Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Tbh, I think we are doing well out of a poor synoptic situation. Could be a lot worse with the Greenland heights in place.

No doubt they will leave about October and we will get mild mush thereafter haha. Hopefully a really cold winter, fingers crossed.

We so have a lot of heat to our south so I wouldn't rule out a decent August or September but apart from brief plumes I doubt we'll see any good weather like 2013 and 2014

Somewhat unbelievably parts of the east have had a statistically decent June, average temps, drier than normal and sun amounts average to above average. Not so good in other areas:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Somewhat unbelievably parts of the east have had a statistically decent June, average temps, drier than normal and sun amounts average to above average. Not so good in other areas:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

I looked at that the other day and couldn't believe that June here was pretty much average. Certainly hasn't felt average at all, but statistics don't lie I suppose, do they?

Well this morning has a much cooler feel to it, especially with quite a strong northerly breeze. Largely dry with sunny spells though, which is welcome after yesterdays localised flooding (of which there's not much evidence left in Dyce that I could see).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Heating on tonight?? Brr

post-18260-0-30679500-1436365233_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Decent day today, reached 18.8c and felt actually quite warm. Chilly now with a noticeable NWly wind but today has not been as bad as forecast and was pretty sunny

Posted

Dried up a bit during the day but there have  been some hefty showers especially in the late afternoon.  Ground is absolutely saturated and it would not matter if it did not rain again until after the harvest in September.     Currently 8c with a drizzly shower.

A  bit of an arctic sky today post-2744-0-43305400-1436390138_thumb.jp with showers to the NE cross the Firth this morning and a shower crossing the post-2744-0-96382600-1436390123_thumb.jpCawdor hills this evening

• Like 1

Posted

June was mediocre here, below average sunshine, but also drier than average with only 36mm of rainfall (we've already reached our monthly average of 54mmin this July!). June temps were almost bang on the average.

Cool last night with a min of 6.6c, decent day in prospect and while cool we should manage 18c in the sunshine.

Posted

Very sunny with some scattered clouds. 17.1c and feeling pleasant :)

Perfectly reasonable day today, although not quite as warm as I'd like for summer. Charterhall weather station reporting 14ºC, my weather station claiming 20.2ºC.

Some pics from our walk earlier :)

post-2844-0-62695800-1436447715_thumb.jppost-2844-0-92674700-1436447803_thumb.jppost-2844-0-38864300-1436447889_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-24636100-1436447977_thumb.jppost-2844-0-71176600-1436448065_thumb.jppost-2844-0-03454500-1436447445_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-57839200-1436448149_thumb.jppost-2844-0-03231700-1436448234_thumb.jppost-2844-0-68495600-1436448319_thumb.jp

Posted

Much better day. Not overly warm and a little breezy but probably as good as we'll get this week. Very pleasent

Posted

Been quieter couple of days here (if not totally dry!). Note tonight/early hours Sat S/E Scotland might see some more thundery rain, so maybe more lightning shows?! For now, brightened up here after some earlier rain. 

Posted

Been quieter couple of days here (if not totally dry!). Note tonight/early hours Sat S/E Scotland might see some more thundery rain, so maybe more lightning shows?! For now, brightened up here after some earlier rain. 

Watching with interest here for later. Doubt we will get anything but who knows anything's possible I suppose

Watching with interest here for later. Doubt we will get anything but who knows anything's possible I suppose

Aye, there's a reasonable storm risk for the SE, not sure you'll see anything but never say never when it comes to the weather :)

Feels thundery...

Same here. Loads of heavy bursts of rain around Scotland at the moment, nothing here and no lightning being reported on the NW radar. The precip forecasts from earlier seem well off, it's all a lot further west at the moment.

Posted

Pleasant bright and breezy morning with the wind in the west where we like it! 18c.

Posted

Looks to be very lively showers quite near aberdeen

Posted

Rain on again after a warm humid day currently 18c. Neighbour just turned some hay which has been lying a week.  Might  as well have not and saved the diesel. We still have a field of hay to cut but not sure when to cut to catch a dry spell which never seems to happen.

However we are much better off than the farmers in Orkney or Shetland who are seriously considering sending all their breeding  livestock south to the mainland for this coming winter  to be fed as their grass and crops have failed to grow and shipping all the feed they would  need for the winter to the islands is just too expensiveas  as  it is so bulky.

This cooler than average N Atlantic is begining to have serious consequences.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted

Rain on again after a warm humid day currently 18c. Neighbour just turned some hay which has been lying a week.  Might  as well have not and saved the diesel. We still have a field of hay to cut but not sure when to cut to catch a dry spell which ever seems to happen.

However we are much better off than the farmers in Orkney or Shetland who are seriously considering sending all their breeding  livestock south to the mainland for this coming winter  to be fed as their grass and crops have failed to grow and shipping all the feed they would  need for the winter to the islands is just too expensiveas  as  it is so bulky.

This cooler than average N Atlantic is begining to have serious consequences.

Ken, hay field is ready to cut, (thigh height) but we wait for the contractors....

There had been short windows of opportunity here but the idiots keep going by 'long-term' weather sites and writing off weeks at a time.

We simply don't have a stable HP scenario so it will have to be a snap decision I a 2/3 day window in order to get in it successfully

• Like 1

Posted

Nice enough summer's day here today. Max about 22C I think and warm enough to sit outside. Just one moderate rain shower late morning but couldn't spoil my little girl's 1st birthday!

• Like 1

Summary of this morning's 00z GFS & ECM: Pah.

Some reasonable days no doubt but unsettled with rain or showers never far away.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Another few 5hitty days ahead up here. Ye Gods, how we long for a wee bit o' sunshine! Thursday...dry and breezy...no sun! Friday...howling gale and horizontal rain. Saturday....see Friday! Sunday...dreich and damp. I think I can safely say that summer (what's that then?) has completely bypassed Skye And Western Highlands. So effing miserable, I pity the tourists who are probably spending their time wringing out their clothes, poor souls! There doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon remotely resembling summer, maybe we'' have a lovely balmy Autumn then? Oh, please......!

Posted

Summary of this morning's 00z GFS & ECM: Pah.

Some reasonable days no doubt but unsettled with rain or showers never far away.

Yes, that says it all, Catch. Rainfall is already above average for the month here and it's only the 12th!

There will be doubtless a lot of focus on the weather here in NE Fife this week with the Open starting on Thursday. Looking at the models, Friday and Saturday look pretty dire at this range, but we'll see.

Not bad this morning with sunny spells in a fair westerly breeze, 16c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It's been a decent weekend here with occasional sunny spells and temps around the high teens, maybe nudging the 20s briefly. Too much cloud around though to get into the warm category.

Week ahead isn't looking too great. Glad to be heading south for a change for our hols next weekend. Only as far as Yorkshire, but it should be warmer than Scotland is likely to be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just got back from a rather wet and changeable 8 days in the NW Highlands and Hebridies. The days that didn't have showers were wet and windy. Mostly mildish but a couple of cold days midweek. However it was great to get away from it all.

Noticed much more in the way of snow patches for July North of Inverness particularly in the Fannichs and around Beinn Dearg.