Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 18z 31/10/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

There's absolutely no current sign (stress current) of such a turnaround before January (note too today's update of the GloSea5 prognosis for D-J-M on the UKMO website and the switch towards +ve temp anomalies - albeit rather weakly - versus the October output looking into same period).

I've looked at the Glosea5 output Ian, obviously you're privvy to more information than us but to my untrained eye it looks decent for a mean Scandi trough and perhaps a mean NW'ly airflow into winter.

Dec-Feb

2cat_20151101_mslp_months24_global_deter

Jan-Mar

2cat_20151101_mslp_months35_global_deter

Temperature profiles misleading from looking at those synoptics perhaps?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've looked at the Glosea5 output Ian, obviously you're privvy to more information than us but to my untrained eye it looks decent for a mean Scandi trough and perhaps a mean NW'ly airflow into winter.

Dec-Feb

2cat_20151101_mslp_months24_global_deter

Jan-Mar

2cat_20151101_mslp_months35_global_deter

Temperature profiles misleading from looking at those synoptics perhaps?

But surely those are mere anomalies, CC...Does a mean SLP of 2 hpa lower than average (over a three-month period) equate to a specific weather-pattern?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

But surely those are mere anomalies, CC...Does a mean SLP of 2 hpa lower than average (over a three-month period) equate to a specific weather-pattern?

I don't want to derail the thread but this can also be applied to shorter range anomalies too....A mean NW'ly airflow would of course not preclude periods of SW'lys, for example, it merely suggests higher instances of airmasses between W'ly and N'ly origin. Which, incidentally, has been the theme of the model for the last 3 updates or so.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

What I read is the term 'blocked' not in the offing [which is fine,  as that does not preclude pM or aM air getting to parts of the UK.  Re Nov the pattern is trying to shift and flatten the Continental block and from me it will succeed with potential 'wild' spell starting last third Nov......kitchen sink could be coming to town

Even this as we build up will bring nasty wind funnel conditions to lee side of pennines....and probably a not required big drenching to windward side, western Highlands, Wales etc

airpressure.png

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted

What I read is the term 'blocked' not in the offing [which is fine,  as that does not preclude pM or aM air getting to parts of the UK.  Re Nov the pattern is trying to shift and flatten the Continental block and from me it will succeed with potential 'wild' spell starting last third Nov......kitchen sink could be coming to town

Even this as we build up will bring nasty wind funnel conditions to lee side of pennines....and probably a not required big drenching to windward side, western Highlands, Wales etc

airpressure.png

BFTP

just had a look deepinto fantasy world there look like no let up reg rain lots  of  it heading   uk  way  i..e  floods  next

floods

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.p

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I don't want to derail the thread but this can also be applied to shorter range anomalies too....A mean NW'ly airflow would of course not preclude periods of SW'lys, for example, it merely suggests higher instances of airmasses between W'ly and N'ly origin. Which, incidentally, has been the theme of the model for the last 3 updates or so.

In a way, I guess we agree. But a forecast anomaly is precisely that: it indicates a marginal increase in the likelihood of certain patterns, of course; but, it doesn't necessarily follow that those patterns will ever materialize???

IMO, history tells us not to put too much faith in long-range forecasts... :)

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

just had a look deepinto fantasy world there look like no let up reg rain lots  of  it heading   uk  way  i..e  floods  next

floods

GFS is getting consistent now with some worrying totals in western Scotland well over 100mm widely and over 300mm for some parts at the same time the south sees very little rain

144-777UK.GIF?09-12192-777UK.GIF?09-12240-777UK.GIF?09-12

Flooding and landslides quite possible for some western parts of Scotland

• Like 1

Posted

floods

Indeed TB, a concern and I think MetO warnings will come if this continues to come to fruition

Interesting feature from ECM neartime, could be a bit 'lively' locally

ecmt850.096.png

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hi Folks . Looks like a simple outcome , Jet Stream powering its way to the UK, so a mixture of southwest/west and northwesterly winds in the days ahead. Now for the Difficult part. Models differ from one to the next ,but there could well be problems with rain and wind during this time period along with big fluctuations in temperature , models especially Ecm show a demise in the Euro high, Thank God for that and let the party begin....... :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

post-6830-0-86282300-1447101822_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-80389200-1447101876_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-65969200-1447102008_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-27973000-1447102047_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted

Returning to the near-term, watch for the interesting set-up into tomorrow AM running showery rain - some heavy - from west to east across southern Britain. This meso vortex (or vortices) emanating from the trough disruption down off Portugal will cross above the rear part of the 14-16C WBPT plume over the UK, threatening deep instability from elevated bases up at circa 5000ft and tops up to or beyond -20C. As UKMO note, this is "...a highly unusual situation for November", yielding a 30% probability of 30mm being dumped somewhere underneath it (most likely SW England - S Wales) and more widely to 10mm. The uniqueness of the situation means there's no real precedent as to how models have synthesised it all... so a magical mystery tour and one to watch!

Excellent stuff....I for one say thanks for this, what great insight

best regards

BFTP

Oh and thanks Pete.....unworthy...but thanks 

• Like 1

Posted

Post of the day right here.

Hello everyone, my name is Peter and I'm usually an observer from the outside looking in to these forums but I really feel that I have to come in and say something as an outsider looking in and to respond to the despondency levels that have been brought about in here today. I don't think that this fergie guy has deliberately come in one of the most popular weather forums and where cold and snow lovers reside to say or gloat in any way about mild weather. That would be an evil thing to do right? lol I would like to add this though. These Glosea and big MetO models never seen what they called an unpredictable summer coming until it was over, so what's to say they have it right this time around? First post

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11835279/Soggy-summer-was-impossible-to-predict-says-Met-Office.html

That 'fergie guy'? A fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society and weather forecaster for BBC Points West?

• Like 5

Posted

Excellent stuff....I for one say thanks for this, what great insight

best regards

BFTP

Oh and thanks Pete.....unworthy...but thanks 

Agreed  :good:

Just one question on the post, is wet bulb temperature the same as theta-w?

Posted

Wet bulb potential temp is the same as theta-w.

TYVM Knocker. So this is the crazy situation Mr F is referring to, 16c theta-w currently modelled for midnight.

gfs-8-6_zsx4.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Looking at the ensembles we will struggle to see single digit daytime temperatures until at least the last week of November.

I don't mind mild in the autumn but I would rather not see this still going come mid December - even with plenty of Winter left.

I hate unseasonable warmth around the holidays.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

This El Niño keeps moving west....

post-16336-0-02529300-1447117162_thumb.g

Edited by bradythemole
  • Like 1

Posted

Note that the post day 10 gfs op over the ne atlantic (ie. On our doorstep) looks pretty much inline with the extended ECM ens mean from yesterday. Some quite deep depressions possible in association with low mean anomolys predicted. the euro high retreating a bit se but not far enough to enable the mean trough to get across . more likely it sits to our west.