Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2015

Posted

I've had a look myself. The GLOSEA model which these ensemble maps are based on seems to be suggesting the possibility of a very unsettled, stormy autumn followed by an increasingly blocked, cold winter period. I think this seems to be the progression which I have seen touted by a few so it's something to keep an eye on as autumn progresses. A very 09/10 progression.

Interestingly the model also keeps that anomalously cold patch of water out to our west.

One last thing to note...the drift from the raging +NAO autumn pattern to the very -ve NAO winter pattern on this model is quite pronounced so maybe this model is picking up on the likelihood of a fairly major SSW late Dec/early Jan time?

The JMA has updated the seasonal ensembles; the rest of autumn/december looks a very trough dominated season.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/gmd/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/4mE/map1/pztmap.php

On the other view for SST anomalies.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/gmd/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/4mE/map1/zpcmap.php

Looks like the anomaly gets a bit stronger through autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Blackberries are late around here too, not many of them this year either. However, it's been a good year for apples, pears and plums, albeit ripening later than usual.

• Like 1

Posted

Possibly more the cool late spring maybe? followed by a generally cool summer with little heat around here, the big difference compared to 2013 which saw a notably chilly spring, but was followed by the very warm July. Last year was anomalously mild/warm throughout, hence the very early start to autumn season, it makes this year feel very late, but perhaps only a little later than normal. This should be peak blackberry season here. Would be interested to see if those in the south and south west are still awaiting peak blackberry season.

since the subject has arisen, i hadn't really thought about it but (here in the south east) we have some monster brambles which have needed cutting back but very few blackberries as yet.

Posted

Yes here in Somerset the blackberries are quite feeble. Some are ripening but going musty quickly and unpleasant to taste. Not a good year for the brambles. Sloes look good though. Currently shivering, feels more like early November here. It seems like autumn started early August.

Posted

it does feel as though Autumn is lagging a bit here. Some trees are turning but i'm sure we are usually at a more advanced stage by now? Seems strange to me seeing as the weather has been autumnul since the end of June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Possibly more the cool late spring maybe? followed by a generally cool summer with little heat around here, the big difference compared to 2013 which saw a notably chilly spring, but was followed by the very warm July. Last year was anomalously mild/warm throughout, hence the very early start to autumn season, it makes this year feel very late, but perhaps only a little later than normal. This should be peak blackberry season here. Would be interested to see if those in the south and south west are still awaiting peak blackberry season.

We had our first Blackberry crumble back in mid August but to be fair there hasn't been a bumper crop and most of the berries have been quite small and not as juicy either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I can't tell if I've missed the blackberries or they just haven't come out yet. There were a few out on our blackberry bush around late July / early August, then nothing more came of them and there are only the odd few around now. Very different to the previous few years which have been brilliant for blackberries.

On the contrary, this year has been brilliant for cherries, raspberries, crabapples and plums in our garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

I can say down here that the berries have been in abundance this season. The brambles in particular have been impressive. Trees though are finally starting to turn. A proper autumn week this week too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

More like a typical winter's day today rather than autumn down south. 15C, windy with heavy showers. Usual Christmas day weather :D Had loads of apples this year, all but one were maggot infested, as for the squirrels, they raided my nuts extra early this year. :(  Looks like high pressure could move in for October. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

More like a typical winter's day today rather than autumn down south. 15C, windy with heavy showers. Usual Christmas day weather :D Had loads of apples this year, all but one were maggot infested, as for the squirrels, they raided my nuts extra early this year. :(  Looks like high pressure could move in for October. :good:

Those darn pesky varmints!! Lol.  Looks like HP for the weekend coming. Just transitional or something more permanent as you say?

• Like 1

Posted

First blackberries were out here in Kent at the end of July/beginning of August, and we're now onto the 2nd lot of ripening.  Very few compared to other years though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Trees are turning here early this year, usually October before they start to loose their leaves. First frost also this morning, albeit on the grass. Autumn is here!!

Posted
Complete write-off sums up this garbage month so far. A miserable 41.9 hours sun for the first half putting it on a par with 1962 (45hrs) and 1968 (41hrs) - the two dullest September's on record- so it just doesn't get any more vile than this. Just four days have managed 3 hours of sun.

This weeks low pressure is just giving exactly the same as last week's high. Slate grey stratus rubbish off the North Sea with spells of drizzle :wallbash:

Can't emphasise how much I despise this dismal, depressing SE'ly gloom. There is nothing worse and this is the 4th consecutive autumn month to be dominated by it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Complete write-off sums up this garbage month so far. A miserable 41.9 hours sun for the first half putting it on a par with 1962 (45hrs) and 1968 (41hrs) - the two dullest September's on record- so it just doesn't get any more vile than this. Just four days have managed 3 hours of sun.

This weeks low pressure is just giving exactly the same as last week's high. Slate grey stratus rubbish off the North Sea with spells of drizzle :wallbash:

Can't emphasise how much I despise this dismal, depressing SE'ly gloom. There is nothing worse and this is the 4th consecutive autumn month to be dominated by it.

I think you really need to move. According to your profile, your 5 most recent posts; the first sentences all contain very negative words...

I.e write-off, ghastly, poor, worst and vile.

Lol.

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 1

Posted

4th consecutive autumn month?... how many months of autumn are there in scotland?? mind you, winters coming- up beyond the wall.... it lasts for years... then there's the white walkers...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

4th consecutive autumn month?... how many months of autumn are there in scotland?? mind you, winters coming- up beyond the wall.... it lasts for years... then there's the white walkers...

I was under the impression they only had winter and autumn in Scotland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

I despise the British climate full stop.  I wish I'd ignored my family and got out of Britain 35 years ago when I had the chance.

Thanks for the posts on blackberry development. Yes it doesn't look a vintage year for blackberry crop, very few around here, many are small as well.

I was scoffing blackberries/brambles when I was out walking the dogs this morning, and very delicious they were too :D There are loads round here, MrsC recently got a breadmaker which makes jam too, so I'm thinking about picking some fruit and giving it a go. Could probs pick a pound of fruit within a couple of minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

I was scoffing blackberries/brambles when I was out walking the dogs this morning, and very delicious they were too :D There are loads round here, MrsC recently got a breadmaker which makes jam too, so I'm thinking about picking some fruit and giving it a go. Could probs pick a pound of fruit within a couple of minutes.

Interesting as around here they seem to be well behind normal, although at the coast near Haverigg they were ripening nicely last weekend and we picked about a pound in ten minutes.

I went for a walk at lunchtime  and on the fell road I quite anachronistically came across a lovely perfectly ripe Raspberry - about 4-6weeks later than I'd expect, admittedly it's fairly high up but very late I thought!

By the way, seems to be an almost total absence of hazelnuts this year in these parts, anyone else got that or are we just missing out on a glut elsewhere?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

We are stuck in the summer pattern. Nothing has changed. It's still warm and dry with neverending southern winds. No change in sight.

send it this way, could do with a southerly waft, feels like coolest summer on record here, with just 2 hot days