Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia, Weather Chat...July 1st 2015...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Not been too bad here today, little breezy, few sunny spells and still feeling quite Mild out of the breeze.

Does anyone else can't believe that it's Christmas next month? I really think this mild Autumn is making it feel like an extended Summer. The dark nights are not feeling as gloom and doom like previous years, probably because can get out and do more in this current weather, yes the weekend was wet but blimey how mild was it!! On Friday Night we went to a firework party and everyone was in the garden and it was still 15.5*c at 10.30pm.

Also in the pub yesterday we was chatting about not having to dig out the winter jackets yet....long may it continue then give us a nice cold snap in Jan and get it all out the way ready for an early spring :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Just overcast here. Quite windy here though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Ian (fergieweather) has just given his take in the MOD thread on cold weather.

Not looking good I'm afraid with absolutely no(current) sign of a turnaround to colder weather before January.

In the shorter term, there is zero sign from the overnight EC and GloSea output for any transient blocking for the next 15-30 days.

He also says that westerly zonality is the form horse looking ahead and may dominate through much of this coming winter. Backed up by every seasonal forecaster he knows.

Oh dear....

Thank god it's the festive month next month to take our minds of yet another potential snowless winter!

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Ian (fergieweather) has just given his take in the MOD thread on cold weather.

Not looking good I'm afraid with absolutely no(current) sign of a turnaround to colder weather before January.

In the shorter term, there is zero sign from the overnight EC and GloSea output for any transient blocking for the next 15-30 days.

He also says that westerly zonality is the form horse looking ahead and may dominate through much of this coming winter. Backed up by every seasonal forecaster he knows.

Oh dear....

Thank god it's the festive month next month to take our minds of yet another potential snowless winter!

Indeed.  It may be a bit premature to declare "winter over" as one poster has in the MOD thread, but there seems little prospect of anything wintry in our part of the country before the New Year. 

I wonder how long it's been since we had three consecutive winters with large parts of the southern half of England seeing no lying snow lingering for more than 12 hours?  Here, for example, the winter of 2013/14 saw wet snow falling but not sticking (and barely any frosts either).  2014/15 was better, with fewer storms (and no east coast storm surge if I consider events away from my immediate locality) and more frosts.  We even had a couple of inches of snow on the grass, though it lasted all of 3 hours.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

evening

must admit I am not enjoying this benign weather but talk of long spells of cold snowy weather also turn 'me cold', a few snowy spells would be nice though, that I admit.

the current weather is not enjoyable, the sunless period is not enjoyable this long in, been a week now.

Handy to keep the heating bills down.

• Like 1

Posted

To see some folk like this sort of weather does confuse me a nice polar maritime airmass offsetting these murky mild days would be a blessing from what I can see this looks rather obscure - we're approaching mid November all is not lost. Minima & maxima are way above average there's very little diurnal temperature variation and I can't stand it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

That was the shortest winter ever. Thanks Super El Nino  for ruining another winter :angry:  Might as well look for signs of spring now and open the 'when will we get our first 20c' thread. Up yours UK weather!!! :angry::aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

That was the shortest winter ever. Thanks Super El Nino  for ruining another winter :angry:  Might as well look for signs of spring now and open the 'when will we get our first 20c' thread. Up yours UK weather!!! :angry::aggressive:

erm, it's still Autumn

Posted

erm, it's still Autumn

:rofl: Dropped a brick on my foot :D  and needed to take my anger out on something :oops::whistling: better now :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Carol on the beeb saying somewhere in the UK was expected to have broken the November record for overnight (mild) temp last night. She mentioned 16C, possibly in the NE. Not far off that here - only got down to 15.8C. Ridiculous! Anyway, I'm enjoying the current breezy weather, at least it's variety of a sort!

I still think we will see a couple of polar maritime shots during the last half of November. At least that would introduce more seasonal temps with maybe some overnight frosts for us down here. And us snow lovers could pop over to the 'Snow on the Scottish Mountains' thread for a fix! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The plus side of this mild November is that my tomatoes are finally turning red!

Posted

The plus side of this mild November is that my tomatoes are finally turning red!

Blimey :shok: You still have tomatoes :shok: Mine all died over a month ago. Windy, warm and damp, 16.4c.

Posted

Love how some get all worked up about the current mildness...

1. It's still Autumn

2. We have had some of our best Snowfalls in Feb

...Therefore anyone that declares Winter is Over before it's even starts or halfway through needs a damn good thrashing with some of Lauren's left over tomatoes ;)

• Like 2

Posted

Love how some get all worked up about the current mildness...

1. It's still Autumn

2. We have had some of our best Snowfalls in Feb

...Therefore anyone that declares Winter is Over before it's even starts or halfway through needs a damn good thrashing with some of Lauren's left over tomatoes ;)

LOL! Hope they are Cherry Tomatoes :D 17.5c here :cold: :cold: :cold: Just seen a bird collecting stuff for nest building. :cc_confused: :cc_confused: :cc_confused:

Posted

Love how some get all worked up about the current mildness...1. It's still Autumn2. We have had some of our best Snowfalls in Feb...Therefore anyone that declares Winter is Over before it's even starts or halfway through needs a damn good thrashing with some of Lauren's left over tomatoes ;)

They'll be being made into some tomato puree and stored thank you very much! You can have some of the rotten ones though :p

If my memory serves me correctly some of the best winters we've had have started mild. I don't think the famous 2010 Thames Streamer was forecast until very late the day before.

Posted

They'll be being made into some tomato puree and stored thank you very much! You can have some of the rotten ones though :p

If my memory serves me correctly some of the best winters we've had have started mild. I don't think the famous 2010 Thames Streamer was forecast until very late the day before.

6 hours before the Streamer initiated I believe and gave a huge dumping IMBY - I think you are muddled it was 2009?

Posted

Possibly, we had a big snow event in both 2009 and 2010. 2010 gave more snow in my area though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Today has been overcast once again with a hint of moisture in the air. Bit breezy though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A little better today, some sunshine from time to time. Very mild.

Posted

No such luck here in Reading - must be the longest sunless spell we've had here in a long time.  10th day in a row with (so far) no sun and the total for the month is 0.5 hour according to the university's website, all of that on the 1st.

Here December 2009 and January 2010 were the greatest snow events - I was one of those drivers that had to abandon their cars in Basingstoke on 20 December and get the train home.  7 January 2010 was exceptional with 23cm of snow here.  I remember a map showing a pear-shaped area to the south and west of London with the greatest snow depths that day.  December 2010 was much colder of course but we didn't get much snow.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

I find this time of year extremely boring for weather. Yea we have the odd wind storm. Bring on winter. 

Posted

2 points firstly snow was on the famous Thames streamer in 2009 it's been blogged by Paul S on here. It deposited over 18 inches in elmers end where I used to live. The 2010 was not a streamer just incredibly cold weather. It was Dec 1st when that hit as we were watching draw for the world cup hosting party lol....

Now this year. Sorry I hate hate hate this. I have a 20 minute walk to station and the heating is on in train.... I apologize to my fellow commuters but I am in real trouble at moment. I personally really need a cold snap as getting into work drenched is not nice as not knowing which jacket to wear

Posted

I might as well be living underground at the moment. I don't think the sun has shown it's face for about a week now.

Thanks for clearing that up Jimmy, I always muddle it in my head.

• Like 1

Posted

Things look like cooling off as we head towards the last week of the Month, something to watch for some of you wanting winter early ;)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2402.html

Edited by Kent Blizzard