Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia, Weather Chat...July 1st 2015...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

In 1991, the precursor to the freeze up was a lot of fog!

No sign of winter yet, the first part of November looks pretty mild. I would prefer winter to arrive in mid December and last throughout Christmas, if it isn't going to arrive in November. It's pretty depressing when you decorate your house and then look through your window and it is raining and the temps are 14c. Oh and FOG SUCKS but can be a sign of future snow in weather folk lore. 10.1c and clear at the moment here.

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Clear sky here, no sign of any fog at all. At least 20 frogs at the bottom of the pond today when I cleared it out. A sure sign of a cold winter when lots of frogs hibernate deep in the pond !!

Edited by shotski

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The fog has returned here now. Hopefully it will lift again tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

So fog and frogs means a cold winter, sounds good to me..............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Thick fog here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Clear sky here, no sign of any fog at all. At least 20 frogs at the bottom of the pond today when I cleared it out. A sure sign of a cold winter when lots of frogs hibernate deep in the pond !!

'When cold weather comes many kinds of frogs swim to the bottoms of ponds and lakes where they rest on the bottom or partially burrow into the mud. Frogs have lungs and breathe air through nostrils, so why don't they drown when they stay on a lake's bottom all winter? It's because their  highly specialized skin allows them to absorb oxygen through their skin, and giving off carbon dioxide the same way.

Amphibians overwintering in the bottom of ponds must be deep enough that they will not be frozen into solid ice, plus the water must have an adequate amount of oxygen. Sometimes the oxygen level at the bottom of ponds drops so low that "winter kills" of frogs result.'

I never knew that, it would be interesting if Shotski could tell us how the frogs behaved in the previous 2 winters which have been pretty mild. Patchy frog here at the moment. :cc_confused: 9c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Hoping for decent weather this sunday. Hopefully going flying from Biggin Hill.  Very foggy today of course. Felt quite cold considering some parts of the uk being very mild. 

Posted

Spectacular image taken displaying the thick Fog shrouding the heart of London on a commercial plane.

post-19153-0-87532200-1446425272_thumb.j

Very dense Fog where I am it's not been as dense as this in a long time.

• Like 4

Posted

Well I must say I have never played gildvon s more beautiful day in autumn than that I am not joking when I say Sun burn in woldingham cloudless beautiful sky not a drop of wind. Awesome

That was meant to be golf

Posted

Morning All

Basking in 20 degrees plus here in SW France, however I was supposed to be in London now but my flight has been cancelled due to heavy fog.  I understand you had similar problems yesterday with fog, my question is, is it going to be just as foggy tomorrow morning, I am trying to work out my options as I must be back in the UK tomorrow somehow.

Cheers

FC

Posted

Morning All

Basking in 20 degrees plus here in SW France, however I was supposed to be in London now but my flight has been cancelled due to heavy fog.  I understand you had similar problems yesterday with fog, my question is, is it going to be just as foggy tomorrow morning, I am trying to work out my options as I must be back in the UK tomorrow somehow.

Cheers

FC

From what the bbc forecast have said yes,   it will be as foggy  (maybe not as thick me thinks) but clearing quicker and no fog by tues eve down here as breeze picking up.

Edited by seaside 60

Posted

A bit strange reading all these descriptions of record-breaking temperatures and sunshine yesterday, when in Surbiton and then Reading we experienced greyness and fog all day, with 11 degrees the highest temperature showing on the car thermometer. Driving back from Reading at 5pm the fog was very thick indeed; luckily, perhaps unusually, drivers around us seemed to be taking it slowly. Thick fog again this morning for the drive from Surbiton, through Heathrow and on to Uxbridge, with the fog still heavy across campus. Yes, frozencanals, BBC going for fog tomorrow morning, but as seaside 60 said, it seems likely to clear more quickly.  

• Like 1

Posted

Talking of which its cleared already and peeks of some brightness.

Posted

From what the bbc forecast have said yes,   it will be as foggy  (maybe not as thick me thinks) but clearing quicker and no fog by tues eve down here as breeze picking up.

Thanks for the update, Seaside 60, flights tomorrow are already going for a Kings Ransom, so I am not taking any chances and I will drive back to Southend, a nice early start tomorrow.

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Nice and sunny after a foggy start, looks less thick than yesterday over the channel. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No fog here this morning and the sun has just made an appearance. Not too bad, at 12C, either! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the fog here today simply lifted into low cloud and it has been gloomy all day. A shame as I was able to see the moon through the fog this morning and was hopeful of another fairly quick clearance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm guessing at a blob of higher-level moisture spreading from the SE, Cap? I too could see the moon through last evening's fog, but that lifted into low cloud overnight. Now, thankfully, it's all moved away to the NW...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Cloud, similar to that which Matt described, is thinning here.  Pity it won't be long before dark. :angry:

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster

Posted

Yeah there are a few holes appearing here now, far too late though to save the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The fog descended super quick. On my 15 minute drive home it went from very, mildly misty to viz of about 15m.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

We had lovely blue skies this afternoon when I went out for lunch. 

The fog is descending again rapidly now.