Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Gone very dark here in Dyce but rain not hit yet. Just heard a rumble of thunder, though didn't see any flash.

Edit: Torrential rain hit here now and second crack of thunder. Actually saw the lightning this time, in the clouds off over Aberdeen direction.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

It looks to be approaching from SW of the city on a direct hit and possibly backbuilding.

Posted

No thunder here but a sharp shower's formed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Rain has subsided to moderate, but still very cloudy & still occasional rumbles of thunder.

Aberdeen FC tweeted a pic of flash flooding of their ticket office.

Heavy showers here with some thunder. Not too bad though.

Posted

Rain has subsided to moderate, but still very cloudy & still occasional rumbles of thunder.

Picking up again here after a lull, with a flash and a few rumbles in the last few minutes, most likely from the heavy radar return that developed to the south of Inverurie (over my house?)

Posted

Walklhighlands seem to have latched onto  a Met Office forecast of -5c and snow tomorrow at 1.00pm on Cairngorm Summit. Can this be correct? and if so then my comment on Snow on the Scottish Mountains 2015  thread seems to be relevent again. https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82789-snow-on-the-scottish-mountains-2015/page-4#entry3231094

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Walklhighlands seem to have latched onto  a Met Office forecast of -5c and snow tomorrow at 1.00pm on Cairngorm Summit. Can this be correct? and if so then my comment on Snow on the Scottish Mountains 2015  thread seems to be relevent again. https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82789-snow-on-the-scottish-mountains-2015/page-4#entry3231094

MWIS talking of snow showers and wind chill of -6C so maybe that's what they are picking up on? -5C, even on the tops, seems rather 'excessively' low.

Edit: Back to the torrential rain in Dyce, just in time for 'rush hour'.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

The rain has left serious flooding in Aberdeen, even BBC Scotland are reporting it!!!!

Not too bad once West of Tyrebagger but Dyce was a bit of a mess when I left work. Terminal building apparently flooded, car park across from Bristows 'very wet' with several cars up to thier doorframes at least. Also a massive puddle on access road out to A96, where the've put in a new junction for new office buildings. Major flaw in drainage there!

Sat at traffic lights and watched to see if the cars waiting would attempt the crossing. Three did and two made it, although I'm sure they'll have wet carpets as I've never seen cars go so deep before. The third car didn't make it and is probably still sat there in the puddle, ironically blocking the least deep half if the road.

Had I been in thier position, even with it being the only way out of that estate, I'm not sure I'd have tried it, and I drive a 4x4!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

July 1885 could be a good contender.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

i don't know about -5, but anything less than 2c will give snow showers at 4000ft.

Posted

some pics and videos of Aberdeen/shire flooding on local Facebook News page, never seen rain like it! just wish it had been dark to get all the flashes properly (see the forks!)

https://www.facebook.com/FubarNews

Posted

some pics and videos of Aberdeen/shire flooding on local Facebook News page, never seen rain like it! just wish it had been dark to get all the flashes properly (see the forks!)

https://www.facebook.com/FubarNews

The one on there with the big muddy puddle at the traffic lights is the one I Dyce I was talking about.

Posted

Have you seen the big puddle at the middle of paradise road where it crosses with kendal road Ravelin? flooded the house on the corner,  I don't think I ever remember flooding in Kemnay?

Edited by Snoozi

Posted

Cooling down  here now dull ,drizzly and currently 9c. All hayfever sufferers will be able to get a decent nights sleep tonight up here after all the rain we have had today and the cooler night. Wind now from the NW

Posted

Have you seen the big puddle at the middle of paradise road where it crosses with kendal road Ravelin? flooded the house on the corner,  I don't think I ever remember flooding in Kemnay?

No, didn't pass that as I came in, and the road between the village entrance and Bogbeth was unusually water free at 6pm. That usually suffers due to run off from the fields.

I can imagine the water running down Kendal Rd as it's a fair slope. Know a couple of people on live on it, but near the top.

• Like 1

Posted

I grew up in Kemnay. Worst flooding I remember was September 1995.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Hello from a very warm yet smoggy morning in Beijing! Surprisingly day 1 was very similar to Inverness last week, 30'C so didn't feel too bad, up to 36'C today though and very sunny with the smog having cleared.

I was under the impression that I'd have little to report here other than the heat and thunder storms but I believe a typhoon is hitting Shanghai when I arrive there on Saturday.

• Like 3

Posted

Yet another wet start to the day although rain just stopping now. Suppose you could call rest of today and tomorrow a small breather before more rain on friday

Posted

Starting to dry up but has rained most of the night and was 7c at 6.00am with a distant rumble of thunder about 2.00 am

Yet another wet start to the day although rain just stopping now. Suppose you could call rest of today and tomorrow a small breather before more rain on Friday

We're at the front end of that band of showery rain which is clearing you now John. This summer is turning out very poor, although still plenty of time for that to be turned around. Friday looks wet in the west and in central areas, for those of us in the far east (north and south) we may escape the worst of the rain and the GFS has temps which suggest something quite pleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

We're at the front end of that band of showery rain which is clearing you now John. This summer is turning out very poor, although still plenty of time for that to be turned around. Friday looks wet in the west and in central areas, for those of us in the far east (north and south) we may escape the worst of the rain and the GFS has temps which suggest something quite pleasant.

Tbh, I think we are doing well out of a poor synoptic situation. Could be a lot worse with the Greenland heights in place.

No doubt they will leave about October and we will get mild mush thereafter haha. Hopefully a really cold winter, fingers crossed.

We so have a lot of heat to our south so I wouldn't rule out a decent August or September but apart from brief plumes I doubt we'll see any good weather like 2013 and 2014