Just a brief couple of showers later in the afternoon though with some nice cloud formations.

Posted

A better day than expected considering the clouds. Loved the cloud I saw at 5 during dog walkies big anvil I think it was and you could see the rain falling from underneath it not much rain overhead today though

Posted

Dry well relatively dry yesterday but already on our second shower of the day. With no wind they last quite a while

Posted

Brightening up here after a prolonged and heavy shower. Sunny earlier on and blue skies reappearing now. Temp dropped from 15C to under 12C during the shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Weather been horrific lately. Running well below average...

Currently 17.6c, one of the better days recently and still 2c below normal.

Particularly chilly mornings recently, not helping the growth at all.

• Like 1

Posted

Was out at the Kelpies with the kids earlier. Missed the rain but some very heavy clouds around and rain was never far away. Didn't get my camera out in time but was lucky enough to see a funnel cloud form for a very short time and then disappear as quickly as it arrived. It was unmistakable against the almost black sky.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A pic of it off the net..

post-12319-0-83143900-1437851650_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well the great thing about being used to Scottish weather is that here on hols N.England we are walking around in shorts and t-shirt whilst most other people have jackets on. Give me a dry, sunny 16C and I'm content.

Wven here though the forecast for the next few days is poor.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Well the great thing about being used to Scottish weather is that here on hols N.England we are walking around in shorts and t-shirt whilst most other people have jackets on. Give me a dry, sunny 16C and I'm content.

Wven here though the forecast for the next few days is poor.

16c.... Hahahaha.

Maybe in February ;)

My step dad always says it's 'mild' outside or a 'nice day' which means <17c and overcast. 12c and sunny would probably what he would consider a great summers day.

When he says it's 'sweltering' outside, that's when I don't put my winter coat on and consider not putting my jumper on for going outside.

No wonder he isn't a fan of beach holidays.

Going to be hard getting used to 32c+ in a couple weeks.

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Weather been horrific lately. Running well below average...

Currently 17.6c, one of the better days recently and still 2c below normal.

Particularly chilly mornings recently, not helping the growth at all.

Runner beans in garden have stopped growing and looking a bit yellow . Growth stiil 2 weeks behind on farm especially spring barley which is very green and will probably not ripen till September so a late harvest seems likely. a bit of sun today with a few showers and a maximum temperature of 15c

Posted

Did anywhere have frost last night?
It was down to 3.8C here which implies ground frost in valley bottoms.