Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/06/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

For us in the West Country - Almondsbury View Point which looks out to South Wales. Excellent views for lightning shots.

attachicon.gif3.JPG

Another one for the list, what a creative lot we are, now all we need is a big damn dose of lady luck.  :hi:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Yes Gordon we know, tis only a risk currently so should simply be regarded simply as a risk at this stage. Take care now.

it's alright I overreacted to the warning thats all as this covers any storms and also the rain that follows

Edited by Gordon Webb
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Thanks sunnijim, presumably Blackheath is this one - http://tinyurl.com/nn492o9 and Hastings would be as follows - http://tinyurl.com/nzkc9pj

I sense a new thread in the making?

yes,The area in BLACKHEATH just to the right of the location pinned,but close enough,and HASTINGS country park spot on,the area is often refered to localy as the FIREHILLS.

GREENWICH park is a good spot too,if you pick the right area.I once captured a nice fork hitting the HSBC tower at Canary warf from there! Just after the big financial crash actually ;-)

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 1

Posted

also to add roundway hill devizes would also be a good spot for those looking for an eastward track   https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51%C2%B022%2736.2%22N+1%C2%B058%2748.9%22W/@51.376725,-1.980254,271m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Realy hope many posters get their storm .What is becoming a real concern is the potential for very large rainfall totals ,when i lived in bristol back in 1968 a thundery low developed and caused carnage but areas not that far away were just very wet .

we did have frequent thunder and lightning but with the noise of the rain and murk it was the rain which won the show .

As this is a developing situation i think we will be in a far better situation regards areas to get hit later this evening .

Its great that posters are sharing their knowledge here on this forum ,as many years ago [yes i,m 63 nearly ] we never had the internet but bbc was good and of course local met office , i would watch the southern skys with fingers crossed and get realy excited when those first flashes occured in the distance ,looking at current info i would say any storms tonight could be very intense but still hard to pin down still even at this hour .keep the info coming please ,i,m off for a Bap and to get my loyal old fashioned camera up and running .cheers all . :drinks:  :help: dont panick captain mannering theres a storm coming .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Do you think it's doable to phone up the Weather Gods and ask if they could pre-warn of hail? It's just that last time the unexpected hail pretty much destroyed all my young plants and it would be fab if I didn't have to re-start them a third time.

Anyone got their number? or do they do email these days? Twitter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Just a WeatherPro app update for us Bristol peeps... Tasty

post-15744-0-38977900-1434018713_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

Bit confused as to the evenings band, it seems to be heading in a more northerly direction yet the storms during the day seem to be more NW?

Could anyone confirm what direction each will be moving in?

Thanks

Prob due to the position of the low atm and its progress too. I thinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

For us in the West Country - Almondsbury View Point which looks out to South Wales. Excellent views for lightning shots.

attachicon.gif3.JPG

Yep that spot is brilliant. Usually has a few spaces to park in a layby on the side road just as you turn off the A38. Some good places around my hometown as well, where you can either look out towards the Severn, or out eastwards.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Nice little cumulus humilis building up over the hills - this is my view west from the house! All coming on nicely from the south...

post-21857-0-21603200-1434019451_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Yep that spot is brilliant. Usually has a few spaces to park in a layby on the side road just as you turn off the A38. Some good places around my hometown as well, where you can either look out towards the Severn, or out eastwards.

Where abouts Chris? Do you know where Standish Woods is? It overlooks Stroud and has clear visibilty of South Wales. Not sure of elevation but its definitely another fantastic location.

Posted

You're all very lucky. The only vantage point for most of us to ever follow storms, is in front of the computer!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Posted a warning on my weather page. ---> https://www.facebook.com/LSEweather

WARNING FOR THUNDERSTORMS
[Valid Friday 06:00 - Saturday 03:00]

A warm air mass is now pushing its way northwards across the UK at the moment. Low pressure currently sitting out to the south west of Cornwall will introduce thunderstorms and/or longer spells of heavy, thundery rain. The main threat is for excessive rainfall totals, especially in the orange area, where 50-70mm could be exceeded in a short space of time. With this in mind, it is likely some areas could see flooding and/or flash flooding as a result. Any thunderstorms do have the potential to be severe with strong gusty winds, medium-large sized hail and frequent lightning.

This is a more widespread and prominent setup than last Friday.

post-15503-0-61801400-1434019404_thumb.p

• Like 4

Posted

post-13593-0-29385900-1434020021_thumb.j Rouse Farm Bout 300 yards up the road looking Southish by my reckoning Hmmn.

I'm not going to give anyone a link to hotspots live that's for sure, at least not before the 9pm watershed has passed.  :nonono:

In fact, all these locations aforementioned are not simply provided as storm chaser havens, I'm imagining there are all  sorts of extra curriculum activities available on site, especially past the twilight hour.

Back on topic I go.  :rofl:

Yeah was thinking same gltw I dont want my favourite "spots" details given away :)

As an aside, a met office warning is posted and 3 posts later " its not gonna happen in SE" posts appear (although maybe posted at the same time, if so sorry)

Edited by Biggin

Posted

Here you go guys and gals - Anyone who is going to travel to the west country, I recommend going here (that is of course if there are storms in this area).

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/haresfield-beacon-and-standish-wood/

Edited by Karl83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Harrow Viewpoint, for people who live in the North Home Counties/North London who want shots over London, brilliant spot just look out for illegal activities haha.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//51.620339,-0.3498343/@51.6192815,-0.3494057,16z

Edited by Mesoscale
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Top of Portsdown Hill north of Portsmouth gives 360 degree views for miles and miles in all directions.  I added this spot into My Favourites in my sat nav last summer. 

Whilst there are numerous places to park - the place I actually parked happened to be under an electricity pylon on the top of a big hill.  Is this dangerous or are pylons earthed in such a way that the ground at the bottom doesn't get electrified if the pylon is struck?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Top of Portsdown Hill north of Portsmouth gives 360 degree views for miles and miles in all directions.  I added this spot into My Favourites in my sat nav last summer. 

Whilst there are numerous places to park - the place I actually parked happened to be under an electricity pylon on the top of a big hill.  Is this dangerous or are pylons earthed in such a way that the ground at the bottom doesn't get electrified if the pylon is struck?

Technically the lightning is more likely to travel into the underground wires, I have never see lightning jump from a cable directly to the ground beneath because the wire creates a less resistant path than air. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Right. Going to head to oxford through towards Swindon tomorrow afternoon. Think this will be the sweet spot. So quite a journey in store for me now, didn't think I'd have to head much down the A1 a day or so ago!

Meteorology for you.

• Like 3

Posted

post-13593-0-95588900-1434020367_thumb.j

Shirley hills Viewpoint. Unfortunately looking North into London, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Upright, tall metal objects during lightning - don't be tempted! A strike could easily cause arcing toward you from the lines or the pylon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Here you go guys and gals - Anyone who is going to travel to the west country, I recommend going here (that is of course if there are storms in this area).

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/haresfield-beacon-and-standish-wood/

Which according to Google Maps is here.

http://tinyurl.com/oabb93q

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Where abouts Chris? Do you know where Standish Woods is? It overlooks Stroud and has clear visibilty of South Wales. Not sure of elevation but its definitely another fantastic location.

The best one near me is probably North Nibley tower (official name is the Tyndale Monument). It gives you a few across the whole Berkeley and Severn Vale. The only downsides - it is a 5-10 min walk to the top of the hill and you'll also be stood next to (or inside) a rather tall stone tower with a metal cross on the top of it...haha. I generally head out along the A38 just North of Thornbury and look for places. The land opens up into  flat open farmland with some hillier areas - great as long as pick a safe spot. Failing that ...pretty much down to Almondsbury viewpoint.

Another excellent viewpoint that I use the most is the White Horse Pub in buckover and the side road next to it. (just on the edge of Thornbury right on the A38). Again this overlooks the vale but you can't really look to your east from the pub garden , but you can if you park on the road just along from it. And you can go inside for a pint if it gets too much!

White horse pub with a pint to give idea of view from the benches...heh heh.

post-15172-0-18740400-1434021256_thumb.j

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2